Register now to get rid of these ads!

This time I scored big...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jun 17, 2007.

1. I've bought many partially finished projects in my days but sometimes my enthusiasm makes me see the project different than it really is and I spend way too much for a piece-a-shit. This time I heard about this 46 chevy pickup from a cousin of some guy I met on my route. I was collecting parts to build a year-round hotrod 4X4 pickup. It snows a bunch here and the state salts the roads...can't really drive a decent car or it gets eaten up in 5 years. I already had a 90 chevy 4X4 chassis and was looking for a fair/decent early pickup cab and front clip when I heard about this 46 already bolted to a running, driving 78 chevy 1/2 ton or blazer chassis. The guy told me on the phone he wanted $1500 for it so I had to stop by and check it out. I drove it up his gravel road and immediatelly scampered home to get some $$$....had my son deliver my ass back to his place and bought it on the spot.
    By then it was dark so I drove this unknown truck 65 miles back to my house in the dark. I was really happy to see all the lights worked, even the high-beams. I've since put about 100 more miles on it and the only major problems I can find are a need to put some corrective shims betwween the rear aprings and the axle housing to point the pinion up a little and get rid of the vibration...also, the front brakes drag. I suspect the assembler used a non'disc brake master cylinder with a 10 lb porportioning valve as opposed to the disc-brake 2 lb valve.
    I wired up the bright-light indicator and some front turn signals last night. Still need to score some small light sockets for the autometer gauges today....
    Has new aluminum radiator, windshield and back-glass, exhaust, guages, battery, belts and hoses,good, used tires, good 350/350 turbo and full-time transfer case and I can overlook the oogly fender flares on the new 'glass fenders for awhile. Yeah, he spent close to $1500 for the glass fenders alone! He also painted it a root-beer metallic brown which doesn't flip my switch much but what the hell? It has SOME paint on it...makes my wife happy.
    The guy used a 70's GM wiring harness and didn't use one single wire-tie or butt connector. He twisted wires for splices and taped them over. I've been following up with good butt connectors at every splice and ending dead-end wires by attaching them to terminal strips so I can add electrical components later.
    Oh, yeah....the seller even fabb'd up a dandy headliner from glavanized sheeting and whipped up a cool sheetmetal strereo box...brazed it to the panel above the windshield and mounted up an AM-FM cassette player...works great!
    The front-end is tight and the truck came with power steering and power brakes..all the 4 wheel drive shit works as it should too.
    I done good this time...for once.
    Check the photos of this bad-boy

Attached Files:

2. brownbagg

brownbagg
    from grand bay

you raped him

3. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

4. mortecai

mortecai

WOW GOSSON YOU GOT SCREWED HE COULDA AT LEAST WIPED THE DUST OFFA THE DASH BOARD BEFORE UNLOADING IT ON YA! Great looking ride like that I doubt you'll be runnint on the salt much tho. mrs Rock will probable not let ya.......good job my old amigo hows the coupe doin still workin on it?

5. Svenny

Svenny

Amazing, once in a lifetime deal!

Congrats!!!

6. BadLuck

BadLuck

You scored!!..That looks like a blast to drive.....

7. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Bet you can't get the smile off your face.Nice, should clear any turds encountered running thru South Omaha. I like to hear of these great scores.

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

You got that for $1500? Wow!

9. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Shit, $1500? What a freakin steal! Happy father's day to you for that one! Its an awesome looking combination of the later model chassis and the old body.

What motor and trans are in it? Any additional updating plans!

Thats a helluva deal. Good and lucky find!

10. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

nice score.
    should make a good drift buster.
    I still remember that chopped shoe box that you drug home, I still think that was the big score.

11. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

you should have taken him for dinner and some drinks before you stuck it to him like that :D

12. 70cst1

70cst1
    from Glasgow KY

was there any foreplay before the screwing took place.:D

13. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

wow....great score....

I'm usually the guy that comes right behind folks like you and get the "sorry it JUST sold"...

14. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Wow! are you sure he didn't sell you his neighbors truck while he was out of town?

Congrats on that one!

15. spudz

spudz

You did good rockys...its pretty snazzy

16. JamesG

JamesG

Sweet Donk!

Good score man.

17. wanna-b

wanna-b

Just put another layer or two of undercoat in the wheelwells and wash the snow off the body and you won't have anything to worry about come winter. Great score!

18. hatch

hatch
    from house

You couldn't talk him down????.....must be gettin old!!!! Cool score, it would be tits in michigan snowdrifts.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm thinking 16" steelies with some old time hubcaps and the tallest tire you can get. ad a coat of old truck green and I'd be in heaven. then tell everybody it's factory 4 wheel drive and they only made 300 of them for the war.

20. NoSurf

NoSurf

Nice!!!

I can hear the announcer at the county fair now..." Fuuuullll Puuuuullllll !!!!":D :D :D

21. erock805

erock805

Cant believe you didnt haggle...great deal man.

22. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Nice score, Rocky! I've got a pile of parts that used to be a '46 Chevy pickup & hopefull will again some day...could use 4x4 here too!

I'll give ya $1600 for it! ;) ;)

23. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Wow, what a deal. These are the deals we live for. You can probably drive it for years with no problem and have a blast. Good job dude, you better go buy a lottery ticket.:D

24. Nik

Nik

Please tell me you used protection before doing the guy. If he was that cheap and easy there is no telling what you caught. LOL Post some more pics of this truck!!

Nik

25. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

You should be ashamed of yourself! $1500? Jesus man....

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

My thoughts exactly....

28. Awesome score! You done good... real good.
    Bil

29. GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE! Did you say $1500.00??? The guy you scored it from must be a clown shoe wearin' retard! NICE GOIN'! -Betruger-

30. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

yup you suck! oh ya cool truck