Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doing stuff all by your self.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Strike, Jul 10, 2007.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Lone wolf here - it's enough to make sure MY fingers are out of the way - much less anyone elses.

2. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea loner here too.

3. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i think we were seperated at birth ......

4. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

thats my biggest helper, she just helped me put the front clip on my car. i have a good friend that lives two blocks away but he has a new wife and kid and doesnt allways have time to come help lift. but she all ways comes thru. but i work 90% alone cause im an asshole. but i like it that way most of the time. i tend to loose motivation with others around. o yea tommrow she gets to pull her first engine alone out of her donor car. ill be there to supervise.:D

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

wow, a lot of loners here, like myself!

i recently moved, i had lots of time to be moving my shop stuff to a new location, did it all by myself, including some very big and heavy items, a 12-1400lb cast iron table, a "small" power hammer that also weighs 12-1400 lbs, an even smaller one at maybe 800 pounds, and my big 600 pound vertical compressor. everything moved by myself with only a cherry picker and my ol freakonoline van. then when it came time to move the house stuff...i needed help! kinda hard to get the cherry picker through the door and up the steps to move a sofa or washing machine!;)

6. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Andrew- you could of called but I was busy......getting ready for Rock Baby!

As for doing it by yourself, I actually hate working in the shop if my dad IS in there. And if I'm working and he comes out to work, I usually leave. Its too much hassle. I love the seclusion, and the ability to just decompress over spinning wrenchs. Like somone said above "the conversations never get boring". And the last thing I want is someone looking over my shoulder, armchair quarterbacking, and generally slowing me down, and hampering my progress. Most friends are even worse they come over and just want to B.S. and drink beer. I like to do that, but sometimes you just want to be productive.

So yes, solo is the way I roll In Da Shop.

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Ya, ya. I hated to miss, but had shit going on for work that night....course, that did not stop me from hyping it. Any local show gets a boost from me, no questions asked.

Didn't any of you loosers take pictues! I wish I could see some.

8. My pops usually works by himself too. Not long ago he had to swap slicks on his drag car and the car was on the trailer in his garage. He decided he'd leave it on the trailer and jack it up and remove the rear wheels. Well he got it up, and as he was pulling the wheel, the car came towards him and pinned him against the wall til my brother got there and saved him. He was there about 20 minutes, stuck.

9. bohlsd

bohlsd

Been doing it alone most of my life. Most "friends" want to hang around, drink beer, tell you fast their car is, point out mistakes that they wouldn't have made, etc, etc, etc. Gets harder to do by yourself as you get older. Fortunately got young, strong, dumb nephew to help with some of the heavy work.

10. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Working alone is great, you can do it your way, BUT when I do things l consider dangerous I prefer someone that can make a telephone call around. I once was working under a car and got my hand pinned between the trans and the frame, I was not hurt but waited several hours for a friend to show up,a situation I do not want to repeat.

11. I also do almost all of the work by myself. Just seems to be the way, friends are busy or have their own stuff, so I just figure out a way to do it. Pulling engines or re-installing them, chassis work, whatever. The only thing that can really hang me up is when i can not reach around to hold something from one side while turning the wrench on the other. Fot that my wife will hold the wrench while i loosen it up or tighten as needed.

12. Dirty2

Dirty2

I do everything by myself . Well Danyelle (4 Years old ) is there. I have took bodys off cars , changed motors. What ever I do by myself..

13. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Help is great if you can get it. My brother and I swapped out the suspension and lowered one of my cars. I, my brother, and my mom put a trans in one of my other cars. Then there was the time my mom and aunt helped me pull an engine and a trans. Occassionally my girlfriend helps me out, but lately it's mostly just me. Today I suprised myself when I deadlifted a '29 Chevy truck front axle that was complete drum to drum and moved it across my backyard- when you consider that I weigh about 112 and am 5' 3" that's no small feat. You generally do whatever it takes to get things done - just be cautious if you're alone.

14. i always use help, my FORKLIFT! all-terain duel wheeled 6500# cap fucking monster. best investment i ever made. my portable piece of heaven.

15. I work by myself for the most part.

Its a good idea to have someone close when pulling a motor and trans together. Especially with a cherry picker extended all the way out.

I've had them get front-heavy and go over. That is a ride you soon wont forget. The bottom literally comes out from under it and the motor comes crashing down. Usually smashing something, including people parts.

I like to have someone standing on the back end of it for ballast.
    If its a big block, you might need 2 people on it.

The best thing about working by yourself, is you can blame only yourself for fuck ups.
    I just realised today my flexplate is wrong, after I thought it was the bellhousing.
    I pulled the bellhousing first, front pump came off with it. Small washer thing in trans slid down into the depths.
    New trans must come apart now. This truck was a flexplate away from being a driver...