Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to Render Hot Rods Photoshop Tutorial!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joe deertay, Jun 14, 2007.

1. joe deertay

joe deertay

Slide: You make a good point!, there are loads of keyboard shorcuts (I'm still learning which do what so thanks for the tip!) I'll be trying that later....anyone else have some good ideas? This is what it's all about..learning!! :)

Janne: Some good tutorials over there, I used to have a portfolio on that site but it was a long time ago! lol

Mcphail: I can understand what your saying, but I dont think theres anything lazy about 5-6 hours minimum on a full rendering (i've done renderings going into 20+hours for the detail!) ...dont get me wrong and if you read the whole thing through you'll notice i'm not saying it's a "better" method than say pencils and graphic markers etc. It's just another way to do it and handy if you work in an enviroment that demands quick results or multiple ideas quickly. Photoshop isnt my first choice as I love to paint...

[​IMG]

Heres a piece I've invested over 70hours in so I'm not lazy and I'm not some computer born artist who doesnt know how to crack out the brushes if the electricity fails! :D Just in case you were wondering! ;)

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments!

verde742 likes this.
  2. joe deertay

joe deertay

Found a link to a site that has PDF files for most versions of Photoshop. The files contain Keyboard Shortcut Lists that can be printined off! Very Handy, I just put one on wall next to my PC! :)

http://user.fundy.net/morris/?photoshop01.shtml

3. joe deertay

joe deertay

Been playing around with the caligraphy tips for the brush tool...if you work totally in multply mode it acts like graphic markers, gives a nice rough but slick finish to 10min sketches...

A lollipop to the first person who knows what car this is!

[​IMG]

4. vauxhall magnum?

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

I believe he owes you a lollipop...

[​IMG]

6. Moonglow

Moonglow

You've made the magical, understandable. Thank you so much!

7. joe deertay

joe deertay

Indeed I do...you know your stuff dude!! Impressed :)

8. I think there are ways to cheat whatever your tools are (tracing paper)

Making an all original piece of art digitally is tough and I'll give credit to whoever does that. Tracing a photo in illustrator or with tracing paper is weak imo.

That being said.. this is some good info, thanks for posting it

9. joe deertay

joe deertay

Agreed, the idea of tracing is for those still gaining confidence, I dont personally, i've been doing it by eye for many years! :D I would always encourage people to get good at doing it by eye in the long run but i figured this was quite a lot to take in in one chunk so thought it was a handy hint for beginners!

10. RatBone

RatBone

well, for me this is a great tool to try different ideas before spending money. I dont care how I get it if it saves me time and aggravation!

thanks again and I look forward to your other tuts

11. Janne

Janne

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

13. Janne

Janne

WOW!

I guessed you use that, I just bought mine 4 months ago from NY since it's 1200 bucks cheaper in US.

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ooops........sorry Janne.....I misunderstood....I just use the Wacom tablet.....not the Cintiq.....
    I found them a bit clunky for my liking and that was a demo in 98 or 99.
    I have grown too used to my tablet.I am sure they have come a long way since then.
    I have some pals that use them and they like them....but for me the old XD 1212 is my meat.

15. toad32

toad32

another quick tip to straighten an image.

Click on the eyedropper tool.... it will pop out and you will see the ruler tool. Click on that.

Now Use the ruler tool to measure the ground plane - left or right.

Now go to the Image / Rotate Canvas / Abritary and the degree will automatically be set and will rotate the canvas to make the ground plane straight.

Carter

16. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool instruction, thanks for sharing

17. BTTT - because of a link by Sutton in another post. This was a great ech awhile back. Some may have missed it the first time and may not see it in the new post.

18. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Good God almighty! How the heck did I miss this FANTASTIC presentation? I sure don't know, but am damn glad that hotrodyblock brought it back to the top. WOW, I am just thrilled to find something about Photoshop that makes sense to me. I love this thread, in case you couldn't tell!

Also, I get what the true artists are saying about the purity of getting brushes and paint and just going at it, practice, practice practice. But, what about us schleps that don't have the inate talent to ever get to the point that we could be called artists? I think that aids, such as Photoshop, are wonderful.

Thanks Steve, for taking this huge amount of time to teach those of us that just want to try doing some odds and ends for our own enjoyment.

19. kenmo

kenmo

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing....

20. LMAO I was just going to post on the original tech week thread that someone should post a tutorial showing how to render a hot rod.

Good info right here fellas.

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

22. verde742

verde742

"If you can't be a welder, Be a grinder"

great info, enjoyed it, but I will keep botherin' the MOOSE,

23. BigDawg

BigDawg

Scott,
    HOW TO RENDER HOT RODS PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL!!
    I've been looking for such a tutorial for years. I have a 10 year old version of Photoshop and have been struggling on whether to re-install it or just bite the bullet and purchase a current version of Photoshop. Based on your article I plan to aggressively investigate the latest version of Photoshop with Adobe to see if you tutorial still apply's to the new version of Photoshop. Thanks you for this outstanding article. www.bigpoppa54.com