Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone got pics of a Doctors Coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsleadolds, Jun 26, 2007.

1. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

My buddy has heard of a 41 or 42 Buick Doctors Coupe for sale. Which has us arguing on what it is anyone have any pics of one or a similar poncho or olds. Is it still the reg coupe.

2. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Did you try www.carnut.com

Usually not HAMB style cars but there are a lot of pics of different cars. As far as I know it would be the same as a regular coupe. I have seen older Buicks from the late '20's early '30's that was a doctors coupe. It had a small little seat in the back for where a patient would sit. It was like a extended cab coupe.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This Buick site doesn't list a model called the Doctors coupe. I think there was a marketing campaign in the 30s that bragged about doctors preferring Buick's. The old Buick's had the nick name...The doctors car. I've never heard of a special model "doctor's coupe"...but I'm still learning.:D

My family doctor that first spanked my ass, later drove a 54 Riviera. I was 10 or 12 and already knew it was a special car.

4. noboD

noboD

I'm thinking Tommy is right about the advertiseing thing. In the 20's and early 30's certain versions of coupes were called Dr.'s coupes. They were also known as Opera coupes, had a jump seat for front passenger and large storage box in back. Not sure there was a seperate Dr's coupe this late, unless it would have been the business coupe with no back seat.

5. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

"Doctor's coupe" is slang.

6. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

Doctor's coupe was a type of coupe and roadster from the 20s and 30s. It typically had a rumble seat and a small compartment big enough to hold a set of golf clubs between the main cab and the rumble seat, accessible through a small door on one side of the car. Buick didn't make one in the 40s (in fact, I can't think of anyone that did). So I agree with everyone else: it probably is a regular coupe with the moniker given because of Buick's reputation as a doctor's car.

7. UK Comet

UK Comet

I seem to remember something about the original 'Doctor's Coupe' had extra head room so the Doc could wear his top hat whilst driving. Could be bulls*it but it sounds good!
    [​IMG]

8. LOWLYDE

LOWLYDE

please correct me if im wrong....in 41 buick had a few coupe models a 44s (gm frame 118 inch wheelbase) and a 56s 6 passenger coupe(buick frame 121 in wheelbase) also the roadmaster coupes and theModel

Model Number

Special 4-door sedan (fastback)

41 or 41SE*

Special 2-door business coupe (no back seat)

Special 2-door sport coupe (with back seat)

44S

Special 2-door convertible

44C

Special 2-door business coupe (fastback, no back seat)

Special 2-door sport coupe (fastback, with back seat)

46S or 46SSE*

Special 4-door sedan

Special station wagon

Super 4-door sedan

Super 4-door convertible sedan

51C

Super 2-door business coupe (no back seat)

Super 2-door sport coupe (with back seat)

56S

Super 2-door convertible

56C

Century 4-door sedan (fastback)

Century 2-door business coupe (fastback, no back seat)

Century 2-door sport coupe (fastback, with back seat)

66S

Roadmaster 4-door sedan

Roadmaster 4-door convertible sedan

71C

Roadmaster 2-door sport coupe (with back seat)

76S

Roadmaster 2-door convertible

76C

Limited 8-passenger sedan

Limited limousine

90L

Limited 4-door sedan

Limited formal sedan

91F