Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 deuce, 3 heights, Fenton SBC intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36tbird, May 21, 2007.

1. 36tbird

36tbird

I just bought a really neat 3X2 Fenton intake for my '40 Ford rebuild that will include a 283 done up nostalgic. This thing caught my eye on the 'bay because it isn't an Offy or Edelbrock and it takes 94's or 97's not Rochesters. Anyway, I am curious about some of its details. The carbs' mounting planes are elevated front to rear. What is the theory on this sort of multi-height carb design? I am also trying to get an idea on the age of this manifold. How long did Fenton stay in business making intakes? The fact that this one mounts the Strombergs leads me to think it was for some of the early SBC into old Ford swaps where you do not have to modify the firewall accelerator arm from the passenger's side to the other.

Now, looking at an 8ba 2x2 Edmunds intake I have, it also has the front to back carb mounting bases elevation increase. Was there a relationship between Edmunds and Fenton? I read Albert Drake's article on Edmunds in the latest GG Gazette and that got me thinking about the history of these old manifolds.

So, what's the history? Thanks in advance.

2. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

Fenton bought a lot of the left over edmunds stuff and resold them under their name, and different elevated bases is common on boat manifolds because of how they were tilted

3. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

4. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Don't worry about it..Will work fine..
    Duane..

5. banjorear

banjorear

GG Gazette

What publication is this? I'd like to read that article about Edmunds.

6. George

George

"Goodguys" monthly publication for members.

7. banjorear

banjorear

8. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

theory was that each carb had a "clean" flow of air, undisturbed by the one in front of it...

9. 36tbird

36tbird

Thanks everyone for the responses. The boat and clean air theories make a lot of sense.

10. Offy

Offy

The engine mounts at an downward angle to the rear in most frames to decrease drive line angle. The intake has the carburator pedestals at increasing heights, front to rear to compensate.

11. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

The mounting flange for my Rochesters on my Offy intake are stepped with the back being taller than the front. I think this is only because when installed on the engine with the engine tilted back slightly as they usually are the intake flanges are level.

12. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I found this pic that shows the different heights on mine. I think this is pretty common.

Attached Files:

13. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Yeah, what he said! :D When setting up your engine mounts, it is very important for the carb pedestal(s) to be level so the gas in the carb bowls are even. If your carbs are on a downward slope towards the front cuz the engine was mounted level, shim the engine up on the mounts and better throttle response will be your reward... in theory.

14. long island vic

long island vic

Wow 3 Intakes Bought This Weekend,,,,you Me And Clark..lets Start A Fenton Club!!!!!!!!!!!!!if It Was A Marine It Would Be On A Big Angle Like 30 Degrees

15. 36tbird

36tbird

Well, all of the good answers and inputs helped me to think about some things. My tilt isn't 30 degrees, looks more like 15. That helped me think about how in the old Fords, the engine is usually tilted up in those ol' timey swaps using the stock trans and aluminum ring adapter even if the front end got the max dropped axle of the day. So, how old is this thing? When did Fenton quit making manifolds? I think the only reason for someone to make a SBC 3 deuce intake using strombergs would be for old Ford throttle linkage. From that line of rationale, I cannot see this thing being newer than '59.:)