Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rods my dad owned through the years...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Hay, Apr 22, 2007.

1. It's been 9 years since I posted this thread, and 10 years since dad passed away. Just thought I bump it in his memory. 5-8-2016

It's coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my Dad's death. He was 52 and died of colon cancer (get yours checked!) My Dad's name is Dan Hay, and we're from Iowa but moved to Arizona in 85. He was a very crafty welder and fabricator, and painter, and over the years he owned some pretty cool cars. I had the privilege of growing up around hot rods, (I'm now 30) and I got some of my dad's photo albums and scanned in a bunch.

So, as a tribute to a great Dad and Hot Rodder, Here are some of the cars he owned over the years, with some comentary sprinkled in...

If you knew my dad, have owned or know where some of these cars are at, I'm interested in hearing about it..

Please excuse dated wheels, paint etc, as most of these pics are
    old.

Here's a 41 cad with a 53 drivetrain
    [​IMG]
    Dad decided to push sprint cars at the fair with the 41
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dad sold this car to Willie G. Davidson of H.D. Last I heard he still owns it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    37 chevy sport coupe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More later......

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    wicarnut, bct and David Gersic like this.
  2. He had a 48 chevy Ute for awhile, the neighbors complained because it was parked in the backyard on an "unimproved" surface... So, dad made an "improved" surface in the front yard and parked it where all the neighbors could see the ugly old thing. They never complained again about cars in the backyard...:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Street legal sprint car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is me when I was 18 hotlapping the sprinter at Mazanita.
    [​IMG]
    Mercury Delivery
    [​IMG]

Winter storage in the basement. The engine is a 255 4 cam Indy Ford.... We paid alot of medical bills when we sold this motor after he died..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A-400 (former sedan)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    gas & guns and wicarnut like this.
  3. Great Stuff......thank you for sharing...

I love the Caddy pushing the sprint car....and the Ute in the front garden....

4. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

"He had a 48 chevy Ute for awhile, the neighbors complained because it was parked in the backyard on an "unimproved" surface... So, dad made an "improved" surface in the front yard and parked it where all the neighbors could see the ugly old thing. They never complained again about cars in the backyard...:D"

Way cool, sounds like a man I would like to have met...thanks for the post, very nice cars.

CC

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If your Dad's family life was as varied and well done as his "car"-life you and your family are very very fortunate people, and so are those who knew him as friends and acquaintances! Congratulations on your celebration of a life well-lived and appreciated!!

6. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Great pics! Sorry that he passed but it looked like he enjoyed life to the fullest! Some of us can only hope for as much.

Dave

7. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Cool cars, thanks for sharing, must have been a blast growing up with all those cool machines around

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome, your led a very cool life. Thanks for sharing.....oh yeah and the flathead dragster is the best.

9. I like the 37 sport coupe!

10. tjm73

tjm73

These two cars are pretty cool. Any more info on the little old timey race car (2nd pic)?

Wasn't that street legal Sprint car in Hot Rod once? Seems like I have seen that before.

11. A couple weeks back, I read a book about the discovery of sulfa drugs.

What's that got to do with anything?

Well, they are probably the single most important advancement in the history of medicine. Discovered in the 1930's, they had already been superceded by shortly after WWII. Although they were replaced, the way they were discovered revolutionized medicine. But that's not what really blew me away.

Since my dad's mom was a surgeon during that period of time, I started talking to him about the book. As it happens she treated him with sulfa once.

Moral: Our parents are a link with the past, and by talking to them, we get to see into a world that no longer exists.

Or some flowery shit like that...

12. Yes, the street legal sprinter was in Hot Rod, or Hot Rodding or something like that in the early 80's before Dad owned it.

The second car is just a replica built with an "Osca" which was an italian DOHC 4 cylinder that much resembled and sounded like an offy. I drove the car once. It had and in/out box with a Model T style cone clutch and starter. Sounded like an offy....fun.

13. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

A simply stunning collection of cars! Those Caddys and the Buick in particular, but gorgeous Fords too! Thanks for sharing, both the pics and the reminder to get checked up!

14. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

15. those are some killer pics man! your pop obviously had a great life, and you got to come along for the ride. i would love to have been either of you! best wishes to you, & my prayers for your dad. thanx for sharing!

16. roddinron

roddinron

Ya know, I love this post, I was just reading another post where everyone seemed to have an opinion of what a "real" hot rodder is, and if you ain't doin' it the way it's already been done, then you're no hot rodder. Your Dad seemed to like everything (even what could be classified as the dreaded "street rod"), and seemed to explore a lot of avenues. THAT is what a Hot Rodder is, and it looks like he sure had fun doing his own thing without worrying about what others thought, and that's what hot rodding is all about. Your Dad died too young, but it looks like he enjoyed the ride.

17. Paint schemes and wheels be damned, those are some cool cars. Seems your dad accomplished quite a bit for his too short of time, and was a true hot rodder. I bet you feel fortunate to have had such a good role model, and I bet he felt fortunate to have such a considerate son. Thanks for sharing your memories.

18. Thank you for sharing these pics and memories.You obviously had an adventurous upbringing.Your Dad,would be proud of you honouring him,with this tribute.Keeping up the tradition,is the incredible legacy he left behind.

19. Thanks, I appreciate all of the comments.

20. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

There is nothing OT about real hot rods built by a real hot rodder. Thanks for sharing.

21. great pics,you dad had some pretty cool rides

22. hatch

hatch
    from house

Sorry to hear about your dad, and thank you very much for posting the pictures.....they were great.

23. Isn't the red #96 sprint car Bob Trostle's first car ? I believe John Babb from Ottumwa drove it at one time.

24. Yes! Good eye. Bob Trostle is a close family friend.

25. alchemy

alchemy

I kinda remember your Dad. I knew of him pretty much though. I grew up around Central Iowa rod runs and saw him and his cars a lot.

I remember going to your place in Des Moines once and seeing a car in the basement. It had Halibrands on it that still had the Dow 7 coating on them. Must have been the T bucket.

Did he have a '40 Willys coupe for sale once? I think it was Noble who took us over there.

I recognize a lot of the cars in your pics. Thanks for the memory jog.

PS: Is the car in your avitar dark purple? I remember that car too, but it didn't used to have whitewalls back then.

26. cr

cr
    from scottsdale

As a rodder Dan did it all fix, build, buy, sell, DRIVE em. Your only seeing a fraction of the cars Dan had. When a rod ( one we hadn't seen before) would come crusin in, a good bet would be smiling Dan. When someone needed help Dan would be there. Guy's remember when we get to that place in the sky look for a big red Buick convert and a guy wearing a classy white hat, it will be Dan (you will not find a better buddy).

"God we miss him"

Dan Hay likes this.
  27. I bet you had a lot of fun growing up...

28. Thanks Alchemy and cr for the memories. cr, are you one of the Zonie Motors crew?

29. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Great cars, he had good taste!
    I feel your pain though, I lost my father about a year and a half ago to colon cancer as well. Big healthy guy that rarely drank and never smoked- never would have guessed (get checked early people!). I have a couple projects that I have to finish for him. At least he got his dream car (O/T) and got to enjoy it a bit.

30. slammed

slammed

A nice tribute. He build a little of everything style-wise. Savor your goodtime's w/the man.