Register now to get rid of these ads!

? on Smitty's glass paks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by REJ, Jul 19, 2007.

1. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

How long does it take for these mufflers to start sounding off?
    A friend of mine put a set on his 30 coupe, small block Chevy, 2" pipes mandrell bent all the way out to the back. This thing is quieter than my new pickup??

2. nexxussian

nexxussian

I thought the Smitty's were Steel packs. No I'm not trying to be a smart ass, this time at least. I have never had a set of steel packs (just the cheap auto parts store glass packs) let alone Smitty's. I remember though if you wanted the guts to rot out immediately (damn near) all you had to do was soak them in water overnight, and run them good and hard immediately after you put them on. That was so you could tell the cop "why yes officer I do have mufflers, see?". Which usually made it louder than straight pipes. Must have been a resonance issue.

Hope that helps.

3. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Yes, Smittys are steel packs, they woulnt get louder untill the steel inside rots away...My brother had them on his merc, and didnt start to get louder and sound real nice till about year 4 or 5....So, yeah, I also heard to soak them in water before you put them on if you want them to be louder faster....

4. alchemy

alchemy

From personal experience, so far, I can tell you 1,583 miles won't do it.

5. Smithy's is a name brand thats been around for years.

Ive always used Cherry Bombs, better flow, and you can hear them right away

6. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

i've had mine on for about a couple of years now and there are starting to sound good!

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Smittys are no longer steel packs - haven't been for a while I believe.

I have Brockman mellow tones - you can order them either glass or steel pack - I got steel packs & they sound great.

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

same as soaking overnight,

A buddy put CherryBombs on his daily and drove the shit out of it for a few hours, got the packs good and hot. Stuck a garden hose up the tailpipe and when the water hit the 'glass it "shattered" and now the bloody thing is loud!

9. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

it took mine around 1500 miles or so. there glass packs now.

10. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

I had Smithys behind my flathead and hated them, too quiet. I have red generic cherry bombs on my Galaxie and those things are about to fall off from rust after only 2 years.