Register now to get rid of these ads!

A lil more Buick Torque Tube info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Been reading and had some questions I could'nt seem to find answers to.
    Car in question 1955

1: It seems like a beefy set up,,almost like something you'd see under a 60's 1/4 mile car,,how much abuse will one take ??

2: did they come in posi ? if not will the GM "P" case fit in one ?

3: would it be a pain in the ass to try and adapt and open drive trans to one?

2. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

i'm currently getting ready to make the swap to an open drive line in my 55 buick. there are adapters that you can get to mate up to late model transmissions they are kinda pricey. then you have to get a shaft made and mate it up to the rear. i'm switching out the rear to a late model gm. then early 60's truck trailing arms. i hear the dynaflow transmissions are pretty solid..but mine leaks like crazy. and they are expensive to rebuild providing you can find someone who knows what they are doing. but the nailhead motor is a torque monster. it's a shame it's backed with the dynaflow transmission.

_Travis

3. I hear ya....I have a 56 with the torque tube and would like to lose the two speed and add a posi. Currently just added all new gaskets-ball and seals to the tube/end of trans and rear end to keep all systems from puking....great fun when you take the cover off the torque tube and you get tranny and diff fluid!

Need to look for the link, but have found a company that does tranny adapters for the nailheads to GM transmissions....buicks.net there may be a link-my memory is a little jacked up...

Good luck!

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I changed my '55 Special over to open drive shaft, installed a 401 & a Super T-10. I kept the stock axle and welded on ladder bars to keep the axle positioned. I had some problems with the ladder bars (too stiff), but resolved them with urethane rod ends from Speedway. If I was going to do it over and I may), I'd go with a four bar set up. I did this about 5-years ago and have driven the car 12-15,000 miles since then, including a couple of long distance trips, with no problems. I also have taken it down the strip a few times, just for shits & giggles and the stock axle has held up well.

5. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I switched to paralell leafs in my 53 to loose the torque tube, it was pretty easy. I ordered universal leaf spring parts from Chassis Engineering, they also have a kit.

6. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio