Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 in a '56 Customline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Dude, Jun 8, 2007.

1. The Dude

The Dude

Has anybody done this swap? Ford-y-block.com sells an adapter but obviously there will be more to it (modify mounts, crossmemeber, driveshaft, etc.). The original tranny is givnig it up slowly and I would like to put something more modern in it (there is also the C4 option but the adapter cost a lot more and I am assuming just as many modifications will be needed to make it work and manuals are more fun anyway). In short what all problems did you run into getting it in there? Is it a better choice to go with the T5 over the C4 in the first place?

Thanks in advance,

The Dude

2. tjm73

tjm73

Which engine?

3. The Dude

The Dude

My bad, 272 y-block

4. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

As far as I can remember the mounts don't need to be modified to put a C-4 in. my 56 parts car has a C-4 sitting on the stock mount. Another option is an early 60's Cruise-O-Matic. It uses all three gears, just like a C-4, and is a little more period, and no adapter required. What every you find your probably gonna need to have it rebuilt anyway right. All you really need is a tranny cooler, or radiator with the tranny cooler, as the ford-o-matics were air cooled. My buddy just did this with his 56' and it was a cinch. I'm personally not a big fan of the C-4 or any auto for that matter , thats why I'm doing a 302/T-5 swap in my 55.

Also, to do the Manual trans, you will need to find a 55-56 pedal setup if you have an auto in it now(no easy task as I have found). Also not cheap. I just got mine on ebay last week. That was definatly the desiding factor for me.

Drew

5. The Dude

The Dude

"As far as I can remember the mounts don't need to be modified to put a C-4 in. my 56 parts car has a C-4 sitting on the stock mount. Another option is an early 60's Cruise-O-Matic. It uses all three gears, just like a C-4, and is a little more period, and no adapter required. What every you find your probably gonna need to have it rebuilt anyway right. All you really need is a tranny cooler, or radiator with the tranny cooler, as the ford-o-matics were air cooled. My buddy just did this with his 56' and it was a cinch. I'm personally not a big fan of the C-4 or any auto for that matter , thats why I'm doing a 302/T-5 swap in my 55.

Also, to do the Manual trans, you will need to find a 55-56 pedal setup if you have an auto in it now(no easy task as I have found). Also not cheap. I just got mine on ebay last week. That was definatly the desiding factor for me.

Drew"

If I go manual I figured I would just fab up a clutch pedal instead of trying to find a factory pedal setup (the car is an auto).

I am also cosidering just doing a 302 swap and just get it all over with but I like the y block and would kinda like to keep it.

the dude

6. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Man, I'm sure it's very possible to do this, but what a nightmare, and I would have some serious doubts of it looking clean and original unless you have an original there to copy. I mean you have a y-block with a T-5 incogneto then some hokey looking clutch setup:confused:.

Personally I love the y-block, got one in my 56 pickup and plan too keep it there, but as far as power, drivablility and parts, not the best choice. I'll be runnning a 5.0 small block, dressed up with all the stuff off a early 60's 260/289 i.e; timing cover, alternator, valve covers, exhaust manifolds etc...
    traditional looks and good drivability and reliability. This is my new daily, and I'm a mechanic so the last thing I want to do is work on my everyday car all the time. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on the build.

Drew

7. Ole don

Ole don

The problem with any of the above mentioned automatics is they still are not overdrives. The T5 is a great way to go, I have one behind a flathead, and a T3550 behind a Y block, both are way cool and fun to drive. For a 272, if you are not drag racing, I would recommend an S10 T 5 from a V6, or a Mustang box with an S10 tail housing and shifter.

8. The Dude

The Dude

Not so worried about making it look original but it wouldn't be to hard to put something together that at least looked good and like it belonged (the throttle on the car is already a floor mount aftermarket pedal with cable action instead the old pushtrod setup anyway). The car, while it will not be my daily, is just intended to be inexpensive, fun, make loud noises, scare old ladies, and since I am purposely leaving it a little rough around the edges I am not being to much of a stickler for details and am trying to work with what I can make or get for really cheap (hopefully in a year or two I will get the time and money to do something really primo).

I figured a World Class would not be neccessary given the relatively low output of the y block. Why an S10 T5 or at least S10 tail housing (other than being pretty plentiful) are they shorter (would like for the shifter to clear the bench seat so I can keep it)?