Register now to get rid of these ads!

To shave or not mild custom question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Suede57, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Suede57

Suede57

Spent a while looking around the 57 today, prior to taking her down for the dreaded inspection.A friend has offered to shave the hood whilst we tackle welding up all the trim and badge holes, not sure myself need a second opinion

Attached Files:

2. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

why not mold the bucket part and leave the "spike" sticking out chrome...i built a model like this...sorry i donlt have a better picture...just an idea
    good luck with your decision

Attached Files:

3. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

by the way, that model is chopped a little bit and the flames are actually silver flames over black..then the metallic blue over all of it

4. Suede57

Suede57

Thats another idea, i like it cool model too

5. I have seen the holes where the hood rockets go used as air scoops, pretty trick. Just another idea [​IMG]
    Greg

6. Suede57

Suede57

yeah i saw that done in an old sixties magazine sounds kinda cool

7. We used to loose the sights and put lights in the holes in the hood. But I like 'em with just the bottom part of the chrome molded in also.
    Guess its all just personal preferance

8. DrJ

DrJ

I'm not a restorer by any means. but I don't like tossing money out the window either.
    Every little thing you change on a '57 Chevy 2 door sedan, hardtop, Nomad or convertible, (four doors are the parts and "play" cars) is gong to cost you THOUSANDS of dollars when you go to sell it. It's probably the most sought after American car there is, in original condition!
    Just remember that, unless you actually know you are going to keep it forever, and your heirs are already well off.
    So if you want to just unbolt the gun sights go ahead, just keep them in the glove box so you can put them back on when you find that '32 Victoria you really wanted in the first place!

9. Four doors aren't exactly worth a lot of money as far as I'm concerned, unless they are the postless sport coupes [​IMG]. I do have to agree as far as the convertibles and sport coupes are concerned, especially if they had the 2-four barrels or fuelly motors. On the other hand, many nomads are modified and still bring good money. Convertibles almost always bring a lot nomatter what the modifications are, as long as they are well done and tasteful there will always be a buyer out there. My 2c
    Greg

10. Suede57

Suede57

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not a restorer by any means. but I don't like tossing money out the window either.
    Every little thing you change on a '57 Chevy 2 door sedan, hardtop, Nomad or convertible, four doors are the parts and "play" cars) is gong to cost you THOUSANDS of dollars when you go to sell it. It's probably the most sought after American car there is, in original condition!
    Just remember that, unless you actually know you are going to keep it forever, and your heirs are already well off.
    So if you want to just unbolt the gun sights go ahead, just keep them in the glove box so you can put them back on when you find that '32 Victoria you really wanted in the first place!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I must admit i had some doubts along those lines when the point was raised. Perhaps a more reversable idea would be in order, or buy another hood [​IMG]

11. Ever see Alice Coopers '57?
    He has Machine gun barrels where the sights used to be.
    Well.....it's different.

12. Anderson

Anderson

Here's what my dad did. And if you don't care about loosing value, go for it. My dad didn't hold back cutting anything up on his '57, he's had it for 20+ years and it's not going anywhere.

Attached Files:

13. Suede57

Suede57

Love it, very cool

14. Have a good look at the 57's on Friday at Wheels day....there's sure to be a few there! Will give you an idea or 2 I am sure.

Dave

<font color="red">NOT</font> going to Wheels Day...as its 6000 miles from here!

15. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

You're right, of course, about the value, but this is a hood. Just get an extra hood if you want to be able to put it back. I like that orange one that was in the magazines a few years ago, was it Total Performance that built it?

16. Tony

Tony

There's some nice ideas shown here.
    All i did to my '57 now is the typical nose job..no crest and V.
    I found another hood though, and used 3", 90 degree, mandrel bent exhaust pipe to fill the rockets off.
    I made a cardboard template, then laid it out on the pipe to make my cut lines.
    I also had 5 rows of louvers punched between the rocket tunnels..i think there' like 145 in it..

I still havn't gotten around to finishing it and putting it on though.

Yes, changing stuff, especially stuff to the structure of the car will effect the value of the car.
    But, are you building it for someone else, or for yourself?

Rat.

17. Suede57

Suede57

[ QUOTE ]
    Have a good look at the 57's on Friday at Wheels day....there's sure to be a few there! Will give you an idea or 2 I am sure.

Dave

<font color="red">NOT</font> going to Wheels Day...as its 6000 miles from here!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Will do bet there all street rods with the exception of roarin rat [​IMG]

18. Like it has been said before, it matters if you think you are going to sell the car. If you think you car, customize it in a way that can be changed back easy. I like the rocket launchers on the hood myself, but since the fuckin' '57's are ALWAYS stock because EVERYONE thinks they are worth bank, it's nice to see something different.

Reminds me of this old guy we saw today. We're waiting in this old man's field for some car parts and this asshole rolls up and says to my friend, "'58 Ford? Why are you ruining it?" My friend says what are you talking a bout. THe old man points to the front were we took the FORD letters off. He was giving us a bunch of shit saying we were ruining the car because we shaved a bit of the trim. It's worth it to customize the shit out of your car to piss assholes like that off.

19. Suede57

Suede57

I always enjoy pissing off classic american car buffs, they are are real pain over here

20. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

cheesus, you sound like old ladies

no car is sacred, just do it better then it was, dont just change for the sake of changeing...
    if your going to do something do it better, if its good stock leave it, can it be improved, change it...

21. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

Will a 56 hood fit a 57? I'm not much of a tri year guy but if you have major doubts about cutting up the hood check into using a 56 hood.

22. Suede57

Suede57

[ QUOTE ]
    Will a 56 hood fit a 57? I'm not much of a tri year guy but if you have major doubts about cutting up the hood check into using a 56 hood.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats an idea worth checking out, i know someone with a 56 time for a closer look

23. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Article from Car Craft Nov '57
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was also in there as well....
    [​IMG]

24. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

to my knowledge none of the tri-5 hoods are not compatable... Also, the ridges add strength to the hood, if they are shaved you will have to strengthen the hood on the underside.

25. Suede57

Suede57

The last picture with the scallops has really got me thinking.

26. [ QUOTE ]

Will do bet there all street rods with the exception of roarin rat

[/ QUOTE ]

Gary from Ickenham will be there (probably) with his, if the paintworks finished.... Hurry Bubz!

[​IMG]

27. turbocat49

turbocat49

NOW THAT LADIES AND GENTS IS HOT!!

28. Suede57

Suede57

i bet thers loads of people burning the midnight oil to get cars finished, hope the weather improves its been hailing most of the afternoon. the joys of an English spring [​IMG]

29. AssGasket

AssGasket

I've been thinking about getting a Tucker and teaching myself how to weld on it....

It needs chopped and sectioned.....