Register now to get rid of these ads!

i need a history lesson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustom_kreep, Jun 12, 2007.

1. kustom_kreep

kustom_kreep

hey thanks in advanse i have been trying to find info on essex motor co. and i can't dig up much can you point me in the right direction. and yes i probable need spelling lessons too.
    thanks again

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

3. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

god this is going to suck... ok here goes.

Introduced in 1919, the hudson-built Essex was a sales winer in its first two years. offering a lively 4 cylinder engine and the first closed body types among popular-price mass-production cars. but when essex adopted a less reliable 6 in 1924, its image and popularity suffered accordingly. though this engine was enlarged and improved in 1930-31, essex failed to win back its early reputation for ruggedness and durability. hudson motor company might have failed with it exept for a happy accident that saved the day.
    Roy D. Chaplin, one of hudsons founders, was still active in the company during 1930-31, even though he was working for the hoover administration. when hoover was voted out of office, chaplin immediately returned to hudson and prepared to make some changes in the price-leading essex line. for 1932 he ordered the 6 enlarged from 160 to 193 cubic inches, which lifted horsepower from 58 to 70. this improved engine initially powered pacemaker and challenger models on a 113 inch wheel base(unchanged since 1930). but at midyear, chaplin dumped it into a new 106 inch wheel base series dubbed terraplane. said one memorable ad: "in the air, its aeroplaning; on the water, its hydroplaning; on the ground, hot diggety dog, thats terraplaning!"
    The essex terraplane turned hudson around in 1932-33. it was the fast(up to 80mph), economical(up to 25mpg), and cheap(as little as $425). adding to its appeal was the 1933 option of a 94 bhp 243.9cid straight 8.
    Essex terraplanes set numerous speed marks, including over 100 stock-car records. the public responded with enthusiasm so much that hudson dropped essex name after 1933 to make terraplane a marque in its own right.

page 391 of "encyclopedia of american cars".

4. funguynstc

funguynstc

i think essex last flash in the pan was building WW2 radial engines for airplanes,tanks,and landing craft

5. kustom_kreep

kustom_kreep

that was great but i would like to know more about the individual cars als likw what all was offerd in 29?
    thanks

6. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

mine doesnt list anything for 1929... i think they were more coachbuilt/individual before 1930 when it went more production?? i have no idea.

7. bztech

bztech
    from KC

Your in St. Joe... so I take it you dug up an Essex or something from one? Just curious :)

I can't provide much input but I got a guy I'll ask tommorow. I'm pretty sure Essex was just a flash in the pan or regional type car company plus all the info Draggin' listed.

8. kustom_kreep

kustom_kreep

yea i'm heading out to detroit to get a 29 essex sedan
    but one of the thing i was trying to find out is the diff in bodie styles i'm getting a for door but i like it cus the only glass on the side is in the doors no side cargo window or what ever the x-tra back side window is called. but i've seen other 29's with 4 doors and the x-tra window just kinda wondered what the diff is?

9. kustom_kreep

kustom_kreep

this is the one i'm going to go get

Attached Files:

10. Svenny

Svenny

Just FYI- This question will probably get a much better and informative answer than your first. The more specific the question, the more likely you will be to get helpful answers.

Also, you told us a little about your car, and that's good too! :)

11. InPrimer

InPrimer

take a look on www. carnut.com , index of pictures essex ,1929 .several pix. they seem to have a 4dr w/o quarter windows and some that do (same yr)

12. kustom_kreep

kustom_kreep

13. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Boss has a 1930 Essex 4 door. Only the rear doors are suicide. It does not have the rear quarter windows, which makes it look like a 2 door at first glance.

14. kustom_kreep

kustom_kreep

see all for on mine open suicide so it seems like nothing was standard from one to the other

15. kustom_kreep

kustom_kreep