Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody have any infor on "How to rebuild a Chevy trans"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garagedoreen, May 25, 2007.

1. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

I want to go through my Chevy 700R4 trans. Anybody have any link or info on how to do it. Maybe a step by step web page or something? I went to the book store and looked for a Chevy tranny rebuilding, but didnt find one.

Thanks

2. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

go to a local tranmission supply shop, and ask to buy a builders book for that trans there about 20 dollars. in my opion there the way to go

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Go to transmissioncenter.net ,they have more goods for 700R4's than anyone and you can get complete rebuild DVDs from them as well as other trannys.:cool:

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Search "ATSG" or "automatic transmission service group". Best manuals I've seen. $20 with all the updates and performance mods you can imagine.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

While you're in there, upgrade to a 13 vane pump - if appropriate- and you can also get stronger sun gear shells, etc.... to fix common fail points. Make sure your trans is post 1987 (two valve bodies), or don't even bother.

6. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

I did exactly the same thing - having no transmission experience before, I bought the ATSG book, and the video and book from Technical Videos. With those three things, I was able to do a complete rebuild on my 700R4.

I upgraded the Sun Shell, used a new Corvette servo, added a TransGo shift kit and a few other small things, and it works great.

I had to rent two specialized tools...the plastic sleeve to size the seals and the fancy spring compressor...DON"T try to do the rebuild without them.

Other than that, it's just standard hand tools, a place to work, and patience.

Oh, and some attention to detail certainly helps. There is a LOT of little fiddly bits that you have to keep track of.

Overall, I really enjoyed this project...:D

7. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

That seems fishy...looks like someone rented the video, ripped it, and is trying to re-sell it as a download.

If so, that's illegal. I think it didn't cost much more than that to rent the video in the first place.

And I put our spare TV and a VCR out in the shed to watch the video while I did my rebuild. I put the remote inside a plastic bag...and I hit rewind several hundred times.