Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb'd LT1 Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gmt900, Jul 27, 2007.

1. gmt900

gmt900

I am having a problem and thought someone here could help me out. The 350 in my 70 burb just shot craps and I really don't have the scratch to run out and buy a crate motor. I have a 95 LT1 and 4l60 in the garage that are ready to run but again don't have the cash to retrofit the burb's fuel system and wiring to EFI.
    I know that GMPP has an itake that will allow me to carb the motor. I have the HEI.
    I can get the block off plate once the optispark is removed.
    What else would be necessary for the swap in terms of thermostat and 4l60 transmission.
    I am really not looking to start a debate about the wonders of fuel injection related to carburation. The 4th gen and LS-1 computer nerds have killed every informative thread on the net thats been started on this subject. So any solid information would be appreciated

Thanks
    Mike

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The 4l60 will need a standalone controller, not just a lockup kit. The transmission also doesn't have a mechanical speedometer output. You may want to consider reusing your original trans for a low buck swap. Also an electric fuel pump since the LT1 block lacks mechanical pump provision.

IMO, the optispark has an undeserved reputation due to weeping seals filling new replacement optis with oil and killing em. Maybe look into the standalone opti controller and skip the conventional distributor.

Good luck

3. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

the LT1 has a roller cam so you will need the proper melonized distributor gear or the cam will chew up a normal cast one.

4. gmt900

gmt900

I am assuming that the term melonized means that it is tapered on both ends from the centerline out? Ditching the 4l60 and using the TH400 any other suggestions??

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Engine will probably have a 195 thermostat if you're concerned about that. If you want cooler you'll have to get one from a performance manufacturer (hypertech), you can't just pick up a 160 therm at the local parts store like a SBC.

Hopefully the 400 converter bolts up to the LT flexplate since the old 2 pc main plate won't work. May end up with a parts store replacement to get a dual pattern if there's a problem.

Bet it'll run great. Good luck.

Edit- crap, just realized I posted twice in an OT question cause it's a 70. Damit. Sorry all.

6. gmt900

gmt900

I really appreciate the insite. Seems like every time I get into something like this I get everthing blown apart then start chasing the monkey on little details like flexplates and little stuff.

Thanks