Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harvey's Broiler Razed Illegally!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Tom C

Tom C

Let me know when the shirts/stickers are ready and I'll buy some.

2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Will do!
    Thanks in advance;) :D

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Not for me. This cause is too important. I can definitely find $20 to save an important piece of architecture.

-Dave

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks Dave,
    I will go back through these posts & see who wants one? We are most definitely are attempting to save a very important part of our Car Culture History.
    Thank you,
    Kevin

5. $20 is fine...that should sell well......Thanks alot CK!!!

6. klazurfer

klazurfer

I sure would like to help out !
    Will send cash as soon as I know where to send it :)
    Klaz

7. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Count me in on a shirt as well!

I drove past it a while back, what a shame that it got so damaged, but at least part of it is still intact.

8. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I drove by there a about three months ago and noticed the graffitti, it just added insult to injury. I heard about the broiler from friends that lived in the area, unfortunately I never got to go before they closed it down and turned it into that stupid car lot. I was pissed to see it! I thought of how pissed I would be if they did that to Bob's in Toluca Lake , ( I go there quite often). I was curious, did you or anyone try to talk to the local residents nearby in those apartments? They got a good bird's eye view of the place, I know its hard to try and get people to help but they would be the best people to keep an eye on the place and immediately report any suspicious activity. Let me know about the cruise, I will try to get a few my friends to come down and show some support also.
    -Aaron.

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Gonna try this again as when I went to do a preview, It locked up:mad:

We have a person( Analisa) who lives in the area and keeps an eye on the place, but can't be there 24/7 :( She is part of the Coalition to Save the Broiler. The apartments are owned by Christos-I don;t think that they'd help.

You mentioned Bob's Toluca Lake, That place too had a date with the wrecking ball in 91-92. Wayne McAllister even got in the act- The Leisure Architecture of Wayne Mc Allister by aquaintance of mine Chris Nichiols which has many cool shots of the early Bob's chain of restaurant in addition to a very cool pre-canopy shot of a cool 29 A Bone roadster w/bobbed rear fenders.

That is the highest grossing Bob's in the chain:D.The owners saw the light and they make money hand over fist. Better than a 8 story building on the site.

We are working very hard to save this landmark, It takes up more of my time than I care to admit. Is it worth it, Definitely, I want to see it rebuilt in its entirety and I want future generations of young cruisers to get to have and create memories of their own.

Back in the late 80's, Frisco's openned up on the other side of Downey, They took alot of the cruisers away from the broiler, some returned, street rodders did not? Well just for shits & giggles Gal Pal Pat and I took in the wednesday cruise night and decided to eat there,My previous personal experiences there have never been good, this time was no different.
    Pat was extremely angry as well as I & I will never return there to patronize the place (I may go look @ the cars though).

This place is FAKE and what I seek for the Broiler is purity.

As for the money donations, I will see what Burny can do about setting up a pay pal acct. These $'s will only be accessed for the good of the Broiler.

Thank you.
    Kevin

10. troppo

troppo
    from australia

i`m mainly a lurker here, and as i`m on the other side of the world theres not a lot i can do, but $20 us is fair for a shirt, put me down for one...
    its for a good cause and i`ll be proud to wear ir
    cheers
    troppo

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thank you, Will send a PM when we get finshed, need money from the personal coffers in order get em made. We really appreciate the support. I guess I better get to back to work with Cyclone so we can generate funds.;)

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Kev,

Nope - I think if you guys set up a PayPal account, you'd get shirt orders rolling in. In fact, I'll bet you'd sell more than you guess.

I don't know anything about Harvey's other than what I've read following this thread, but I do know I love these types of places. I'll likely never get to see the place unless it's saved. A shirt purchase is the least I can do. I'll be others feel the same.

I always need another cool shirt! :D

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Ernie,
    How is the weather in the So-West? Bet a whole lot more humid than England;). Thank you for the good words,we will need all of the support that we can get. Harvey's was the premier drive in to show off your hard work that made ones rod or custom a true standout.

I feel as you do.These places are very special-It is very sad to see it in it's current state, We all hope to recify this great injustice.

If you want to learn more, feel free to email me,
    Thank you,

Kevin

14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Court is today @ 1:30 pm Ardas Yanik=Perp is requested to be there, let see if he at least wears socks when he goes today if he even decides to show @ all.
    I'll let ya guys know what happens.

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Went to court last week and again today. Here is a status report.
    The case was continued till this week, The defendant Lardass Yanik, Destroyer of the Broiler supposedly showed up today with Atty Ronald Seabold
    The case was to be heard in the afternoon session, but was heard before in the morning session. Needless to say,Adriene, Pat & I were more than a little upset, We called the city atty and found out that basically the 7th continuance sought by the defense was granted and will reconvene on Aug 29th due to atty's vacations.
    Man, I feel like hell! nothing is getting resolved here!

Now for the real news! An Unlawful deatiner has been filed against Ardas Yanik by Christos Smyrniotis. This means eviction time! but we still don't have a copy of that. Any commercial real estate HAMBers out there? I woud like to really find out what this would mean to the laymen.
    www.savethebroiler.com is now up thanks to HAMBer Burny.
    pretty soon, everyone who wants to help will be able to do so @ this web addy. so do what you can to save the broiler.

16. Sailor

Sailor

Is this the right person in the City of Downey to mail? If so, Im going to do it as well.

I have been away from the HAMB more or less for years. The reason is a very busy job: I work with preservation of old buildings in the City of Haugesund and also as the buildingcontroller in the inner city (this is a small town). Similar things as the shit that happened to Harveys Broiler has happened here in the past. Demolisionwork on a pretected building without authorisation from the city. Back then the owner had to rebuild the building under control of a person with specialcompetence on this type of building (that would be me today) so that the exterior was exactly the same. This is offcourse not the same as the authentic building, but it had a very preventive effect on other viceguys thinking about the same; getting forgivness rather than permission. This guy did not get a single more m2 out of his newbuilding than he allready had. If he had refused, daily fines would have started running after a certain date. We have two such daily fine-cases running pt. If the illegal demolisionwork was done in such a way that it posed any type of danger it wold have been a policematter.

I have no idea which kinds of artillery guys in my position have in the US, and Im very interested to find out.

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yes that is one of them, Also Kirk Cartozian. Thanx for the insight abroad!!!!! Good luck with yours as welll

18. NoSurf

NoSurf

Wow. That website looks kick-ass!!! Hurry and a make up some shirts, I want one.

Also- maybe you can email me some kind of flyer (or I can put the web addy on the webpage) and I can print some out and hand 'em out at the KKOA show in Salina next week.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Burny

Burny

NoSurf,

PM sent...

20. Ya know, some of us are going to a BBQ at Goozgaz's place Saturday. Let's plan to make a pass by the old Harvey's on the way there. Sort of to keep it on the radar.

21. John Denich

John Denich

Thats a great idea Phil....

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

No Surf,
    Thanks for posting it! Burny did a great job on the art work
    Again we are getting ready to make this a Non-Profit organization.

I see that Burny sent you a pm so that may cover the fliers, if not pm me & I will get you some. Do what you can to get people come out west for the 14th of Oct for the Harvey's Holy Ghost Cruise!
    email for info. Thanks everyone for the support of this piece of americana!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Whoa! Kevin, are you aware that the 14th of Oct is during the Hot Rod Reunion?? That's where a whole lot of us will be. That's a MAJOR event for many of us. If you're really commited to that date, I'll just have to send my best wishes, man. I really hope you can change it. The CHRR would be a great place to pass out flyers to get a big turn out. Something to consider…

24. I agree with Phil...my guys will be either at the reunion or a club event in Bisbee...we really want to make it over for support.....

25. John Denich

John Denich

yup me too...I will be at the Hot Rod Reunion!!!!

John

26. Well. I just got off the phone with Cyclone Kevin. The Oct 14th date is NOT set in stone. And I'm glad too. Those who want to come on the Ghost Cruise should throw some ideas out here about what date seems to work best. Especially those who are coming some distance away. IMO, this should be a fun thing. There's a lot of talk about having some live music and club involvement, as in, clubs providing trophies and, well, just about anything that seems like a fun thing to add to the mix. I know we're planning dash plaques and T-shirts, at least. We ARE a creative bunch and I have a lot of faith in us to do the right thing.

So, let's keep this at the top and kick it around a bit. We can do something good to remember the times we all hold dear and accomplish saving a true car culture landmark too.

Ol' Harvey Ortner is smiling from Cruisers Heaven, I'm sure. We'll make him proud…

Chili

27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Been kinda of busy this week with our friend Adriene, who is key to saving the Broiler, being in the hospital for back surgery, All looks well, she has a 4 month recovery period ahead of her.
    So here is the original reason that we chose the 14th of Oct for the date of Harvey's HOLY GHOST CRUISE.
    Adriene who is from the L.A. Conservancy's Modern Commitee and I felt that if this was to be a "National Cruise to the Broiler", we would have to have an additional draw. We looked through "Miss Informations-Calender of Events" There wasn't much listed on the 14th of Oct, so If people who were truly interested were to attend,then they would need to leave the east coast on Oct 7th, so that they would have a week to drive the back roads here take in diners & drive ins roadside cafes,take photos and experience what we are losing everyday to developers and speculators.
    We are concerned about the weather changing and possible participants having to dawn rain gear. Having the California Hot Rod Reunion that same weekend as well as Pomona could be a good draw,but I will leave this up to those who would like to participate in this event. Right now the web site is getting set up so that you can have a looksee in its construction phase,there is a direct email link to me, so I can be contacted there as well.
    Really guys, let me know what date would be better for you, we are open to suggestions. We want to make this work for all involved.

28. Good luck with it, I'll be a ghost on the cruise, as in I"ll be there in spirit.

29. Burny

Burny

I'm there either way...Sunday is an off day for the HHR- so I think it will be a nice capper...

What do you all think? We really need nail this date down, whatever it might be. Seems like the only other viable weekend is the 21st of October, but we are getting late in the season for aome of the East coasters.

Please post your thoughts...

30. Burny, I don't know what you mean by an off day on Sunday. I'll watch the last few cars run, I'll be tired, sweaty and hoarse from visiting with friends from all over the world. I'll have a dirty car, full of stinky clothes and my ice chest, chili pots and EZ UP. The CHRR is my favorite event of them all. I'll wring all the juice out of it. So, if it's the 14th of Oct, I and several others, I'm sure, will have to be content to look at the pics you guys take. Get lots of rest and train hard, because you'll have to have my share of the fun.