Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found a car far-far-far in the woods - best way to pull parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Mistersponge

Mistersponge

2. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

4 wheeler, small generator, right angle grinder, and a sawsall. Should be able to salvage any parts you want with those.

3. Dirk35

Dirk35

I was going to say the same thing. We generators and lived out in the woods for a little over two weeks our last training in Wisconsin. Surely you can get a little generator and a couple of power tools out there.

4. InPrimer

InPrimer

one more thing if its summer bring wasp/hornet spray don't ask how I know......

5. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

First I would round up Your best friends, let everone carry something. ATV if it will work, or a friendly moose who would haul so out.

I found a 57 Chevy on a farm hauling wasn't the problem. The lack of power available. She said no torches & pick up the sharp metal cause she didn't want the cows eating it!

We took the following with a hack saw, a gas powered cut off wheel, a cold chisel. A air chisel's sheet metal panel cutter powered by a hand hammer, a BFH, pry bars, gloves and bandages or tape to keep the blood off the new parts. I cut a 57 Chevy 4 dr body off, at the floor line, then took the complete solid floor. Cars Inc. has one now for about $2,600. It cost me at the time $20.50. It took awhile

The car must of come from the desert, The solid body looked like they dropped boulders on it. Last but not least something to eat & drink, till You can get to a more suitable place to savor the find.

6. Gigantor

Gigantor

More great ideas ... thanks fellas. Anyone know where I can borrow a Sikorsky Cargo Hauler from?

7. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

8. roddinron

roddinron

Cordless impact would be nice to have out there, as well as the sawsall. Look into renting them, or check out ebay. And I'd wait till the leaves fall, and drive back, if a 53 Chevy made it out there, a 4x4 should make it. Or, if the truck can make it, look into renting a gas powered compressor, and take your air tools.

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

10. 1952henry

1952henry

I'll talk to my neighbor. He is a mechanic at the facility in Central Point, OR where these birds are built, actually rebuilt. They have the license to start building them from the ground up now. I got a tour of the plant yesterday. Someone's tool box had a sticker that said Jackson County Choppers.

I think he said the lift rotor would set you back $1m or so.

11. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

You don't need the big bird, the smaller version will do just fine. There's one rated at a 15,000# lift (if I recall right) and the last time I rented one, (about six years ago) it was $60K.

The bugger is pulling flight plan permits as you're not using traditional air traffic lanes during a lift...

12. Download Google Earth and find out how the Chevy got out there in the first place... Maybe there's an easier way to get to it than a walk straight from the house

13. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I've never seen one, but I had a buddy who had a chainsaw with a steel cutting blade on it. I bought a transmission from him and it supposedly took him 15 minutes or so to drop the entire front K-frame out of the '99 Contour. He cut the mounts, the axle shafts, etc with the chainsaw.

14. FIRat

FIRat
    from MidWest

Did you say an hour to get there? Gas in and gas out for the 4by. When can I befriend your friend so I can pick-a-part the ATC/Quad/Bring Metric!! Kidding!!

Backache for the grill out of 120 plus pasture. So, did the extra gas can come along with the little generator to work the extra battery up to the sawzzzall of it up? Have at it!! I'm Kidding!!

I would work out as like jogging? Bring lots of whatever presents to your friend, as you hike his land for the grill with axe, nut breaker, GM Goodwrench has a good can of rust thread salvage the grill nuts off first. Do you have a backpack with the few tools you know work the grill and other parts you know you need?
    If you don't walk out with the grill that day, (you salvaged the other parts with what you had = ebay to pay for all that gas to your friend pays for the grill after your 4th attempt - Kidding!!) at least another attempt (another day for the grill), with the tools needed, (the present he justly deserves over and over as you visit all that soil) and how do you walk out with that grill?

Better construct a dual wheel light weight grill carrier that is easy to roll and maneuverable thru all that vegetation to take the grill upright at a 45 degree angle out of that place is just a suggestion to all the great suggestions that are better than this suggestion.

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

That sounds like gas powered death.

16. Gigantor

Gigantor

If you've never been in the Maine woods, it's kind of hard to describe just how THICK the trees are. I had to turn sideways and shimmy through trees to get to this car ON FOOT. There's really no way a 4x anything will make it without seriously destroying some trees in the process (or a truck or atv) and this new friend WOULD NOT take kindly to that, I assure you. I imagine it will take several trips to get the parts I want (grille, bumpers, trim, steering wheel, etc.) but it's hard to argue with free for parts I want.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep you posted on any progress. I'm probably going to have to start working out Rocky-style to be able to lug all those tools and parts back and forth over such a long distance.
    ADRIAN!!! ADRIAAAANNN!

17. INXS

INXS

Is this really the last '53 Chevy grille in existence??

Just kidding, I get all excited about finding old stuff in the last place I'd expect it to be. Some great ideas here. Good luck with your harvest!

18. rdachsdog

rdachsdog
    from michigan

I'd go with the quad and trailer, but bring a generator and electric sawsall, easier than bringing as many batteries as you'd need.

19. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

I would rent a pipe saw, looks like a chain saw 'cept where the bar would be on a chain saw, there is a belt which turns a consumable disc (12"x1/8") get a disc that is used for steel decking. Then I would get a good 'ol jackson wheel barrow to lug the treasures back. btw tell your new friend that those thick woods should be select cut, for over all health of the wood lot.

tc

20. AntiBling

AntiBling

I would just try some wrenches and WD-40?

Seriously, I just pulled some parts off a 51 F-1 that had sat in North Dakota mud for 30 + years, winters, rain, humidity and all. No doors, no front suspension, no hood, took off the front shock mounts and the steering box. I figured I'd need the flame wrench to get the parts off but for the hell of it soaked some WD-40 on the nuts and bolts. Came right off.

Seriously that's what I would try before I started trying to move tons of tools and/or generators in there.

21. Deano

Deano

Gigantor I know how thick the woods are here. I also know how thick the BUGS {Blackflies,Mosquitos,Deerflies]are. How the hell did you survive them?

22. the helicoptor or esay is sounding better allthe time:::)))

23. Sounds like what a guy I know called a "demo saw" - gas powered, rotary cutoff wheel, very portable.

My weapons of choice are a $99 Pep Boys 1200 watt generator - 48 lbs - and regular plug-in sawzall and grinder with cutoff wheels. I've completely destroyed cars in a short time with that rig, and it all fits in a radio flyer wagon. Don't forget some loppers for the branches and crap.

24. gearjam1

gearjam1

-I use one of the small rechargeable circular saws, with a cut-off wheel attached. You'd just have to bring several batteries, and even more cut-off wheels.

25. meteor

meteor

26. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I think I'd just go to the swap meet and spend $500 for a nice one then set back and drink beer for the rest of the day.

27. kustom_kreep

kustom_kreep

sounds like you should find the nearest cross road to the creek if you had to turn side ways four wheeler wouldn't do that butt surely something could drive down the creek bed then throw every thing you want on top of the hood and drag it all back to cross road

28. fuzzface

fuzzface

How about getting together with the local boy scout group and take them on a wooded hike. Then when you get there play a game of "lets see how much of this car you can carry out." Case of soda is cheaper than a case of beer.:) Anything useful I would mention was already said but do remember plenty of water, bug spray, and cell phone just in case of accident. Steve

29. If you are going back there in the fall(September),I would suggest a couple of things:Warm clothing,at least one other person to accompany you,and a large caliber sidearm.Northern Maine is full of wonderful wildlife;some of it very unfriendly.

My ex-father-in-law had a place in Forest City which is about as far removed from civilization as you can get.Everything from hordes of hummingbirds to very large moose.You would be amazed how rapidly a thousand pound moose can move through thick underbrush when it has a mind to.And then there are the cuddly bears......

30. rixrex

rixrex

A big can of WD-40, multiple pairs of vice grips, and one of those handles that fits on a single hacksaw blade, take a bunch..watch out for flaky chrome its sharp as a razor...one of those little insulated backpacks for yer beer...