Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics Of My Work On The Av8 Roadster Buildup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moefuzz, Apr 8, 2007.

1. moefuzz

moefuzz

Hi all,

I've been working on this roadster build for almost 3 years (on and off) but it's finally my turn to get in line for paint and bodywork at the shop and have my "replacement" roadster body coloured...

Long story short, this is the Second Roadster body that I have paid for :mad: with hard to come by cash via lots of overtime and working on other peoples restores so I'm just happy to see my project finally move along....

Apologies for not having all the commentary typed in yet but the album is an ongoing work and I have to go shovel the sidewalk....

Hope the link works...

http://moes-garage.spaces.live.com/

Click on the title pic to enlarge and use the slider or the <> buttons to go thru the album at your own pace..

Thanks for looking,
    moe

2. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

A very impressive project and presentation, Thanks for sharing and getting the spring time juices flowing again......H

3. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

What did you end up doing with the frame? Widening it?

Great pics and keep adding commentary. Anyone considering building a car for the first time should check this out. This guy is meticulous.

Tucker

4. moefuzz

moefuzz

Thanks for the comments guys,...

The pics of the frame/body are fairly recent so I haven't attacked that problem yet... But I will probably cut the rear crossmember and adjust the width by adding an inch or so.

Realistically, the body is in the radar right now and I will work the frame as need be and time permits. The idea is get the paint done, continue the frame and engine/tranny/body mounts in my home shop, then assembly and touch up any clearcoat problems then wetsand. This is not the usual timeline that most cars would go thru but both myself and the shop are under a strict time constraint, so I'm lucky I can squeeze in line and get the body painted as it is.

For what it's worth and for those interested,.....

The body (as new) has absorbed about 150 hours of massaging and tweaking as even a brand new all steel body has more than a few problems. I'm thinking that one more boarding, and then paint and clearcoat will take another 25 +/- hours. Add 40 hours for wetsanding at a later date. This should give you an idea of cost when restoring your original vs working with fresh steel (just for comparison)...

Also, Before the clearcoat gets too hard, we will add some "unique" (First time tried??) ghost flames as I have some crazy ideas that will be implemented a few months from now when we apply another few coats of clear and do the final wetsand. True ghost flames are the kind that your buddy notices a year after the car is done, but I'm leaning toward a unique slant on true and tradition ghost flames...

moe

5. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

Can't wait to see your take on ghost flames.

Tucker

6. moefuzz

moefuzz

Tucker,

I can't give away too much info but the ghost flames will be more or less the real 'run of the mill' hard to see in the daylight ghost flames.... with a new twist..

Also, once the fresh paint has settled, it will be a spell before I finish the project or take the next big/major step, So I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet... But there will be some 'fooling' around with all aspects of the ghost flames and clearcoat(s)

By The Way, .....I've updated most of the commentary to match the progress of the picture album thus far..

I'll add more pics throughout the next few weeks as the basic body is massaged and the base colors are applied.... There just may be considerable time to think about how I want to accomplish a set of almost invisible flames and/or the final clearcoats - over the +/- next six months as other projects need there turn in the booth first...