Register now to get rid of these ads!

429SCJ Questions-Got a New Mill for the 57!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser57, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Gasser57

Gasser57

I'm pleased to announce the Chevy is coming out of my Ford. After 10+ years of faithful service, it's being replaced with a stroked 429. My questions are:
    Has anyone ever dropped one in a 57 or 58 Ford, and if so, is there a motor mount that works. I've put a few other engines in 57's, but not one of these, just wondering if there's an easy swap. If you have any info or advice on this, like headers, clearance tips, etc., I would love to hear your input. Thanks.
    Kevin

2. texrodder

texrodder
    from dfw,texas

Good choice,the 385 series engines are brutes,and easy to work on.I built a 57 ranchwagon with a 429 thunderjet a few years ago and got mounts from Crites Restorations,it was an awesome kit,here is there link.
    http://www.critesrestoration.com/

3. That oughta be a blast when it's done

4. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

You've made me so very happy. Tom was telling me about this Friday. I'll be able to replace my screen saver with an even smokier picture!

5. Gasser57

Gasser57

Thanks, Texrodder. I'll order a kit from them this week. They even have headers in case I don't have another set made. Did you use their headers or another brand. Or leave the stock manifolds? How much did your front end drop from the extra weight?

6. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Very cool. Now I wont be able to say that its a slow poke on other forums... :)

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Chris always runs his mouth about how cool your car is, but how a gasser should be fast as hell. Just tell him its faster than the Altima. :cool:

I may be way off on this. Isn't a 429 based off or is an FE block? Or am I thinkin of a 428? If I'm not off my rocker, it should be a pretty straight forward install. I wouldn't say bolt-in, but 57 and up Fords did come with 390s which were FEs as well. Once again I may be crazy but thats off the top of my head.

8. texrodder

texrodder
    from dfw,texas

NO PROBLEM,yes I have used their headers,worked great.It might have dropped 1/2" at the most , but I also swapped to granada spindles and brakes at the same time so I am not sure how much it did drop,anyway good luck..

9. texrodder

texrodder
    from dfw,texas

The 429 is basically a destroked 460(less stroke),totally different than the FE motors,that would have made it to easy for us guys if Ford made most of their engine families more similar, we probably wouldnt want to do it anymore without the challenges of swapping.

10. Gasser57

Gasser57

Thanks again for the info, texrodder. I've seen 57's with the 429's in them, just wasn't sure how much hassle was involved. I always try to pick the brains of the guys who have already done the job, saves a LOT of trial and error headaches. I really appreciate your input.
    Chris, I guess I'll be going faster now. This means you won't be seeing me in Connecticut unless I hit the lottery, because gas mileage is gonna REALLY suck. I'm almost done with my other 57, the ranch wagon with the 5.0 and AOD, so we'll be up next year for sure. You'll still be able to bust my balls for having rusty rocker panels:)

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ya I wasn't positive. So what the hell was I thinking of then. 352, 390, and ??? I'm having a block right now.

12. Sander

Sander

Not a 57 but a 50 Ford. I put a poked and stroked 429 in it. The mounts I made myself and the headers I got for a 429-460 into a Fox Mustang swap headers from Hooker. They're 2" primaries 31" long, with 3 1/2" collectors, they're big but they fit...barely.

[​IMG]

I swapped out a small block Ch**y to put this motor in, and it is much easier to change the plugs on the 517 BBF than it was with the SBC.
    I lucked out as well as the car was originally a 6 cyl car. I don't know about 57's but on shoeboxes the 6 cyl cars mounted the radiator further forward that V8 cars.

These motors kick butt, with a pair of Flowmasters, there is no sweeter tune.

Sander

13. Gasser57

Gasser57

WOW! That sure looks nice in there. Got any shots of the whole car? Any E.T.'s?

14. Fordman75

Fordman75

Sweet! Glad to hear you're putting a Ford engine in it! I'm swapping a 460 into my 54 F100. Keep us posted with the progress!!

Slowandlow63 The FE's were 332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428, 428 CJ.

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

You have rocker panels??? My Merc will be jealous!

16. spare parts

spare parts

Chech out www.galaxyclub.com/articles.Subject :engine swap from F.E. to LIMA. To those who do not know F.E. 's are 352/390/427/428 and Lima's are 429/460. The article shows how to take a stock F.E. mount ,turn it and drill a hole in the motor mount and slot the frame mount for lowbuck engine swap, no need to spend big bucks.57/UP frames are very similar and the .F.E.'s started in 58.

17. dmarx

dmarx
    from Michigan

I put a 390 in my 57 ford Custom Tudor 16 years ago, still have the car. The engine fit like it was made for it.

18. This is great news! Let me know if I can lend a hand! Don