Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Project -'48 DeSoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary N, May 8, 2007.

1. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

OK, guys and girls. I just bought this beast. I have been having a love affair with '48 De Soto's for sometime. Finally found one that I could afford. So, what am I to do now? I have a lot of ideas, like everyone of course, but though it looks solid, the floor boards are gone and god knows what else. I need some advice like WHERE THE HELL DO I BEGIN?

My shop is fairly well equipped and I have a lift. Been buying a bunch of old iron lately so it will be getting a bit crowded, but anyway....

How should I approach the project? Should I leave it all intact and work on the floor first, or should I just brace up the body, pull it off the frame and head down to the local blaster?

Really, I'm hoping to profit by some of your mistakes, especially since this will be my first "build" so to speak.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Gary

Attached Files:

2. 41 C28

41 C28

Congrats, I 'm doing a 48 Dodge Club Coupe. Just got the motor in today (318 with a 904 trans). There is a lot of knowledge here. Using Cavalier R&P steering.

Attached Files:

3. jpmopar

jpmopar
    from Virginia

Are you keeping the original engine, tranny, and suspension or are you going to update to more modern stuff? Usually it's best to make 'em run, stop, and steer before you make 'em pretty....

jp

4. Gary N

Gary N
    from Maryland

My first choice would be an old HEMI with a pushbutton torque flight. I think that would give it some cool. But then Hemi's are getting expensive. I sure don't want a SBC since I'm getting tired of those. I do have an LS6 from a Vette sitting around but I got enough grief just by bringing that one up.

The car runs now, but, I don't think I want to deal with the engine and trans. I would like a more modern running gear.

I was looking at a '48 Dodge like yours but the price was too high for the condition. Love that one too!

I really want to chop this one!

5. supertruck

supertruck

nice car. Have a 46 that looks in the same shape. on the list of to get to's I would brace the body and go to the blaster. At least then you know what you have left.
    [​IMG]

6. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

Just be ready to open your wallet. Wait till you get a price to chome the grill.
    I purchased my deSoto off ebay in the condition you see. I was thinking about getting the grill chromed until I found out the cost, $3,000.

Attached Files:

7. George

George

A rear sump 318/904 drops in well, (if it is the same as a Dodge) the drivers side exhaust manifold fit great in the original front end of my 47 Dodge. My 48 Plym has a Cutlass subframe & my 331 fits in it quite nicely! There are disc brake conversions & shock relocation kits. Ply-Do or Mr. Street Rod. Tex Smith's Mopar hot rod book covers several items.