Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Desoto - rusted out floors - help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary N, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to lift a braced body off the frame since the floors in my "new" De Soto are so rusted out. Seems to me that would be a bad idea. Any advice on creating a new floor (short of finding a perfect, cheap parts car), and most likely toe boards would be helpful. Looks like the tunnel is about the only thing that may be saved. Also could use some advice on tools that may be needed like bead rollers, etc. This will be a new experience for me. So, thanks for any help.

2. the other me

the other me

wow man, ya got a huge load comin yer way. The best way would be tryin to lokate some new/replacement panels if theyr vailable. If nuttin is vailable, do ya want em to be shaped like orig or can ya live with flatter ones? The flatter ya kin get away wif makin em da ez'r it'l be ta make em. Bead roller is a good tool...box/pan breaks kin be handy as well. Duya have a welder? mig or tig would be nice...1/16" or 1/8" X 4" cuttoff wheel fer yer air or elektric grinder is also very handy fer cuttin panels. some good clamps and don't fergit yer safety glasses!!! I'm shure thers udder tools yule need, others may chime in and let ya know of more. Keep a few coldones on hand...ya just mite kneed'em when ure day is done!! CHEERS and good luck.

3. tinmann

tinmann

Do it yourself..... but start by making sure the door hinges are not sloppy, then make the doors fit the body. Now you can start on the floor..... one section at a time. And yes you'll need a sheet metal brake, bead roller, and a Mig. Have fun.

4. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

If these don't they fit as is they could be modified. but they are pricey

http://www.plymouthdoctor.com/images/automobile/46p15.pdf

I'm assuming that the desoto's floor is like my 47 dodge which means it is dead flat. should be easy to fab new floors or use a bitchin products universal floor.

http://www.bitchinproductsinc.com/

I would personally fix the floors with car on the frame since it is so flat and relies on the floors braces and the frame for all of its strength. that way you can keep doors and body mounts in check. If you floor is shot you rockers are probably rough too. good news there is the rockers are nothing but flat metal with a few 90 degree bends easily made in a cheap brake.

Pics would a bit also.

Good luck and please keep it mopar :)

5. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

what dvancek sez. when you pull that body - you'll lose all of your fits...Even with a fully braced body, stuff doesn't line up right when you drop it back on.

6. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

Desoto...a very wise purchase. :D

7. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

Thanks for the details. I took some pics to upload, but I guess I'm past the size limit. I'll have to figure that one out. I power washout out the loose stuff. I figures after 60 years a little more water is going to hurt anything. There isn't much floor there. But it's almost flat. One of the door hinge pins is gone. Looks like is just rusted out. so, the passenger door is hanging.That's a new one for me. I thought those pins were big. The trunk is shot too. This looks like a big project!