Register now to get rid of these ads!

lil John Buttera -Down but sure not out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cole, May 2, 2007.

1. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Get well soon John!. I'll pass the word on to some of his ol' friends here in Kenosha from his R&B days. Are thoughts are with you!.

2. duecevw

duecevw
    from oc calif

Just met him last year at the outriders show,What a cool guy. Get well soon , God bless. Duecevw

3. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Buttera is beyond bad ass in every sense of the word. He built the most flawless drag cars ever to grace the planet. His simplicity in both form and funchtion are nothing short of awe inspiring. Here's to wishing him a speedy return to the garage, and making more history. Cole and Jesse, thanks for sharing.

4. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

It's great that a site like this that is, let's say , well, billet unfriendly,can show so much compassion for the CREATOR of Billetry. HAMB members rule!!!! It's all about people first and their cars. I wish John and I were linked only by our love of cars and not cancer.
    Prayin' for a speedy recovery. Remember It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog! Tear 'em a new one John.
    mark.

Please give to cancer research.
    The cancer car lives.

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

It's no joke about male role models. Take someone younger under your wing (your kids, if you're a father). Direction in life is probably the most important thing you can give someone.

John B. is right Cole, you are the guy that next gen's kids will look up to, Most of us do right now for that matter. Keep us posted on his recovery dammit.

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Thanks for the update Jesse, I've never met John yet, but have watched him since the 80's.......

Excellent words of wisdom too, especially about not procrastinating!
    This stuff means even more when you have kids.........

Blessings all around!
    John

7. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

I was very fortunutate to get meet 'lil John at GG Pleasanton this year. He had his roadster in Steve Moal's booth, with bugs and road grime all over it. It was absolutely perfect! We ended up spending over an hour just BSing. One of the things that I took away from our conversation is that you ARE going to make a bunch of bad parts and screw things up before you get the ONE. You cannot be afraid to fail at something that you don't know how to do. There is a way to accomplish your goal, you just have to find it.

Best of wishes to John! I'm sure he will take on this battle with the same kind of tenasity and spirit that he has tried to pass on to others.

Please keep us posted on how is is doing, I'm sure he will be telling you to leave him the hell alone in no time!

8. Thoughts going out from South Dakota for him as well.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Cole... Jesse... If there is anything we can do as a community, don't hesitate to ask.

10. eltiberius

eltiberius

I'm not a prayin' sort of guy, but I'm sure that if anyone can pull through on something like this, it would be him.
    Thanks Jesse and Cole for the updates and kind words. And you are right Jesse when you say not to hesitate on projects. Had a close call with an idiot in a car while I was on my knucklehead the other day and the stuff that went through my head was about all the stuff at my shop that ain't done yet...gotta stay with it.

11. pitman

pitman

I hope there is a grand echo in here! Guys, Lil John is a most inspiring crafter. To Cole, and Jesse, I started in 1968 as a 16 year old. When Lil John became known, for the quality of his vision, everything ramped up a notch. His craft has touched everything...and helped our work too.
    Looking forward to what he chooses to impart us with, next. Peace to you guys! Thanks for passing this on to us.

12. I'm still amazed and inspired by stuff he did 20-30+ years ago.

Get well John,we need you.

13. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

my best lil john !

14. RF

RF

My boss and SR Editor Brennan (a close friend of John's) asked me to post this:

I have been reading all the comments on Lil’ John on the HAMB this day and I must say it has been incredible. It has proven to me once more that it’s the individual that matters most in life and hot rodding. Lil’ John is a good friend and it is apparent to me there are hundreds more out there who appreciate the man and the craftsman. I know I will always treasure his friendship.

I have just gotten off the phone with his son (Chris) and he tells me that Lil’ is still in intensive care for the remainder of the day and will be placed in a regular hospital room on Thursday. He has come through the operation surprisingly well according to the doctors and everyone has a positive feel for him. He is at Long Beach Memorial Hospital for those who have the ability to call or send a message. Right now he is receiving family but in the next few days will be able to see more and more individuals.

Sincerely,

Brian Brennan

15. For Lil' - know that we Canucks that know of you and have a deep appreciation for your accomplishments and contributions to this pastime are hoping you have a smooth and speedy recovery. And kudos on compliments to the younger torchbearers like Cole - he's one of my influences too, just like you.

Take care,

Steve Phillips

16. All the Best 'LIL John!...enjoyed our talk in del-mar

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

First off, the prayers have gone out and will continue until we hear he is out of the hospital and back on his feet. Like someone said,Prayer has little to do with religion.
    I was stunned to read about this and I thank Cole and Jesse for bring us up to speed . With someone like John you just assume he will be around forever and not subjected to the human failures we all face. It's unfair to think this way, we're ALL human.
    I've been following John's career since his funny car days wandering around the pits at Indy and being taken by the craftsmanship in the cars he built. Then when he built the T sedan it blew me out of the water. I soaked up every bit of knowledge I could about how he did things and wanted to be able to do just like he did. Everyone should have something or someone to aspire to and for me it's been L'il John Buterra.
    Get well soon and back out in the shop. We need the inspiration.

Frank

18. 29SX276

29SX276

Having had a brain tumour removed six years ago ,I know what Lil John is going through right now.Hoping you have a speedy recovery!

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

At the request of Jesse, we are gonna stick this one... His plan is to print it out and take it to John at the hospital.

Attached Files:

20. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Get well Lil'John.....Were pullin for you.

21. Best wishes, John, for a speedy recovery. I'll also pray for your quick recovery.

As Frank said "we're ALL human" and we must face our mortality and also that of our heroes. Many have been lost to us recenty, and more will surely go. That fact doesn't lessen the sadness nor the loss when it happens. Or the shock when there is a close call.

We all hold them near and dear, as is evidenced by the testimonials to John and his inspiration and talent.

To think, the gruff, diverse band of miscreants that is the HAMB brotherhood, sitting at their computers, with tears in their eyes, paying homage too this man, really says much more about his character than words can express. Get well soon!!!

22. I got up the guts to introduce myself to Lil John at the GNRS this year. I told him about the first time I saw the Willys he built in the 80s
    and how floored I was by it. He was very cool, then he noticed the HAMB button I was wearing from the meet&greet at the Suede Palace:eek: , He had some choice words about "internet car builders";) .
    Definately a strait shooter, and one of the greats. Get well soon.

23. displaced_kiwi

displaced_kiwi
    from Olathe KS

Lil John, I've never met you, yet this is tough to write as, like anyone remotely interested in hot rods and speed, I feel that I do know you. I hope you pull through and go at it full throttle !
    ricki

24. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

He built classy race cars before he built billit streetrods. The Wonderwagon in 73 and BankAmericar in 68 are a couple examples off the top of my head. Chassis for quite a few others too. We may like our hotrods old school instead of billit smooth, but we respect craftsmanship, innovation, and getting it done attitude, whatever the style. Don't sell HAMBers short on that. Get well John...
    Smoke 'em if ya got em!

25. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

No fn prayers huh...?

Well, how about best wishes - positive vibs & hopefull thoughts..

The guy is my hero - period.

Cole & Jesse - thanks for report - you guys are really blessed to be so close to a real deal legend.

Yo J - yours fist is clenched - you about to pop Chip again..?

26. Townsend

Townsend

I consider Lil' John a friend. I've known him for years and have even worked with him on some projects. He's a talent of a level we don't see often and a guy that can be trusted to tell you how he sees it.

I also realize that this forum is a traditional one and that as a group we tend to steer to a direction opposite of where John made his Street Rod bones. I also know that John has had some choice words for the forum in the past.

I just think it is pretty neat that when the cards are down we are all on the same team. Very big of the moderators to look past differences and recognize John for who he is and what he has contributed. I know John will be appreciative. And appreciation is something we can't give enough of to Lil' John.

27. Plowboy

Plowboy

Get well soon Lil' John!

To look on the bright side.....hopefully the drugs will give you some more wild ideas!

28. All my best wishes for a speedy recovery, John Buttera is the MAN!

I grew up in the 60's and 70's when I too eagerly awaited the next Car Craft or Hot Rod to see what the maestro of hot rods was doing next.

Billet may be a bad word here on the HAMB, but remember...iron and steel come from a billet too.

Keep the faith...HOT RODS RULE and John Buttera is a ruler.

29. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Thoughts and good wishes sent out!

RRR

30. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

get well soon