Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suicide Front-end Pic's wanted.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte

Here's the front of my frame that I'm building for my '34 Chevy sedan hot rod project. I didn't like the look of a Z too much and came up with this idea. The kickup portion is tapered from 4" down to 3". The tube cross member will stick out past the frame as I want to mount the headlight stands to the portion that sticks out. The ends of the tube will get domed caps welded on. The lip channel on top of the frame rails is to align the frame until the cross member can be welded in and that will only happen once I've got my spring perch plates from the profiling shop.

The suspension is '38 Ford and I'm moving the spring behind the axle over the tie-rod like in the blue T-Bucket in my previous post.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Here's mine a swapmeet tube axle with speedway batwings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ya must be doing something right!!!:D

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ahh dont worry that guys probably always pissed off, hes probably married and the wife drives his loser ass aprond the house and will not let him build anything with out her OK! i've come accross alot of bitchy winey losers on here. and of course they always think you are the bitch or wine-ass...hey its just like life but now at the speed of light thanks to the internet..dumb asses come at you so fast you cant smack them away!

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Great pics guys love all the pics, the FORD I beam axle looks straight forward. The Wavy Tube is gonna take some thinking, it looks like 4 bar with bat wings is the ticket on that.Hey T.P. if your following this, having a 2 level fusion on the 10th, not looking forward to this...But looking forward to getting started on my projects...

6. Moonglow

Moonglow

Here's my project A in progress.

It'll use an underslung (reversed stack) spring set up on spilt & extended Model A wishbones.

This will allow for ride height adjustment and I'll keep the original (not dropped) model A axle.

Just another way to go about it. :cool:

Attached Files:

7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Now thats a killer approach, I've got 3 straight ford axles and a mess of front springs, have any more pic's on how your gonna attach the spring, also when you say reverse stack what do you mean by that?Or is it just reversed eye's???And how did you go about reversing the stack/eye's?

8. Moonglow

Moonglow

Glad you like my unconventional approach.

I'm making ears from the old spring set to bolt on to the inside of the wishbones. They'll project down a few inches. To reverse the stack, just take it apart, flip it over and reassemble so the bottom spring faces up (looks like a smile rather than a frown) and place the other leaves on top. No pics of this yet. I'll post some when I get it done.

I'll drill several holes in the ears so I can adjust the ride height. This set up may require a panhard bar to limit side to side movement.

9. Here's what I've got. Thought I had more, but I can't find them.

[​IMG]

10. Think he just turned the spring upside down. Cool look, gotta make sure you have nothing hangin' below the scrub line!

11. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Nice, I'm kinda leary on the Plymouth/Dodge axle with the tie rod out front, but I guess they don't call it a Suicide front for no reason. I mean hell my bike is a 100 h.p. Suicide Shift no front brake ape hanger thrill ride,(for sale cheap if anybody is interested, hint hint, bad back heading for a 4th surgery, kinda cheap)

12. FIRat

FIRat
    from MidWest

What a kick ass thread this turned out to be. How can I be in two camps at the same time!! I am on Neo's side 100% and then here I pull stakes and land on Ian's soil sample and defend him to the hilt at a 100% pull on the boolean dyno search bar = NO HP on the scale!!!
    Kentucky is stuck in the middle of all this and the hammies hammer this thread like no tomorrow as if you need to send in a search url page.
    I'll type the same old stuff like I do elsewhere. It is what it is. That settles it. I bought property at the other camp site. That makes me 100% right or wrong either way... It's like insurance = I'm fully covered to enter the Internet.
    That tube front end is clean. Works for me. No more need to search. Thanks, Irs30. Any more, "legitimate questions" bothering you? Hokey ASSers are at your service... sans the PMS (I have between my twilight zone).

13. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Well right or wrong was just curious about different ways of doing this, I've bought books, read magazine Tech articles, but I like to talk to those who have done it in the past ,and learn from others mistakes, and success and see what works what don't. I do not like doing stuff twice, so I ask questions, I thought thats what this site was about. I did'nt ask to see "red cars" but so what if I did don't read it if you don't wanna see "red cars" and move on. Oh and its LRS sorry I do not wanna be confused with the IRS in any way shape or form...hahahahah forgive the lower case....

14. atch

atch

you're gonna restack those springs with the mainspring on bottom/shortest on top; right?

seems like the way they are now (normal stack but upside down) that the mainspring will be the only one functioning and the rest won't do a thing.

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

nice pics thanks for that link Sinster Custom I see they are running wire's on there, anybody know where I can find a pair of wire wheels to fit the Plymouth/Dodge front axle, I believe it's 5 on 4 1/2" .

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Well....you can have the axle machined to run Ford spindles.....then all Ford stuff from there.....
    Or WheelKid may have wheels.....

18. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

19. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

WOW! SanDiego Joe, thanks ,,, great volume of pics there.....

20. EEZI

EEZI

A warning FWIW.
    If you are going to be disassembling and restacking a leaf spring, watch out. An unloaded spring still has a lot of energy in those leaves trying to spit them apart. When you pull the nut off, the centerbolt might be shot out of there like a bullet. The leaves' curvatures are more than the main leaf and they want to spring apart.
    I may not be explaining it well, but, I tell you from experience, it happens. When I was younger I bulled right in and started pulling things apart and found that out. Let's just say I'm glad I wasn't standing over it ! Now I know, any time springs of ANY kind are involved there is potential energy involved.
    In regards to the griping in the early part of this thread; if this thread wasn't started, I wouldn't have seen all these cool shots of varieties of suicide front ends, Because I wouldn't have come on today and said "Hmmm, let's go search out suicide fronts." Sometimes you just window shop, not search.

21. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Is that a chrome plated frame? That thing is wicked!

22. Damn, this thread sure took a good turn! Lots of good info here, i'll be marking this thread my damn self.
    Unkl Ian has been here 6 years, he has the right to be a little cantankerous. Some of those grumpy
    old-timers really know their shit, try not to piss them off. (I'm sure you didn't do it intentionally)

23. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

No problem. Make sure that you take pictures of your build up and post 'em on the HAMB!

- Joe

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here are a few snapshots of the front end design I built for my "A" Sedan that rides 3" off the ground.
    Hope it's some help.

Attached Files:

25. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

He was the the one that jumped my ass if you look back I was as Kind as always, I'm here to learn, not have a pissing match. I was ready to throw in the towel , I even said thanks.. I was not trying to start any crap what so ever. I only offer advice when I know it has worked for me(check thread's /post's).And I always thank those who take time to reply, as I will continue to do. And I wanna thank all those who have helped with this post, lots of great info on here by those who have done this stlye before, hell who know's Unkl Ian may hold the magic key to all this but he oppted not to post any positive influence here so he was judged by a jury of his peer's.I never went off on him at all, nor will I.

26. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

27. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Ryan is my homie, all around good guy, so If somones cranky please go step on somone elses toes.

cool of you not to buy into it Ryan, good to hear from ya

You should check out Skotty chops kustoms, I think hes on myspace, He builds some crazy looking suicide frontends

28. Moonglow

Moonglow

That's right, the stack hasn't been reversed yet, so the photos don't show it yet.

29. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Yhea what Rustypipes said.......lol Thanks Bro..glad you got my back....will check out Skotty Chops for sure, I take what you say as gospel, just cause everything you say is, well GOESPEL......Thanks Bro....Next Round is on me...

30. HulaZombie

HulaZombie

Couple of questions;

Why do they call it a suicide front end?
    Other than looks does it do any thing for performance/handling?
    What is the difference in the front ends?

I think I know the answers to the questions, but I've always wanted to know for sure?