Register now to get rid of these ads!

Used speed parts dreamland?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Jul 2, 2007.

1. john56h

john56h

2. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Kinda strange. In a way I'm kinda mad, because you know there are hundreds of guys out there that buy everything in sight just to buy it, not cuz they need it for there hot rod, like most of us. This is why we can't find shit anymore and when you do the seller wants four times what it's worth, after all, there was only so much of this stuff made, right? In another way, I'm thinking if someone does buy it, I hope that they sell it at decent prices (yeah, right). Whatever happens, I don't think it's a good deal at 1.5, that's way too much, don't ya think.:D :rolleyes: ;)

3. That pisses me off

4. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i am OVERWHELMED just by the pics. i think if i was there in person i would have a stroke!!! :D

it would surely take a lifetime to amass sush a collection. i bet you could turn a profit on it if you had the time to list it all on Ebay and the money to invest in the first place. would be nice to get all these goodies back out into the world..

5. mcload

mcload

Clearly a guy who runs a salvage operation that's ready to cash out...he's just floating a trial balloon; won't get any bids. Either he or someone else will have to start selling the pieces on Epay or just (gulp) sell it all for scrap. A monumental task in in front of someone!! Hopefully someone will step in and somehow save this stuff...what would you do and how would you go about it? If he wants a million bucks, then just open the doors and charge 5 to 100 bucks max for each part...the world will beat a path to his door; he'll have his million bucks, and most of the stuff wil be gone.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Be pissed all you want, but realize this....at least some of those parts would no longer exist if he hadn't bought them and stuffed them in that building. As hard as today's prices make it to believe, a lot of that stuff went through a time period when it was basically worthless. I remember picking Hurst shifters off the dump in the late '70s/early '80s, as well as a few intakes that bring top dollar today. Would you take a pristine '33-'34 Ford coupe or '57 Chevy hardtop and turn it into a stock car? Probably not, but I remember a time when it was commonplace to do so.

7. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

This has been posted so many times I lost count on eBay ..Looks like he still has no fishes on the line ....

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i'd have to hire a couple of buddies and get a couple of computers and just start lsiting parts on Ebay as you slowly dig through it. you'd have to run it like a business..... OR you could just have one big auction... it would probably take a week to auction all that stuff off though.

9. SHRUM

SHRUM

That would have taken me 2 weeks to put all that on ebay.

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

This pic says it all........

[​IMG]

Rich

11. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

You know what ?? I bet if that guy didn't spend his life scrounging up and collecting all that crap, most of it would have been melted down years ago.
    Just think how much rare stuff he saved that will hopefully end up back in circulation.

Oh, and think how many german shepards were saved too. haha

12. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Its a very sad sickness.

-Jason

13. john56h

john56h

I would guess that he'd rather sell EVERYTHING than have to move it all if he sells just the land.

14. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i figured the pic of the dogs was put in there intentionaly to discourage any would be theives.

15. That is too much cool stuff for one person. How about a group purchase? HA! HA!

16. COS

COS
    from KCMO

As GONZO would say "GOOD GOD MAN"

-COS

17. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Probably. I wonder if you buy everything if you enherit all of the government and epa that are probably on his ass daily to clean up? :D

18. I ran across 5 step vans in a boneyard several years ago. They were filled floor to ceiling with intakes, valves covers, carbs, etc. Some of the stuff in there is now very expensive. I peered in and saw 2 things that I needed, but screwed up by asking first instead of just grabbing what I wanted. The owner wouldn't divide the parts, it was all or nothing. Being a young kid, and not rich...I had to pass. Guess he had stuffed the "piggy banks" for the future, kinda reminds me of this guy.

19. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

20. 30ChevyCoupe

30ChevyCoupe

Well I don't know about you guys, but the fact that he is throwing the canoe in with everything is what sold me. :)

I think the worst part about it is, that if you bought it, it would take you the next 10 years to even figure what you all had. But it does look like you might be able to get most of your money back with a couple of those parts.

21. From reading the comments at the bottom of his ad, it sounds as if he will still sell parts. If you see something, contact him and see what he wants
    for that item. Worst he can do is quote as price higher than you like.

It would be nice if some hot rod friendly person bought the yard and kept it going. But.....who would that be? Although the price might actually be realistic for what is there in the long run, the special person with the big bucks is hard or impossible to find. We had an area salvage yard containing a lot of 50s and 60s cars. The owner's health got bad. He tried to sell the entire place, and nobody wanted to buy it. Another salvage yard would take a portion of the stuff that intersted them.....but that was not what the seller wanted. So he sold off all his memorabilia, gas pumps, certain good restorable and/or running cars.....then sold the remainder to the crusher. A few guys did buy complete (such as they were) cars, and he sold containers of old assorted parts (like a school bus or box van full) for $100....so some things were saved. Now one less salvage yard with old cars.

22. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

He's offering a discount, there must be $500 worth of change in that milkcan...

23. Squablow

Squablow

He's been listing this at 1.5M for a while now and (apparently) has yet to find interest in it.

I think he'd be better off to warehouse about 10% of the stuff he has (the real cream of the crop stuff) and auction off the remainder in a well advertised live auction like VanderBrink or similar. Get rid of a big percentage of the bullshit parts that are just taking up space. Then eBay off the good stuff or sell the good stuff in one lot to someone who'll sell it off in pieces.

Good to know there's still big stashes of stuff out there to keep the hobby supplied.

24. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

I'll pass on this , I think I'll keep my 1.5 mil , gives a new meaning of the term Dog Fucker

25. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

the 80/20 rule applies; only about 20% has any value - the rest is just rusty car parts. Assuming ya bought it - whaddya do with it? The cost to move the inventory would run thousands of $$$...

26. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:rolleyes:

I will be 60 years old my next birthday ... IF I paid him 1 million dollars ... I would not live long enought to sell enough stuff to re-coop the million ...

Plus ... I do not have the million :(

27. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

someone said that 3wlarry was going to bid on it and do a hamb auction for each pc......

yeah, has come up before but it's worth looking/dreaming again..

28. 5window

5window

You'd have to be a serious parts guy to buy this deal. $1.5 million?

Come on,wouldn't you rather have 15 $100,000 cars? How about 30 $50,000 cars. Or maybe 75 hot rods like mine?

29. Doesn't it come with the land and buildings? What's that real estate worth without the cars and parts?

30. john56h

john56h

In the description it says "Property is included free". I have no idea what kind of value propery has in Vermont though.