Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake/clutch m/c assemblies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ct, Apr 18, 2007.

1. ct

ct
    from minnesota

I need some help finding a clutch brake combination the will work off the firewall. I'm thinking I won't have enough space to run a traditional setup under the floor. I looked at some of the fancier companies (wilwood,master brakes) but was wondering if there might be another place to look. I'm running drums all around. Maybe not so much fancy as ugly and dirty?

Thanks

CT

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Look into a mini truck or nissan car (sentra, 240) for small, easy to adapt units, or make your own. (I stole this from a tech thread)

Attached Files:

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

Do you want dual reservoir brakes or can you use a Chevy PU brake/clutch MC? If so, Transdapt, Tardel etc. have pedals.

4. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

5. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Phew, those are pricey, but I'm gonna start checking volkswagens at the junkyard. I don't think that's a bad idea at all. Did they ever go to a dual master?

6. BJR

BJR

Check out the bore size of the VW master, I don't think it has enough volume to work American drum brakes. The wheel cylinders on American iron take more fluid then the tiny VW ones. Brian

7. john56h

john56h

8. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

i'm looking for an underfloor, but everything is upwards of $400...

9. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

why wouldn't there heavy duty work? It has a 7/8" bore... which is a little shy of, say, a Mustang master cylinder's bore of 1". I'm looking for something to run in my '51 Ford... I'll be running front discs with whatever stock drums came on the Ford 9" out back. Would it just not be enough pressure? I don't want to run a power booster or a hydroboost (no power steering, manual rack and pinion)...

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

Anybody know the bore diameters of the Pete & Jake's Model A kit?

12. lik2writ

lik2writ
    from NY

Search the posts for swing pedals, a few recent discussions and there is a pretty descript one, think under Tech along with plans and current parts #'s for brake cylinders and slaves .
    Also, Summit is carrying transdapt the swing pedals really cheap, ( under 75 ) but, right now the quality of recent transdapt stuff isnt that good, so beware. All the metal used thinner than their older stuff from not too long ago. Don't know if they've improved on what Summit is selling.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just received a tilton catalog in the mail and I have to say I'm very impressed with the products that they're selling. They have a direct firewall mount applications as well. I'm thinking very seriously about going with them. They have some other pretty unique looking setup possibilities as well that I haven't seen anyone else offer.

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with and how you set it up. I would really like to know. I think brakes are a really good topic around here and the subject is worthy of it's very own tech section based on the fact that you can set brakes up a thousand different unique ways!

14. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

I've got the same problem, and I went on epay last night and got a nice nova set-up dirt cheap. There were a lot of postings for small units like you're looking for. Give it a shot. Look under"master cylinder" and "pedals". You should be able to find something that w/do the job. Good luck....Ole Pork

15. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

actually.....thats really cool looking....if only i could adapt that to my '53.....hmmmm....

16. screwtheman

screwtheman

Wilwood has a double pedal setup that uses their modular master cylinders. I really like the clean/racy look they have on the firewall.

But I've also heard a S-10 pedal assembly is pretty easy to rip out and use as well.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

early 60's chev trucks have a nice set up and f-1's aren't bad either both traditional too

18. flamedolds

flamedolds

19. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

it's so easy to put a dual reservoir behind the stocker, I had it done in a few hours, starting from scratch. If you bought the filling station's kit, it would be faster, but more $. I used 10 gauge scrap sheet steel.

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone have pics of a hanging setup with cowl steering?? Specifically with a Schroeder sprint box?

21. ct

ct
    from minnesota

This took me too long to get back to the thread. I went with the pedal set up from Stock Car Products. It wasn't too pricey and I think it has a good rough look to it. I used Wilwood m/c's mounted on the firewall. It isn't traditional, but I just wanted it to work. This was really easy to do. If anyone has any questions, I'm more than happy to pass on any of my limited knowledge.

22. jason12872

jason12872

I run drums brakes all the way around and a hydraulic throwout bearing in my Model A truck. I used a Willwood Dual Master cylinder for my brakes and a single for my clutch , I used Willwood floor Clutch Pedal assemblies with some pedals I made. It's a nice compact setup.

[​IMG]

23. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

Run an Anson style set up with an ealy 60's Chevy truck clutch/brake cylinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. i shortened a stock 1963 c10 assembly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]