Register now to get rid of these ads!

The stuck bolt blues Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyfiveford, Apr 16, 2007.

1. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

This weekend I was in the process of removing the coil springs from my 51 chev. As per the shop manual, I unbolted the lower control arm shaft and tap out the bolts. but... I have one bolt that has become one with the car.

Whats the best way to remove a stuck bolt? I figure my options are to cut the threads flush and then drill it out, or I could air chisel off the head of the bolt. The bolt goes through the frame rail, will an air chisel cause more harm than good?

Funny thing is the nut and lock washer came off without any problems, now I just have the bolt.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thx, Simon

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I recently ran into this problem with a junkyard rear end. Had EVERYTHING removed and out except for one rear spring eyebolt. I wound up leaving it there, intending to get back over there with a portable sawsall and a prybar to spread the bracket and cut the bolt. I figured since they won't let me use a torch that'd be the only way.

Good luck getting it out!

3. pitman

pitman

Not sure of your particular application, but my sequence is penetrant, impact, and if no rubber or combustible matls, heat. Sometimes a water saturated cloth will protect neighboring rubber bushings...try searching the rusted bolt threads here, some guys have mentioned some good penetrant stories. After re-reading, can you get a hold of an air wrench, and an impact socket?

4. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

yes penetrant !
    I then tap the bolt, apply more penetrant, tap ,tap....
    do this for a good while, I have always had them come lose this way.

5. Mr. OAM

Mr. OAM
    from Ohio

PB Blaster..........'nuff said.

That stuff has done wonders for me. If that doesn't get it by itself (you might have to apply it several times and allow it to work overnight) then apply an air hammer to the end opposite the head. If it doesn't come out with PB Blaster and an air hammer it can't come out.

Steve

6. needachev

needachev

pb blaster has worked wonders for me. i'm stuck in a similar situation. the through bolts for the rear of front leafs are stuck and i couldn't break them loose at all. i soaked em in pb everyday for a week, went out this past weekend, came undone with minimal force, didn't have to heat 'em. pb blast everything

7. Heat the bolt... not the metal around the bolt.

The bolt will expand in the hole and press outward against the sides of the hole. This will re-align the molecules in the bolt and, also, crush any oxidation between the bolt and the hole. Let the bolt cool completely. Metal shrinks to smaller than original size when heated red hot and cooled. It should come right out.

DO NOT strike the bolt while it's hot...

JOE:cool:

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

been there done that, , , can you say "hot riviting" ? :mad: :eek:

9. topless54

topless54

If none of the above listed solutions help, go to the upright end of the control arm and take the spring out that way. Don't know about re-assy cause usually when coil springs come out of my frt ends, they lose weight before going back in!