Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do CAD or Solidworks Drawings????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DLipp, Jun 15, 2007.

1. DLipp

DLipp
    Member Emeritus

I can see constructing frames and suspensions in CAD or Solidworks when you are going to mass-produce the components but why on a one off car that you’re building in your garage. See I am an engineer and do have access to these programs and do use them at work but would rather build the frame by hand because I learn so much more in doing so. I am young and don't have that much experience in fabrication like some of the old people on this board. The experience I do have would be constructing a couple roll cages in jeeps, three full tube competition rock crawling chassis (worked at Twisted Customs in South Dakota, www.twistedcustoms.biz/index.php ), a hybrid Toyota Dana 60 axle and my model a frame. I know from building my model a frame I would have done things a little different but that is why you build another car right. If I would have constructed my frame on one of these programs I am not sure if would have found the little problems but may be.

So I guess I am asking what do you all think?

2. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Sounds to me like refusing to use disc brakes. If you have the technology, know how to use it, why not use it? Wish I knew how to use it!

3. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

I use Solidworks and Pro/E on a daily basis at work. I find those tools very useful for conceptual design such as general component layouts, 1:1 cutting templates for gauge panels, simple sheetmetal parts and assemblies, etc. I then take the conceptual design home and build it, accommodating all the unforeseen factors that pop up. Doing a detailed design in CAD is possible, but in my estimation the time investment is prohibitive for anything but mass production. Unless you just like to play with CAD systems for fun. I have too many other cars to build to waste time on the tube.

Are you scratch-building this frame or modifying an existing one? If scratch-building, it would be valuable to build a simple model of it and run some FEA simulations to see if you're in the ballpark with regard to stresses and deflections.

Chris

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Cause when I'm at work, screwing around, it looks like real work. Can't bring steel into the cube and cut on it, without SOMEONE noticing.

5. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

HA HA! You stole my trick!

Chris

6. When I get to the point that I'm bending and fitting tubing, each item will be done to full-scale plotted templates. That way I will know that all the chassis tubes will fit as it is designed to and that all the components (engine, tranny, rearend, suspension, seats, steering, radiator, etc.) will also fit in the constructed chassis.

Very little guesswork if any.

Attached Files:

7. bztech

bztech
    from KC

I keep telling the guy next to me we need to bring in some equipment and just do a little work on our breaks. I figured a motorcycle project would fit nicely into the empty cube next to us. LOL :D

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I've done this both ways - shotgunned it and used the computer from Autocad to ProE. The answer is simple- do what ever you want - it's your ride.
    AS far as what's better? That sorta depends - shotgunning does have it's upside - usually it's more artsy fartsy or asthetically pleasing. Cad work often gets kinda blah.

At home I have acess to both as well and I still find myself making sketches first then if the item dictates it I will go to the computer - I often document my stuff just for future reference. Recently I found myself having to remake my motor plate. Not qa problem as I had saved the "drawing".

Alot of the time "shotgunning" is just fine - sorta falls under the Monkey See Monkley Do mentality - many times it's every bit as sucessful as the "other" way - sometimes it's not. Sometimes a little planning will save you tons of grief. It's a lot easier to START OVER on paper than when cutting steel.

Now for the guys who are actually trying to sell their stuff - making a drawing or (computer model) as the case may be - is pretty much a no brainer/cheap insurance. Too much liability to not go through the proper design steps.

9. Depends on who is doing it.
    I've seen some total Crap done with a computer,and without.

10. Amen Dirty Sanches, I think you got it right. Rags

11. Darren, post pictures of that killer A!

Guys, Darren could use his engineering toys but doesn't have to....................his A sedan has style AND is well thought out.

12. Rem

Rem

All new cars are designed on computers - 'nuff said!

13. Rand Man

Rand Man

Since I've learned AutoCAD 2007 3D, I know it's the only way to go, for me.

14. As noted above, It's great for templates, figuring angles etc. I did my motor mounts, mastercylinder adaptor dash insert, etc. with it. Plotted the full size drawing, taped it to the welding table and tacked everything up right on the drawing, course you can only use it once. I emailed the dash insert toa lazer cutting shop and they cut the insert out of stainless,..turned out great. I also layed out my shop with it.

15. Vergil

Vergil

I used Solidworks to model the fuel injection housings for my flatheaed. Makes it easy to see how the components fit (as you can see in the cut away picture where the injector connector hits the fuel log).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

DLipp, I've often wondered the same, especially on days chained to a CAD station.

For stuff that I'm trying to convey to somebody else, like paying the corner machinist to make an adapter widget, CAD is the way to go. Saves money when shop rate is not trying to decipher a napkin sketch.

For anything done with my own 2 hands, crude pencil sketch to help the mind's eye, and go.....although my stuff often ends up looking like the crude sketch, but don't think the sketch is to blame!

17. Unlike RichardD, I sketch my problem spots, whether it be messing with hot rods or custom work on antique houses, invaluable. Same can be done with the right software, but I don't need it. No disrespect intended, just that a lot of stuff's been done with-out it, and will continue to be. Production is where that's at!

18. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I'm using CAD right now to design the frame for my 38.
    By using CAD I have all of the correct angles figured, All dimensions and Diagonal dimensions available. Saves a lot of time and money on a build.
    By the way I'm Old school ( 58 years old ) and build traditional made furniture for a living and the CAD is the most important tool in my Traditional wood shop.

Jim H
    NORSEWOODS woodworking