Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many of you weld with your eyes closed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Dirk35

Dirk35

Exactly! My vision went from almost 20/20 (no BS perfect when I went into the Army) to needing glasses for far sightedness and having trouble reading street signs at night thanks to my stupidity. My eyes felt like sandpaper for a week. Im like 22/65 or somethign like that, not bad, but I can tell the difference.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's a tip should you get a minor eye burn and feel the need for some eye drops. read the label before dropping in your eyes.

had something in my eye once and put EARDROPS in my eye. this is stuff that melts earwax. burned like a fucker.

3. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

I'm so conditioned I can't watch tv commercials for welding school without turning my head away, no way I'm welding with out a hood.

4. Not to promote Jesse ,but a couple of years ago he was given an award,from a national welding institute for his welding.He also always promoted eye safety on his show,not like the "other"shows.:rolleyes:

5. I have enough trouble welding with my eyes open. How the hell can you do a decent job with them closed?

6. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Spend a couple days with your eyeballs burned then remember that when you weld again. WEAR A HOOD!

7. budd

budd

ok so i worked in a place where the enginer used to tack gas stove parts togather in the R&D dept. i know i tried to show him how to flip his shied down 10 times but he never got it, so he would shut his eyes and pull the triger, maybe i didnt use enough big words so he didnt understand me?

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Ill do 2 or 3 tacks to get a piece in place, but after that its helmet.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Stupidest thing I have ever heard.

10. When I had a factory, building sign trailers, if I caught someone welding without a helmet, he was gone because he wasn't a welder.
    Guess who he would sue if he destroyed his eyes?

11. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Nope, if I don't have time to put the helmet on, then I don't have time to weld. Not only that, I bought the best helmet I could afford too.

12. tdoty

tdoty

Same here. I don't even do tacks without eye protection, though I will admit to a set of torch goggles with a #8 lense. Yep, I use good goggles with the torch, had to break down and buy a decent set, cuz I couldn't see out of the cheap ones. Shade 5 is shade 5, right? Guess not.

Now THAT is funny!

Tim D.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can buy new eyeballs?

There's only a couple of things I do with my eyes closed, and welding isn't one of them. I use an auto-darkening helmet, and use the blink-when-striking method as well.

14. I have a HF auto dark helmet but I can hardly see out of it. So I am going to get a new lense for my old flip down one and wonder what # lense are you guys using. ​

15. tommy500

tommy500
    from Flint, MI

"Vision is highly over-rated"

16. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I will tack on occasion without a helmet- but these are little, tiny tack weld, simply enough to hold something together precisely long enough to allow for a "serious" weld. so small that typically, they are completely enveloped by the actual weld.

My "big" Snap-On machine has something pretty cool...it has a spot function, and the gas shield slides down the nozzle on the torch so you can cover the weld completely. I don't know what the heck it would be really good for, but I played with it, and it works! you never even see a little light! just push the torch against the metal, pull the trigger down and hold it, and zaaap. it resets every time you pull the trigger, and continues to purge with the trigger down! Neat....but again, I don't know what the hell you would use it for.

17. Old Bowtie

Old Bowtie
    from South,TX

Tacking is one thing with out looking at the arch behind the nozzle. But I always use my hood to weld. And the main reason for that is to see my creations. Like my family and my projects.

18. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I have done some tacks without using the helmit, I cover the weld area with my gloved hand. If you can't manage a tack without looking you need to practice more. Sound and feel. I used to work in factory maintenance, sometimes you simply could not get into a position to see the weld area and had to weld by feeling the rod move across the metal and feel the break/crack. Sometimes not pretty, but many are still holding 20 years later, so they must have been OK.

I go through one autodarkening helmit every two years or so! Being clumsy doesn't help, but I think the autodark gets slower as the helmit ages, and these are not the HF junk. Also clean the lenses almost every day, can't stand not being able to see the weld area. I often have a light with me if I'm welding in a dark area. When I can see the weld area, I want to see it. Gene

19. gearjam1

gearjam1

-Best damn Christmas present I ever got, was the auto-darkening helmet from my wife...

20. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I not only wear a helmet but add long sleeves and a shirt buttoned up. I have been burned on the neck, arms ( even thru the button area on a long sleeve shirt) ankles etc. Allways protect yourself.

21. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Not Assguy...his eyes are wide open!!

(you're welcome Dave..haha)

Attached Files:

22. glassguy

glassguy

what? whos there? hello . anybody i can still hear u guys ....

23. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

mmfb,dwpifgkkfknel.I guess I can't type with my eyes closed either

24. Doc22

Doc22

LOL! Shit! You beat me to it! I think I should try it so I can't see the mess I'm makin'.

But really, I never weld w/o a hood. My welds are bad enough with my eyes workin'. I can't imagine burning my eye's outta my skull too.

25. cleverlever

cleverlever

26. Don't want to OT or hijack the thread, but do you guys take your dogs out of the shop before you weld?

27. budd

budd

my dog would leave the shop when i started welding, after awhile he wouldnt come in the shop, kids are not so smart when there little, my dad used to take me with him to get welding done on his logging truck when i was as young as 4, he would always tell me not to look at the light/arc or i would pee in bed that nite.

28. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

29. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Why would I want to take my dog out of the shop when I'm welding?

She loves to watch the sparks and chase the little bb's around the floor. Some times she even catches them in the air! haha

30. If i'm alone, and I need all my (gauntlet gloved) hands on what I need to tack, I'll get the gun near it, turn my head and hit if for a half second, but that is about it. I have a pretty comfortable helmet and most of the time when I flip up the helmet, I forget it's on, so it stays on my head anyway.

I've also got my non-car guy buddy and his kid trained to listen for me to yell "WELDING" when I'm about to drop the helmet and pull the trigger, They yell back "OK" when they have their heads away from looking back at me and I go.