Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Vic, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

Lately, every time I log on to the HAMB and try to open a thread it takes forever to come up and some times it will knock the internet out. Is it something with my computer? I do better messing with Flathead Fords then I do with computers. Another question. How do you down size photos to post them on the HAMB?

2. Toystoretom

Toystoretom

To resize images I use this:

http://www.resize2mail.com/index.php

If you do a Google on "image resizing" it will give you a bunch more choices.

On your computer being slow and HAMB pages loading slowly it could be a lot of stuff. Do you have some old Spyware software running in the background that is trying to block pop ups? Same goes for old Anti Virus stuff, Norton is famous for screwing things up. Also check your settings for pop ups on your own browser.

Also... you should have some sort of antivirus and run it every once in awhile. I use the free version of AVG. AVG is super. Get rid of all that other junk.

http://free.grisoft.com/

Try clearing your cookies once in awhile and make sure your security settings aren't set too high. I don't know what browser you are using but generally if you look under "tools" you'll find this stuff.

Speaking of browsers... I use Firefox simply to avoid the problems you have. Its kind of a different beast compared to all the other Microsoft dribble out there and the hackers and spammers don't mess with it too much because it just not worth it for them. If I ever quit spending money on cars I'm thinkin' Apple and Linnux.

3. butch27

butch27

Mine too: It takes a long time to go from one post to the next??

4. mcload

mcload

Vic: Sounds like you are out of memory. Think of it this way: your PC has a bucket that holds all kinds of pictures, documents, and crap just so it will bring them up quickly when asked for. If this bucket is full to the brim, it cannot hold any more. When you ask it to do something like open this website (and download the forum pages), you computer has no where to put it and shuts down as a result.

There are two things you should do about memory: You need to get rid of all the crap that you either never look at anymore, or you can burn it to a CD (to save), then delete from your computer. The second thing to do is either take the computer to some corner computer guy and have him install bigger memory chips, or, if you still have the manual, you can locate these yourself, pull them out, and replace with bigger ones. In some computers, the memory chips are cheap; in others, they are expensive. (If your computer is old, I'd rather see you put that money towards a new computer.)

You can check to see what photos are being stored in your computer by doing this: Click on "Start" lower left, then "Search" then choose "pictures". In the search box, type ".jpg" (w/o quotations), then enter. Any file with that ending will be listed or displayed so you can save or delete.

I would also go into control panel>add/remove programs and see if there is any software in there that you can live without. If you don't know what it is, then just leave it.

You should probably defrag your hard drive if you've never done that. Let me know and I can walk you through it (it's easy). Failing that, you might just take it to a small corner computer shop NOT a big box place like COMP USA. They can go through the computer and update it...and trouble shoot your memory problem. You need to get this problem fixed before you can start worrying about posting photos on HAMB.

Over and out.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The advice provided by Toystoretom is excellent. I tired it and it increased my speed. I had the same problem.
    Thanks,

7. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I think the HAMB is always slow. I'm not sure if its a server load issue, or a bandwitdth issue. I'd imagine its a server issue. If ryan was getting hit with that much band width need(enough that he exceeded his connection), He would be paying out the ass for hosting. If he is Colod somewhere he should be able to look at that server loads for that particular box and see how hard its getting hit.

It could also be a database issue. I have not ever looked at Ryans source code to see what kind of DB he is running. If the DB has grown to big, it could be taxing the machine with disk access times. AKA drives are to slow or have to little memory.

Anyway, I spend hours a day on here, and need to become an alliance member. I would like to help the cause and not be a part of it. I am not complaining even a little bit. I'm just saying that I have noticed that the HAMB has never been a very fast site to browse!