Register now to get rid of these ads!

super T10 ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Apr 14, 2007.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i have an aluminum cased super t10 4 speed. i'm interested to find out what it came out of. there's a raised pad with this number stamped in it(24n158954). i know it's a close ratio and it has a hurst shifter. anybody know? also, where's the date code on this tranny?

2. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

If it's an aluminum case it ain't no Super T10,it's a Muncie.
    I don't know the #'s but I'm sure someone here does.
    There are inputs with no rings,1,2&3 rings.
    All different low ratios and different spreads through the gears ending in a 1:1 4th gear.
    There is usually a spot somewhere on the case and tail housing with raised #'s that are dates ___-___-___

3. silent rick

silent rick

on one side of the case, there's large casting numbers 1304065903. on the other side on the tail shaft, there's the borg warner casting mark with 13-04-066-901 cast under it. the input shaft is fine splined with 2 grooves. the output shaft appears to be 25 percent larger in diameter than the standard t10. someone told me the stamped number on the raised pad is a partial vin number that would reveal what vehicle it came from.

4. On the side cover where the forward shift shafts are, it'll be flat across the bottom for a Muncie, and round like a pigs belly for a T-10 assuming we're talkin' GM stuff here?

5. If the output shaft's bigger than usual (Turbo 400 yoke), and it's fine spline input shaft, it's a heavy duty trans for sure. I never got a straight answer from anyone what REALLY determines a "Super" T-10 from not

6. buds56

buds56

7. silent rick

silent rick

the side cover is rounded at the bottom. the output shaft is noticably larger when compared to a regular t10. yes, we are talking gm. the guy told me maybe corvette, maybe 442, he couldn't remember what it came from.

8. silent rick

silent rick

according to this site, it's from a 1974 pontiac, norwood ohio plant. 2 grooves mean a close ratio 2.43 1st gear.

thanks for the link

9. Close for a T-10, but nicer spread than Muncie's close ratio

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No offense, my friend, but you are wrong. I have a Super T-10 in my '55 Buick and it is an aluminum case.

11. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I just remembered that I have seen an aluminum case B/W trans(The only one I ever saw) and I went and looked and I still have the case (it was busted and poorly repaired).
    It had a bastard spline count on the output shaft and it turned out to be either a Rambler or Studebaker.Idon't recall which.
    I couldn't get a good pic of the numbers on the case but they are stamped in the top rear of the case on a flat pad right between the shifter plate and the tail housing and are often very difficult to see without some scraping or a rust eraser.
    Here is a pic of the date on a tail housing located on the pass. side. I know this won't confirm the application but at least it will tell you what year the tail housing was made which might or might not be the mate to your case.
    [​IMG]

12. dochorsepower

dochorsepower

To BUDS56: Thanks for the link. Yes, Super T-10's were made in aluminum. The key is the 26 spline input and large 32 spline output. I've got two of them, one in my '75 vette and the other going in my '31 A.