Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust under rear window trim... Help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toystoretom, May 20, 2007.

1. Toystoretom

Toystoretom

I have a 66 Caddy that is starting to show some rust at the bottom of the rear window under the trim. I have removed the stainless trim with no major disasters and now I have just rear window glass, the little pegs that hold the clips that retain the trim and of course the rust. It is surface rust and hasn't rusted through, but it has bubbled up the paint and could get worse real fast if I just ignore it.

I have some questions you might be able to help me with:

1. Can you still get those little clips that retain the trim somewhere? About 4 of them along the bottom have rusted and probably should be replaced.

2. What is the best way to get rid of the rust? I have a hand held sand blaster. It doesn't look like the rust has gone up under the glass and I just as soon not remove the glass if I don't have to. Wire wheel? Some sort of chemical??

3. Once I get the rust cleaned out what should I treat the area with to try and keep it from coming back? POR 15 or something similar?

4. I do believe that this car is a white lacquer of some sort. If I use an enamel on it, it just ends up cracking. I would like to just touch up the area around the window and not strip and repaint the whole car. Can you get paint that will work with what's on there? It is original factory paint from 1966, its in good shape and the car has never been repainted.

Thanks in advance for any help guys...

Tomo

2. squirrel

squirrel

1. junkyard

2. take the glass out.

3. take it down to metal and do the normal steps necessary when putting on new paint.

3. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

those little clips are easy to find.
    p.m. me and I will give you my address, so you can send me one, then I will send you a set. all for the cost of shipping.

aside from that, strip it to bright silver metal, and repaint. I have had alot of success using Eastwood rust encapsulator as a primer there, but I don't expect ANY chemical to magically turn rust into anything other than rust.
    so yeah. bright silver metal, and cut out any remaining stuff and patch with new. it's cancer for metal...if you don't get it all the first time, it comes back with a vengance.

4. Toystoretom

Toystoretom

Thanks guys.

I can get it down to bare metal and get it primer on it. I guess my big question is what kind of paint do I have?

I'm a pretty good mechanic but not much of a paint and body guy..:D

5. asher

asher

I would use Zero Rust.

6. RodLand

RodLand

7. other than cutting it out and fixing it the right way brush on some zero rust on both sides. :D