Register now to get rid of these ads!

Austin City Ordinance says

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evilfordcoupe™, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

"not more than one motor vehicle for each licensed driver residing on the premises may be stored on the premises"

However, the streets are public and any number of vehicles may park legally its says.(Taken from the Austin American Statesman Newspaper today.

I would assume it has to have current registration and inspection.

Im curious as to what the other cities have in code??

-Jason

2. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

3. extremist

extremist

Jason, I think that's for cars parking on the street only.

4. beyondhelp

beyondhelp

I know around here it is perfectly acceptable to leave a mound of trash out in front of any vacant / foreclosed house for months but don't dare leave an unregistered car with a leaky tire covered up in the side yard. (#$%^& I even pay to have the lawn mowed so I know it doesn't look like shit) /slightly bitter

5. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

GOOD, Then bring that shit box coupe down to my house 'cause ark city doesn't have anything like that. I promise Not to work on it, drive it !

6. john56h

john56h

State of New York "property maintenance code" states:

"Two or more unregistered or inoperable vehicles are not permitted to be stored on the premises, unless within an acceptable enclosure".

That means that the State lets you get away with ONE without being in violation of their property maintenance laws....but many (most) local municipal or city governments have local codes that do not allow ANY unregistered or inoperable vehicles to be stored outdoors.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Austin sounds like a nice friendly place to live. not.

I guess I'm stuck in the rural living mode for the rest of my life.

8. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

It isn't what city laws say so much as how they're inforced. Most edict NO in-op unlicensed cars in plain view in city ordances. But if the neighbors don't complain and you don't have 10 or more.....

Jan

9. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Maybe if your neighbors saw some attempt to actually get one of them running and driving, they wouldn't call the cops. Most cities have some sort of code against 4 wheeled yard art.:)

I've had 5 cars/ trucks over here for a while now with no issues. About to be 6, before long. But they all run, and they are driven.:)

10. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Quick search of Sierra Vista City code:
    § 92.02 STORAGE DECLARED NUISANCE.

To store or to permit the storage of any junked motor vehicle on any private property within the city in violation of this chapter is hereby declared dangerous to the public safety and a public nuisance. It is further declared that such storage interferes with the enjoyment of property; reduces the value of private property; invites plundering; creates fire hazards; extends and aggravates urban blight and deterioration; represents a hazard to the health and safety of minors; attracts rodents and insects; and poses a serious danger to the public health, safety, comfort, convenience, welfare, and happiness

Sierra_Vista_Code_link

Like I said, most cities will have ordinances against vehicles that neighbors consider a nuicance. If they don't run, or if you don't drive them, you leave yourself open to their interpretation.

Austin, Texas U.S.A. is the best place in the world to live, in my expert opinion.:) But all cities will have rules.

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Another reason to NOT live in city limits..............

12. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Not being able to have your vehicles running, or not being able to get along with neighbors?

13. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Just realized that I didn't put smiley faces on my reply to Jason. He's a buddy of mine, and I was just messing with him. He's not, that I know of, having car or neighbor issues. Just reporting from the newspaper.

14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

In South Plainfield, NJ where I live, the police are real hardcore about this stuff. Town ordinance is that you cannot have an unregistered or uninspected vehicle on your property, unless it's in the garage.

2 ways I've figured around this....

1-Register the vehicle. Get insurance, and register the vehicle. Then cancel the insurance. Illegal? yes. But it doesn't matter because the car doesn't run/isn't road worthy anyway. Since the vehicles we're talking about are classics, and can be registered as classics, they fall outside of the requirement for inspection. Therefore the vehicle is legally registered, and inspection is non-applicable. You can park a rusted to death 40 ford in your driveway, and as long as the tag is valid, there's nothing they can do.

2 - Cover the vehicle completely with a tarp. Yes, this is haggard, and a huge blue tarp will likely draw more attention to the inoperable car. However, if the car is covered, the police can't prove that it's not registered or inspected. They can't just walk onto your property and start snooping around, so if they can't see that it's an inoperable car from the street or from a public location, they can't do anything.

15. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Just before I left Michigan, they were tryign to pass a similar law- Somethign to the effect you couldnt store any "Junk" cars anywhere on the property. The way it was written, if it was in your garage and you opened the door and someone saw it, they could complain and take you to court to get rid of it- then you had to pay their legal costs. It was shot down.

Down here in SC I think I am safe for a while- If they made everyone get rid of their junk cars the homeless rate would go up.

16. I met a guy here in OKC who lives on an acreage and had someone complain. He poured a pad next to his storage building, set up a couple of '30s era gas pumps on the pad and puts his 30 something Ford pick up on jack stands next to the pumps. He then painted everything up to look like a gas station and called it yard art. It's been a couple of years and so far no problems.

17. squirrel

squirrel

The Austin code doesn't seem to discriminate between junk cars and operable cars, we have 7 cars registered and insured, garaged, and driven regularly, and only 5 drivers, so we could not live in Austin with our present situation. I know several people who live in Sierra Vista who have more cars than drivers, stored legally on their premises.

But then again I couldn't live in town here either....you just can't fit 4 acres of stuff on a city lot.

18. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Ya'll are right, Austin sux and nobody else should move here.

19. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds like a clever ploy to keep us away....well done!

Here they are trying to make it so that no one is allowed to use any water, because there is a river, and it's in danger of running dry because of all us nasty humans living here. The state legislature just passed a law giving them the right to muck about based on water use. Fun stuff.

20. Largo has two ordinances

1. Only one inoperable vehicle per household, and it can only be stored inside of a structure and not visible.

1. An inoperable vehicle is any vehicle, or portion of a vehicle, not able to drive on the highways of Florida

I probably have 2000 or so "inoperable vehicles" stored in my barn as "portions." According to the Largo City ordinances, I should be executed.

21. 8769

from kennesaw

Around here our local city has it's own task force. I think they call them code enforcement officers. The guys who do the job look like they are one step away from handing ou hugs at wallmart.

One word of advice if you decide to defend yourself in the court of your region. Don't tell the judge that by definition an in-operable vehicle is no longer a vehicle. For some reason the judge got real upset with me when i said that.

22. mustangsix

mustangsix

Orange County, FL:
    However, that doesn't take into account the HOA rules in effect which don't allow me to keep any unregistered, inop cars in sight. They have to be kept in the garage.

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Vehicles.............living outside of city limits, no matter what state you live in, does have it's advantages.....

I've seen pics.......I ain't leaving Wa......:p :D

24. Wesley

Wesley

damn I am screwed, the stuff you see outside is all cool with the city, 4 cars and as of yesterday, 4 licensed drivers. I wonder how the city feels about the 2 motorcycles and the race car in the garage? I need to do some digging through the city codes to see what I can to about the "skate park" across the street. The guy who used to live across the street from me rented his house to 3 "skater boys" and they have turned the place into a freakin skate park. At any given time there is 15 cars parked on the street to accompany the sounds of skate boards and bicycles on their 2 half pipes. I cant tell you how happy this makes me.

25. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder how all the computer yuppies with the garage full of Porsche Boxters & SUV's + Prius get away with it?

26. RF

RF

Well shit howdy--for once there's a "pro" to living in SoCal (at least the city I live in). But, even if my city did have such ordinances, I doubt they'd mess with me, 'cuz you can't see my garage or driveway from the street--even what the neighbors can see isn't much.

27. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

That's why I'm glad I don't live in that hippie-infested Liberal shit anymore. We've got over 15 cars here at the house in Lockhart and nobody cares.

But this is mostly what you see from the road...

Attached Files:

28. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Never had a problem with the city...but my stuff is not exactly visible, either.

I did almost get my ass in a sling for making "terroristic threats" to the local Natural Gas company....Hey! a guy can only go without a hot shower for so long, and they weren't getting that the previous owner was in fact, dead, and wouldn't be paying her 5.39 past due bill.
    see, if you tell someone you're gona reach through the 3 inch hole in the plexiglass and choke the shit out of them for criminal stupidity, they get thier panties all bunched up, then the cops come....but sooner than later, they turn the freakin gas on at the new casa.

29. Zumo

Zumo

Hrm. Not sure what the law is for us. I did how ever move mine from the end of my driveway into the garage.

30. Depends on where you live. Every time a neighbor whines about one I have, I just put plates on it and park it where they can look at it every day.

Do they define "acceptable enclosure" ?

I thought about buying a lot that the town it's in has classified as a "junkyard" but you look at their color coded zone map and it's residential.. I think it's no good because it's not in use as a junkyard anymore.

Any time you are in a zoning dispute, look up and read the codes yourself and try to figure out what's up to a judge or zoning officer's opinion versus what's crystal clear. I had one tell me that commercial vehicles weren't allowed to be parked in residential neighborhoods, when the code says 'commercial vehicles over 7500 lbs' ... the problem with most zoning codes is so much of them is up to someone's judgement that an official with a bug up his butt could legally harass you until you move away. Or try and get elected as a town judge.