Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fiberglass rodders are people to

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinys Used Casket Salvage, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Thresher

Thresher
    from Austin, TX

You know, I honestly couldn't figure out if I liked the middle of that story or not. I am 38 (is that old or young?) and my car is 'glass. My first car was a steel '29 on '32 but it was before I was married and didn't have a care (or financial responsibility in the world). Now, I choose glass because it's light, easy to fix and easy to insure. Better or worse than steel? Nah. just different.
    But I'm sad for someone who holds judgement based on the material of his neighbors' rod. Unless you built it yourself in 1948, we're all copycats in one form or another. And as a rod guy stuck on the side of the road before, I thank you for helping a fellow rodder out. :thumbup:

2. i dont have to prove anything to anyone, the proof is in my driveway, the only pic i have is the on my girl took, which is the one on my profile.

3. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

I thought that was the whole purpose of the post.

4. i wasnt trying to prove anything with the post besides that i like to lend a helping had when need be

5. not once did i put down a fellow hotrodder or "old person" i've gained all i know from old timers. have a sense of humor man, all i was doing is sharing an experiance i had, u cant say one thing nowadays that may be taken as racial political or prejudice without someone throwin a fit, as for where this post has gone, im done with it, it's rediculous.

6. We are all "CAR GUYS",even the kid in the hopped up honda.Some of those "kids"(no not all) could teach a few hot rodders about respect.I've met a few who were very polite,and asked some of the most informed questions.This was at the racetrack,we were testing,while they were there for the friday street legal drags.Though they had imports,they were very enthused about other peoples rides.Those young car guys and girls may find a new direction if we as old car enthusiasts don't drive them away with arrogant attitudes.Same for glass hot rods,they are interested in old cars too.Helping either of them out,does the entire automotive hobby a service.We might learn something from each other.:rolleyes:

7. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

glass is cool too, its more of the way the car is built that makes the "style", and the persons mentality. Grouchos car is the shit IMO. Plus you can build a glass 32 in a traditional style for less then a real 32 body costs that needs a resto, so what the hell.

8. GlenC

GlenC

I read somewhere there's way, way more Deuces on the road today than ever came out of the Ford factory in 1932. If it wasn't for fibreglass that certainly wouldn't be the case now would it?

Glad you stopped to help out a fellow rodder. I stop if I see someone in trouble, it's common courtesy, and if they like my ride, that's a bonus.

Cheers, Glen.

9. chopped

chopped

So I checked your profile, don"t you have any trees in South Dakota?

10. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Good you helped him...but I for one am sick and tired of this steel vs. fiberglass debate.

11. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

One time when I was driving my dads 60 Hawk back to Ft. Huachuca from Phoenix I had a flat... Going around a slight curve in the road, saw a big hunk of tire in my lane up ahead, changed lanes but the car infront of me didnt for whatever reason, hit the tire and sent it right at me and blew out my tire.. Anyway, I'm gettin the lugs loose and a hopped up Civic pulls over and the guy offers me some assistance blah blah blah...

Only time that I've ever been broke down and had someone pull over and see if I needed help. Everyone loves to talk shit about streetrods or import 'zing zing' cars or basically anyone who drives a car that they don't like.. but the fact is car guys are car guys, no matter what your particular taste in cars is, we all share the common love for cars in some fashion. Any self respecting car guy should help.

12. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

Remember someday it could be your loved one broke down on the side of the road. I try to offer help when ever I can.

13. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

14. flathead okie

flathead okie

To me it doesn't matter glass or steel. I've had both. According to what I want. I don't care if it's glass, when ya need help ,ya need help. More than likely it's the drivetrain giving problems not the body.

15. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Very good 64 posts and were giving broke down motorists the finger and burnin out .. What are you like 12.. If you can do the Fiberglass rodder a favor (hey i got a glass car and im old so i must not appreciate real hot rods) then you could also help out the honda guy too. Remember your wheels maybe easy to spot and if the guy is broke and family or little kids in the car and you carry on like that he may 1 choose to call the cops or 2 (the one I like) find you some evening and hammer your nose in :) Lets see its too early for pop corn so being as old as im am and not knowing anything about real rods im gonna leave you all now and head to indiana for the sprint car races.. real horsepower real balls..
    Have a Nice Day
    Dave

16. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Who the hell are you?

Driving:
    1989 Lincoln Continental
    1983 Buick Park Avenue Electra Deisel

Move along now

17. Mutt

Mutt

Richard, maybe you should post less and read more for a while.:rolleyes:

..."anyways, there was a voice in my head that told me to leave the guy and laugh as i smoked the tires away from the scene"... You were gonna smoke the tires on the car in your profile? What, in a pipe?:eek:

Mutt

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

AMEN BROTHER!

I don't get it. Having a preference is one thing. Considering not helping someone in need because their choice does not mirror your choice is something all together different. You sure didn't impress this steel lover.

19. by the way i was kidding about the burning out and flippin the guy off, obviously u couldnt tell

20. nero

nero

looks like WAR all over again

21. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

There's three subjects here: 1. Poser manners, 2. the age of "real" hot rodders, and 3. the old glass thing.

1. What goes around comes around.
    2. Larry T and Smokeystoker have it right in my view.
    3. And let's not forget that hot rods got started as CHEAP cars built by amateur builders. Old steel ain't cheap any more so if glass is more affordable then go for it.

22. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Sometimes educating the young only sounds like war.

It's the ones that won't accept education that are the problem.

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

(1.) If a Tuner Honda is "Real Steel" and the Flathead powered traditional Deuce next to it is Fiberglass,....... is the rusted out stock 53 Kaiser 4 Dr. the only Hot Rod of the bunch,.... even if it's stock ????

(2.) If a fiberglass traditional style Hot Rod was built in 1978, and has 100,000 miles on it,... can a "Traditional Hot Rodder" born in 1984 decide it isn't really a Hot Rod ??????

(3.) Is it safe to assume if a "Traditional Hot Rodder" was born after the advent of Fiberglass bodies,...... He is actually not a real Hot Rodder at all,... just a reproduction???,.... One more thing, where can I get the official guide to what a acceptable Hot Rod is?, I must have missed that one when I was in the garage working on what I thought was a Hot Rod.

24. Fibreglass rodders???

Help the neediest I say

25. ok, im sorry if i offended anyone in anyway shape or form, i didnt mean to, esp. seinors and glass body guys, like i've said before i dont care what u drive as long as u enjoy driving it... and belive me i would enjoy any of you guys educating me more than i already am, and as for the deisel and the lincoln, the buick i use for pulling a trailer for my runs to the scrap yard, and the lincoln is the ride i got from my grandfather after he passed it's the only thing he had besides his huge collection of hot rods and those went to the crusher after he died, thanks to the rest of my family

26. I'm really happy to see that you would appoligize to anyone here that was offended rather that contunue with a worn out debate.

Most of the older guys and even some guys that build and drive glass hot rods(notice I didn't say Street Rods;) :D ) ususally see the young guys with the perfect cuffs, wallet chains, pompador hair and brand spanking new club jackets as the "wannaBees"

There is a huge cross section of hotrodders here on the HAMB and pleanty to learn if you want.

I'm sure you mean well and I hope you stick around long enough to learn about hotrodding from people that have been there and are doing it now.

There is no age limit and should never be a us against them attitude.

27. flathead48

flathead48

Ya, you gotta help out a fellow rodder in distress otherwise your just an asshole

28. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I would always stop if i saw any old car broke down ! last time it was a restored 30 somthing packard. they had a trailer coming to get them, and were ok, so I gave them my card and told them if they ever wanted to chop it give me a call ! ha ha.

29. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

It's Sunday. Go to church.

30. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

If you were just kidding.. Then keep your mouth shut.. Mommy ever tell ya.. If ya cant say anything nice or at least smart then dont say anything..:)
    By the way the races were great but them cars are all carbon fiber and fiberglass..........:eek:
    Dave:D:D:D