Register now to get rid of these ads!

bought a mess of a shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slag Kustom, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

been bored with working on my A so bought this shoebox from a friend cause he was being outed from his shop. planned on fixing it to sell but still not sure.

pictures are of what i started with

Attached Files:

2. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Man, you must be really bored.

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

what i have fixed. chop is all welded up just need to do the door frames now

Attached Files:

4. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Looking alot better.

5. klazurfer

klazurfer

The only thing that bothers me is that your friend didn`t ask for your help when he started working on that chop-job .
    You sure know what it takes !!
    Excellent Work !!
    Klaz:)

6. rodknocker

rodknocker

good for you Slag, taking on what others would scrap.I know you didn't chop the car but it looks like they split the roof and moved it forward,seems awkward to do both, but maybe I'm looking at it wrong.Keep up the good work

7. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

it is not so much that the roof is slid forward but the quater windows are slid back to keep them larger

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Wow...sweet man. Sure wish I had more than 1 day in that POS total before getting rid of it, this way I would not be scrutinized by the almighty "pro typers" on the forum. It was done for fun to take a break from teh 51 Ford we were working on...the lines started coming out right tho so I was figuring going back and finishing/fixing stuff. Lost the shop lease, was either going to storage or getting sold.

Id love to see some pics of the two folks work above tho...Im sure its all 100 point show winning kustoms only...finished in a day or less. I bet.

9. I try to reserve judgement on people's work until the work is done. I haven't done a chop top yet, so when I do I will probably make mistakes along the way. But, that doesn't mean that the end result won't be bitchin.

10. teddyp

teddyp

chris didn,t you have a post on this car that it was a p.o.s.that you chop just for the fun of it ? slag looks like you are turning it into a nice car glad chris chop it and slag is doing the car a parts car is now on its way to a car again ! chirs some people judge without knowing the whole story slag please keep us post on the work done on car

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Teddy, I think you're thinking of the O'Doyles that chopped that rusted to death shoebox just for the hell of it. They wanted practice before they cut Chris's. That car was unsavable, and they put up an ad in the classified here giving it away.

Chris, glad you found the car a new home. Too bad you lost the storage and I have no doubt the quality of the work would have turned out as nice as the last one you did.

Slag, keep posting progress pics. It's looking great already. it needs a nickname as catchy as the "crispy duck"

12. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

cant wait to see this done

13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Shoeboxes are a poor man's Mercury, who would ever mess with them.

14. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i will not be finishing this car. i plan to finish the chop and replace the floors, inner-outer rockers french tail lights, 53 headlight rings and prime then sell it and get back to work on my model A

15. old beet

old beet

Sould be an easy sell, good lookin car!...........OLDBEET

16. DROPnDRIVE

DROPnDRIVE
    from New Jersey

...P.O.S. or not, I gotta say it was a fun couple of hours we had into it huh chris?! didn't mind the beers christina brought for our "half time" break either!

17. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

thats what I was thinking

18. Looks like you saved a chop that was started by an amateur....good looking end result!
    I hate to see the chops where they START-cut the roof all to hell and quit....some books on the subject are even loaded with erroneous tips that would indicate that is /was.... the way to cut a shoebox top....
    Im sure glad you ended up saving it- I believe it will be a good finished car now!

19. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Those of us that have them,,, Duhhhh

20. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

he is kidding cause he is building one

21. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I was hoping so,, Thats why i didn't call him a douchetard,, I'll leave that to the ones who know him!

22. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Coupes arent as easy to chop as sedans, I love the stance and perportion of the chop! Looks tough! How many inches all around?

23. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

front is a 3" vertical and 4" in the rear

24. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

That looks like the right amount of chop, some people slam chop and just dosnt look right, nice save and good luck with the sale...How mutch?$$$$ Roach.

25. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

not sure on what the selling price is going to be. it is all going to depend on how far i go with the car.

26. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Oh come on, its more fun when people on the internet across the world call me a douchetard. Plus, Slag always calls me weird names that I can't understand haha.

27. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I got ya,, would ya like spanknuckle better??:D

Slag how much warp are you getting in the roof? I gotta repair to do and want to know what I'm in for!

28. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

there is next to no warp in the roof now. but i did have to spend alot of time with the hammer and dolly to get the metal right.

29. Da Tinman

Da Tinman