Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving three on the tree to the floor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blkf250diesel, May 3, 2007.

1. blkf250diesel

blkf250diesel
    from D/FW Texas

I am buying a 50 2dr ford. i was really thinking about how to move the three on the tree to shift from the floor.
    1 Has anyone done this swap?
    2 What do I need to do the swap?

I know the three on the tree is nostalgic, but i also like the tall shifter out of the floor better. just for driving comfort.

2. blkf250diesel

blkf250diesel
    from D/FW Texas

Also to replace the flat 6 with a flathead v-8 i would just need to move the motor mounts correct?

3. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

Three on the tree rocks.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

There are still many universal floor shift conversions out there that will work for your sideshift transmission. Measure twice before you hack the hole in the floor!

5. blkf250diesel

blkf250diesel
    from D/FW Texas

who makes the floor shift conversions?
    thanks for the help btw.

6. budd

budd

i run a universal shifter in my old truck, its one i picked up in a scrap yard and it does jam at the worst times, get yourself a good one.

7. bantam

bantam

I have a 49 Ford that I converted to floor shift using a universal hurst shifter I bought several years ago from Hot Rod and Custom Supply out of Florida. Installed the shifter on my living room floor - with the tranny out of the car of course - pretty simple to do. Shifter cost maybe $100 at the time - can't remember for sure.

Cut a hole in the floor. Try to make it a small one - I learned the hard way.

8. bantam

bantam

Oh, I forgot to add that the floor shifter gets in the way of your stock bench seat. I had put buckets in mine so no problem.

9. blkf250diesel

blkf250diesel
    from D/FW Texas

shit it has a bench. hah

10. phat rat

phat rat

it wasn't the right app or installed wrong if it interferes with the seat. we did it all the time back when, before buckets were popular

11. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I don't know aout early Fords, but I fabricated a floor shift for my 3-speed '49 Chevy out of a free 4-speed shifter from an 80's Camaro

Easy to do, and I'm not the world's best at bending metal.............

12. Retrorod

Retrorod

We used a new "Indy" Hurst shifter on one of those three speed side shift shoebox trannies......very inexpensive deal but it really was pretty sloppy and still would occasionally hang up between gears. It kinda was like shifting a wooden spoon in a bucket of cooked oatmeal. A fresh T-5 fixed everything.

13. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

People have been swapping them out for over fifty years now. Are you saying that you can't find a shifter to "bolt-in" or are you saying you have a shifter but you don't know how to install it, even thou they come with instructions? I've done several and don't recall it being very difficult. It can be a pain cutting the floor board but, if you install it without the shift lever, you can mark the floor from the bottom and start cutting. Like the guy said above start with a small hole to get your bearing and go from there. Bolt it on and cut more if necessary. Might help if you block the wheels, engage the e brake and crawl under it while someone shifts it from 1st thru 3rd. Make notes if you need to. Make sure the shift pattern matches the transmission lever positions. It's not that hard to do and well worth the install. Good luck. Got any pics?

14. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

i bought a hurst universal off ebay..worked okay, did jam here and there..think i paid 50 or so..and it just barely cleared the bench seat..after driving with it for awhile i decided to cut the stock arm off of it and weld on a 23" extension so the shifter sat higher, cleared the bench and looked much cooler..

15. blkf250diesel

blkf250diesel
    from D/FW Texas

Aman,
    I was just asking if someone made something that converts the three on a tree to the floor for the side shift tranny. that was all. thanks for the information everyone. no i just need to decide if i am going to stay old school or switch. now that i have an option to think about.

16. It is a basic fairly simple hot rod job that I think most of us have done at one time or another. Just follow the directions you will do ok.

17. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

18. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Buy a shifter kit and go for it. You can do it.:D