Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody ever deal with a 54 lincoln??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the duke, Apr 18, 2004.

1. the duke

the duke

Hey everybody. Theres a 54 lincoln four door a guys got near me thats 500 bucks. Its got rust on the front fenders and running boards but isn't to bad the engine is seized but its been sitting inside for a real long time so probably isn't to bad. I was wondering if any of you guys has ever worked or owned a 54 lincoln two door, four door or whatever and what you think about them, I don't know what the displacement of the engine is all I know is its the original V-8, and the interior in the thing looks like it just came out of the show room.
    thanks the duke [​IMG]

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I dig them 52-54 Lincolns, but I'm a Weirdo! [​IMG] [​IMG]

For five hundred bucks, I'd buy it if the frame and floor weren't too bad. The mint interior is worth it alone...four door or not...it'd still be a cool cruiser!

I'd drop in a 351W/C4 combo myself...cheap and easy...then just drive the wheels off the thing! [​IMG]

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It's a 317 Lincoln Y-block with a GM Hydramatic transmission. They're awesome cars. I'd love to own one, though my taste would run more toward a 430 than a 351. I suppose a 460 would be an acceptable compromise (cop out).

Great car to cruise and the two-doors even have racing pedigree!

4. the duke

the duke

thanks for the displacement info and incouragement guys! [​IMG]

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I suppose that means it's too late to say that I'd be interested in taking a look if you don't want it, eh? [​IMG]

No biggie, you just owe me a ride now is all!

6. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Check out various web sites featuring the 53-4 Mexican Road Race Lincolns. They were 4drs and indestructible.

The 317/341/368 were the sizes used from 52-7 and are interchangable. The Holley teapot carb is a nightmare but a Carter WCFB will bolt up or you could buy an adaptor for the large base carbs. Upgrade to a 57 ignition also as the early ones were the same Lodomatic crap as all FOMOCO.

BTW, the 332 big truck motor 57-1963 wide pattern 4 bbl intakes and dizzies are interchangable.as well as the 57-63 302 dizzy. Around this way lots of 332's in rotting away F700-800 bodies.

And as mentioned if the Y scares you off just about anything will fit and not affect the handling as the 317 is very heavy.

A 429/460 & C6 combo would be a real cheap swap.

7. moparrodder

moparrodder

Duke, get in touch with Custom Lincoln Lady as she and her husband have a 54 Capri custom, her husband Rob is a builder and they could give you some insite on what is involved. Theirs is a real cool cruzer. I don't have their email addy right here but if you can't find it ask Denise(HRLC) and she should be able to help you out. Debb and Rob live near Fort Wayne Indiana, probably only a few hours away from you. It sure sounds like a good one with potential!! [​IMG] Bill

8. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

She is a SWEETHEART and her husband Rob is a RULER.......
    We just built a custom rollpan,for a trailer this weekend. It was an HONOR to work with him........

9. the duke

the duke

thanks for all the info 286merc that will someday be helpful, and thanks everybody for the info!

10. Wicked54

Wicked54

I am currently building a 54 lincoln 2dr and so far it has been pretty good to me. I put a 350/350 combo into it and she drives and rides pretty good right now.

The only problem I have run into is trying to find original parts, such as tail lights, bumpers, etc.....

11. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Those guys were talking about me!!! [​IMG] Were actually on our 2'nd 54 we also had a 53, it was a more door too! We have always loved lincolns. (we like going for the different, less popular cars) LOL

We have a lot of body mods done to ours, looks nothing like a 54 anymore [​IMG] (looks better) in MHO. were still running the stock driveline 317Y block and hydromatic tranny. Put a lot of miles on it with no probs. We do have a cracked exhaust manifold, but have another just need to get it swapped out.

we thought about putting the 351w that we have (for the 29A were building)in the lincoln with a c6 and putting the 317Y in the A. but we prob wont do that. to many other things to do to the A at this point. The 317 has never given us any probs. we did switch to 12v and changed the carb, after spending close to 400 for pony carbs to rebuild the orig. It never did run right [​IMG] with that carb.
    Its kinda fun to see peoples faces when you open the hood and they see the orig v-eight in there! just something else a little different.

I'll prob get this wrong but, I see the mexican road race was mentioned also. Lincolns won 1 & 2nd and 3rd two or three yrs running, if memory serves.(been a while since I researched it)
    the only probs we had was finding parts, since its wasn't a high production vehicle as far as numbers. its a little harder to find body parts and stuff. we got lucky and found one right here in town just days before it got crushed. we got the hood, decklid and some misc parts from it. Then about 6mos later we bought the motor that was in it (another 317 that had been rebuilt) from someone else. LOL never occured to us at the time to get that, oh well, have it now.
    I had located a guy in NY, but think he has gone out of business since then, got a lot of NOS stuff from him, he wasn't cheap though. He had several Lincolns that were his private collection also.
    I think you should get it!!! but, I am a little bias, lol
    Debb

12. Gracie

Gracie

I bought a 54 Capri Lincoln 2 door for 500 that was pretty bad by all standards but Alabama's... I sold it back to the guy I bought it from when I moved to Vegas... they are beautiful... but that engine has to go!

13. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

I'm the original CAR WHORED (tm) I love old motors and never pass on a deal (as in free) I have a friend with a 54 and a 55 lincoln 2 door hardtops, the 54 was a great runner with a late four barrel and a 8 quart (mexican road race) oil pan.and a solid hydramatic. his lincoln now has a 350/350 and my garage has a free 317 with Hydro [​IMG]
    sitting right beside a 55 cad 331 and Hydramatic with 120,000 original miles Same price (free) [​IMG]

Attached Files: