Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who's going racing with us this weekend? May 12 at Little River in Temple, Tx.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzzard, May 7, 2007.

1. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I think I will make it in my old blue car ? wanted to tweek on the motor before this meet, but wound up working on the transmision, any flathead`s gonna show up ? I don`t have any more room for the flathead eliminator trophy`s ! hahaha scot is out, gram needs a driver, come on bring out the flatheads! is steve bringing the waco car ? buzzard we need to put a flathead in your car !

2. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Is that the little white Nova that runs around the Eastside? If so, it ain't no sleeper. Everybody knows that that car is fast.

Edit: And no, Bevin shouldn't go on the track.

3. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

We'll see, nothing is set in stone. I just don't no if I'm going to bring it to the track after I have a faster car on the road. We'll see.

4. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

It'll go down the track eventually, but I need to iron out brake issues, and buy that heavy duty carrier bearing first-maybe Day of the Drags?

5. rixrex

rixrex

Sally and I will take the 53 Studebaker and be spectators..until I swap the Stude slushbox trans it is a joke on the take-off..my 55 Chevy, Purple Haze, is a few thousand away from the track, fire system,gauges, 5-point harness, sturdy steering column, a bunch of little stuff to finish..when I fire it, you will hear it...

6. Wesley

Wesley

I am getting close to finished. I got the paint work done on the cage today. All that is left to do is change the valve cover gaskets, buy fuel and load it up. Time to make smoke and noise.

All that aerodynamic stuff is good for press and all, but the truth is that if you make enough horsepower you can get a bathtub to go down through there....... Joe Amato circa 1986

7. swimeasy

swimeasy

Well, if it is not raining I'll be there to encourage everybody!!

8. CptKaos

CptKaos

Got the slicks mounted today, only 2 more days :)

Larry

9. Wesley

Wesley

The weather looks good for Saturday.

10. 54BOMB

54BOMB

hopefully it will be just like today, it looks great outside right now

11. FOURLUG

FOURLUG

Good turnout. Good supply of old cars this time, better than in the past. Anyone get any photos? I left my camera at home.

12. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I wish I'd run Snow Blind earlier- best time was 16.66 out of 2 runs! I bet with a little tweaking I could get a low 16/ high 15. Day of the Drags is going to rock!:D
    I'd like to see pics, too.

13. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

HaHa, surprised I guessed so close with 16.5. You need to talk to Scott about one of those Nova's. They'd make a good, reasonably cheap, reasonably fun car for the track.

I had a first 80% run of 12.93 @ 104. Left hard with a 1.90 60ft time. Short shifted and shifted into 4th at the end. Probably would have beat my best of 12.85 if I had run it all the way out in 3rd. But I always like to ease into it. I still get nervous the day of, until after the first pass.

The second pass was kinda weird. The guy next to me pre-staged, and so did I. Then I saw his stage light go on, so I staged and revved up to launch rpm. Next thing I know, one of the track guys is telling me to wait. The other guy pulled all the way through the stage light. So they back him up to stage. I'm expecting them to back him all of the way back and have him pull forward. Seems dangerous to have him just back into the light and go. He already screwed up, so he's likely a little frazzled. Suppose he never pulls it out of reverse? So anyhow, I'm waiting for him to re-stage and the lights start dropping. So I bogged off the line, still hit a 2.00 60 ft. and a 13.06. My second best 60 ft. after not even being ready.

So now I'm stoked. The new QA1 adjustable shocks that went on the night before at 11 have made a huge difference. The car is hooking up really well and launching super straight.

3rd run, you guessed it. Stage, rev, launch, brake and axle. Hooked up too good and found the weak link. So I'll be asking about 8" axles here pretty soon.

Served me right. I was commenting like 30 mins. earlier to one of the Thunderbolts about how I've broken rear suspension parts several times and never had a problem with the 8". Jinx!!!

14. Wesley

Wesley

The weather was great as was the turnout of people. Now on the the racing conditions lol. With a density altitude of 3300 ft, temps hovering around 90F, relative humidity of 60%, and a track surface that was less than ideal ETs werent what I was hoping for. I figured that my car would run 5.90 in the 1/8th but all I could muster was a 6.02 @ 111mph which was not bad considering the conditions. On my first run I ran a 6.24 @ 111mph and had visions of running it out to the 1/4 but I chickened out and got on the brakes and went 10.14 @ 104mph. There was a guy there in a 60s Camaro that was running 9.60s @ 140mph, that must have bigger brakes or bigger cohones or both than I do. All in all I had a blast and cant wait for the Day of the Drags. Luckily I didnt break anything (sorry Buzzard) I got home in time to see my son off to his prom. For those of you that didnt make it put it on your calendar for next year.

15. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

No worries. I've been beating on those stock axles for years. I'll upgrade, start beating on it again, and find the next weakest link. I'm just happy it was hooking better than before, even when the track was so slick.

16. 30roadster

30roadster

For those of us who had to dig in our mother-inlaws garden......
    and pamper our spouses and mother inlaws for mother's day.........
    how about helping a fella out and posting a picture or two to make up for that "I've just been emasculated" feeling. :D - Kyle

17. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I was wondering when you guys were going to start posting about the days events...I bailed. Bad week of work and lack of sleep so I took the day off and slept and built a bike instead...Next time...

18. Wesley

Wesley

My wife was going to take some pictures but the battery in the camera died (again). I saw a few people pointing cameras, somebody must have something to post. LOL

19. Wesley

Wesley

Damn Brian, you are way to you to be using a lack of sleep as a reason to puss out. LOL. I didnt succumb to the sleep deprivation until Saturday night. I was just going to take a nap around 8pm and didnt wake up until 9am Sunday. I didnt sleep that much the whole week before, I must have been tired.

20. Wesley

Wesley

oops, that second you should be young

21. CptKaos

CptKaos

Had a great time at the races till the left slick decided to hop off the rim, but even that worked out as I met a guy who sold me a couple of slots for $40. Best run was an 11.68, not too bad for a lil ole truck :)

Larry
    [​IMG]

22. 30roadster

30roadster

what does the "lil ol' truck" have in it? :)

23. CptKaos

CptKaos

just a "lil ol' 496" :)

Larry

24. 30roadster

30roadster

:eek: hehe - I figured it was something like that.... Wish I could have seen you run...see you in October.