Register now to get rid of these ads!

Titles/registrations for sale?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, May 31, 2007.

1. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

Looking to do a model next after the T is done but will by a restorable one. In Nebraska if you have most the car you can get a title issued for it. But needs to be most of a car and have the state DMV will hook you up with someone that can verify it is a stock model A and then they will Issue you a vin and a title for it. after that your free to do what you wish with it. According to a friend Lenord they newest car that he knows they have done has been a 39 ford. but it is suppose to be up to 48. Although I know a lot that have taken a purchased title and stamped the vin on the frame and then used that. It is all what you can get by big brother. The big flap last year in Californa was most the guys doing it were trying to get out of paying the proper sales tax on there 'Boydbillet bombs"

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

You think maybe some DMV guy somewhere just might be reading these posts? The term shooting off your foot comes to mind?

3. old dragster

old dragster

I need a 1923 ford or chev roadster engine that has a TITLE. I could arrange to get the engine in a couple hundred years. Just need the title right now. 409/963-8606

4. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Technically, no DMV should be registering these cars by frame number. The engine number is the official number. Whoever owns the engine block owns the number. It seems to me that the practice of registering cars by frame number is creating much of this mess. On the other hand, the replacement of engine blocks in these old cars over their many years of existence also has complicated things. I suppose that fact is why DMV's started accepting frame numbers. What a mess!

Makes me feel lucky to live in Alabama. This state didn't have titles until about 1976 or 77. Any car made before that is registered on a simple bill of sale.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Little off topic O/T.But i solt a Harley title for 800 bucks back in 1990 and some guy built a bike with it..now the original bike was burned up and totally gone!

6. old dragster

old dragster

correct me if i'm wrong. An old gentleman told me that an 1923 ford model T did have the engine number stamped on the frame. Ssooo, if someone had an engine out of a '22 or '23 or '24 T I could purchase the engine w/ TITLE. I could receive the title and make arrangements to get the engine in 20 years or so, thanks ph. 409/963-8606

7. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

No frame numbers from the factory on T's until Dec. 1926.

8. shtmtlchk

shtmtlchk
    from Ohio

I need some guidance here people. I have a 1954 Ford that the title was not changed in time and the individual who sold us the vehicle passed away not long after making the transaction but didn't get the title changed. What can I do? I need to get a title for this vehicle. Any suggestions would be helpful.

9. have the estate apply for a lost title and then have the administrator of the estate sign it over to you

10. shtmtlchk

shtmtlchk
    from Ohio

Yeah we are trying to do that. She seems quite reluctant to do so. Any other suggestions?

11. reluctant? i've had the problem before....i tell them " i have the car , you are not getting it back , i'm going to be driving it..it's in YOUR best interest to get it out of your name"

do you at least have a bill of sale , so no one else can claim it?

when was the car last registered? is it in your states records? if the state still has it in the records , you will need the paperwork done properly...you don't want someone claiming it a few years later after you have invested time and money

if there are no records on the state's file , that is another story

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Jersey actually had a thing at one time to try and get all junkyards to turn in the titles they had,,offering like a few bux or a dollar a piece or something..Needless to say it did'nt work well......

13. shtmtlchk

shtmtlchk
    from Ohio

I think this was a reply from you 36-3. It started with reluctant? Thank you for the advice. As far as I can tell the car hasn't been registered for at least 11 years. We are going to try and ask this lady to work with us again so the title will be switched to the deceased estate and then have her sign it over to us. I certainly hope this works.

14. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

IIRC, Ohio requires a notary to sign off that both the seller and buyer signed off the title. I'm not sure how you can go about this without having someone notarize it. Once that is done, you should be able to go to the county seat and get it done.

15. In Ca, the guy with title must have a supporting VIN verification showing the #'s on the title match the frame and the body in 2 places.

Most old cars did not have 2 easily read vin locations. If they dont see two, you go to the CHP and get to take your car apart.

Actually the guy with the frame or the engine only has a better chance of convincing the clerk that what they have is good enough to register the #. Alot of times if you bring supporting documentation, such as a restorer's book that shows the vin's, they will sign you off.

If someone else has your # already, off to the CHP you go. If everything inspects OK, you get a "blue tag vin" which basically is used for reconstructed salvage or special construction cars.