Register now to get rid of these ads!

ARTISTS - read!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Apr 6, 2007.

1. guiseart

guiseart

Okay, just throwing this out there...

There was a thread started about a year ago by somebody looking for a place to open a "hot rod art" shop... can't find it anymore.

All the excellent work on the weekly art thread has got me thinking again, I think a shop featuring nothing but hot-rod inspired artwork, furniture, and clothing would be a kick in the ass... agree or disagree? If you know of one around your area, I'd like to see pictures or a website addy, 'cause there sure ain't one around my area. and NO... I refuse to go all James Dean/Elvis/poodleskirt themed with it.

Would a few of you be interested in contributing your work to such a shop/gallery? I sure would run one, watch it all day, sell shit, work on my cars and etchings in the process... I just want to get a headcount of who would be interested and who thinks the idea sucks. I live in the middle of the U.S.A. on the most major East/West highway there is. Just reading the ArtShow threads every week gets me excited about all of the talent we have in here, and what a shame not to spread it out a little, let alone the idea we might make a few bucks!

The better the idea caught on, the bigger a place we could afford to lease... could be huge. We could have a dozen of them too. Give me some thoughts.

GO!

2. Spaulding

Spaulding
    from Wichita

That would be too damn kool!:cool:

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Greg.. if you handle it...I am IN.

4. Lil John

Lil John

That would be cool..I'd be up to send stuff your way or what ever...

5. I'm always looking for a reason to make art. I don't have time to just do it for fun, so it would be cool to have a gallery to show and sell stuff. If it was just purly hotrod art - like the Friday art show I think it would be great!

No nicknacks :D

6. unkindz

unkindz

Yea, I'd send some stuff too. It would need a website too!

7. My dad's welding shop, in Fond du Lac, WI has a really nice retail area in the front. It's full of his parts stash at the moment. He's thinking of retirement and will be keeping the shop to build rods. He, also, wants me back down there to join him.
    If it all goes in that direction, I'll be keeping my place here as my "cabin up North" and living back down there. I'm betting I could use that retail area for such a venture. I have a pretty good grip on the internet thing and wouldn't mind learning to run a retail website, either.

It's not in a big metro area, but it's on a main highway... so, like I said, it could be an option... and one I would take time to explore if something better isn't found.

I'll talk to him about it...

JOE:cool:

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'd be in...how would you handle it...??? Commision sales only or consignment or...???

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

Roger- what would each entail?

And I think the HAMB should get a cut.

I'd be interested in doing some bigger sculpture.

10. I'm interested to see where this goes. I'll throw in my support if/where I can.

11. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

I think it could be done. I have thought about it allot. But, in order for it to be done and profitable, you would need a large population of somewhat locals to keep it running. Chicago, New York, LA would be optimum places for a gallery. You would have to sell a hell of allot of stuff at say $200.00 a piece to keep the doors open when you deduct the artists percentage, shipping, your standard "stay in buisness" items and whatnot. Then you also have to keep up with the web stores that sell allot of the same type of items.
    Personally, I usually sell most of my stuff within a week of it's completion. From my website I send a message to my address book saying heres the new peice that I finished and heres the price. Someone buys it and It gets shipped off. I sold over 30 pieces last year from my webpage and maybe 10 from the gallerys and shows I have done.

I am not saying it will or wouldnt work, and hell, I'd even send a few pieces to you, but thats just my perspective on things.

12. of course, of course ,of course
    i would be willing to contribute artwork to hang
    you could sell it, the gallery keep a percent and foward the rest to the artist
    pretty much standard

13. Gigantor

Gigantor

Great Idea . Count me in - let's see where this goes. What can we/I do to help this along?

14. Burny

Burny

I would be intersted in this for sure. Keep me posted...

15. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

hell i'd be in to it might have to start doin' more stuff
    your pinstripin' buddy lit'l bill

16. TINGLER

TINGLER

I'm interested.

What you've proposed isn't a new ground breaking idea though. You are essentially talking about running an art gallery.

If I were you, I'd research how to run a successful art gallery.....just so you know what you are getting yourself into.

I'm no expert, but I've been knocking around the minor league galleries a few years now. Most of them plain out suck. Generally you got yer pot smokin slacker/artist type running the the space for free cheese and crackers appearantly....cause the dude obviously ain't selling ANYTHING for anybody.

Most art professor types use places like that to pad their resumes so they look more important than they are.

.....I'm a free agent, so I make money from the actual sales of my artwork. If I show at your place, I want to make some money. (cause I'm a greedy s.o.b.) ;) :D Not really, I just like to be able to afford some luxury items like food every once in a while.

As a gallery operator, you can become very wealthy. You gotta be able to kick ass in the elbow rubbing dept though. You gotta bring in the art buyers....the big spenders.

Anyhow,
    Just throwing that out there. Consider me in for a few pieces. You can PM me any questions if you have any. I don't know how much you already know about the business, but I think I can probably give a few pointers if you want.

:)

17. It looks like I might have misunderstood you Greg.
    I thought you were asking if anyone knew of a place to do this.
    I just re-read your post and realized you were offering to do it there...

Sorry about that...

JOE:cool:

18. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

I'm definitely interested!!!

19. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I'm interested also. See where this goes.

BR

20. 38pickup

38pickup

I'm interested ....

-Tony

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

greg,

i am interested too. it'll give me a reason to keep on making the linocut series...

22. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

im definently interested. but i have an idea, why dont we have it on the hamb, a section just to post and sell your stuff and we can give a portion to the hamb. think about it, this would be the best place to sell, because the guys who are going to buy our work are the guys who come on this site.

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

wow.......good insight.

24. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

I think it's a great idea. I haven't posted much here, but I did run a co-op gallery in Denver for 5 years and let me tell ya, it aint easy. It's hard to break even and even harder to make it profitable. Unless you are in a major metropolitan area with other galleries around, it would be real tough (see tingler's post).

That said, I think a permanent online gallery here is a fantastic idea, especially for those who don't have their own site. It may detract from the friday show a bit.

It could work if you have the empty space just sitting there, and don't have to have it pay for itself. It could become a destination for those passing through.

25. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Ditto! I'm with Tingler. I'm down for an opportunity to show and sell work, especially with the likes of the people on this board. We have a lot of talent here a place to show it is a great idea, however not something to be taken lightly. Running a gallery can be a LOT of work. So long as it's run seriously, with a fair commission, EXCELLENT record keeping (as prints will most likely be a big deal) and a bit of that going to the HAMB (why the hell not- We're all going to hopefully be sane individuals when most of the tin's gone and help a brother out without asking for a first born... We are the only one's who give a shit you know). So yeah... if you're down to commit to running a gallery that doesn't end up with a bunch of pissed of artists, I'm in. Keep us posted and get things moving if you're serious.

Jonny

26. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

I'm definitely interested! And this hamb gallery idea is superb!

27. guiseart

guiseart

Okay - great input from all...

After thinking more about it (all afternoon), and seeing all the folks willing to contribute, I've come to a few conclusions.

I think an online gallery would be the best way to start. Some of us have our own webpages, but we need cohesiveness (sp) and a good ad campaign to get more attention to our kind of work. I think an "Artist Coalition" is the way to approach this.

we need a logo for the group of us, something that would be recognizable to the general public after awhile, a written contract about sales and who gets what.

If the coalition got a percentage of sales generated by the website, the group of us would be saving for an actual "gallery". The only problem I see in getting all excited about a New York or L.A. type space is the fact that you can "fail" a lot easier... like somebody mentioned, you'd have to sell a shitpot of $200-$500 items every damn day just to make rent... screw that. I can find a building on the side of a major highway for a few hundred a month (instead of a few thousand), rent a billboard on the east and west side of it, a yellowpage ad, and travellers stop... I swear, they stop. A few strategically placed magazine articles and ads, and our little gallery can get attention and make sales anywhere man. But I think we have to start with an online presence. A big one.

HAMB Gallery is a good idea, but we all know what most of us can do anyway, we know where to go for shirts, who the best pinstripers are, who lives where and does what... we already got that, maybe not the newbs, but who cares? Kidding guys. I'm not sure that bugging Ryan for a spot on our beloved Journal would be worth the hassle... most of us have a spot in the Hamb'Odex anyway. Pictures take up a shitload of memory anyway, we might overload this puppy.

Anyway, I'm looking at a bunch of other "art" sites tonight to see how they got them setup, I will check back on any more comments that may arise, thanks again for all the wonderful input.

Internet presence
    profit to artist and coalition
    coalition grows
    more profit for artist and coalition
    coalition grows
    more profit for artist and coalition
    we all die rich and miserable
    works for me!

28. I go pogo

I go pogo

We have just such a gallerey in our little town of El Segundo Calif, named Gasoline. they seem to be doing well, or at least keeping their doors open. they allso go to the hot rod events and sell stuff. They recently held a show and lined the street with hot rods and motorcycles. Gene Windfield even made a sculpture for the show. I think their web site is gasolineart.com? any way you can goggle them if you want. pogo

29. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Pondering...

Yes.

Gallery art of feature artists and stuff signing, the works.

Regional Heros like Starbird and the like...

30. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

After you figure out all the details, count me in for some Desk Top Art Work models. Gene