Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pulling steering wheel, '53 chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayfarer, Apr 6, 2007.

1. wayfarer

wayfarer

I'm trying to get the steering wheel off my '53 so I can do some work to the turn signals and restore the wheel, but I can't get it off. Is there some kind of a keeper or something I'm missing. I'm using a steering wheel puller like I have every other time I've pulled a wheel, but it just gets to the point were I can't turn the threaded center piece anymore, even with leverage. The wheel doesn't budge. Am I missing something or is the damn thing just stuck on there? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. never had this problem myself, normally i just replace the whole damn column, but i'm gonna pull the wheel on my 49 so i'll probly have the same friggin' problem lol

3. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Nut Off? pull bolts all the way in? Are you sure you using the right center bolt? Should pop off with no trouble...beyond that, nut off and soak it in some pb blaster in case it's a lil rust welded together.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Mine came off with little effort, but it obviously wasn't the first time when I found (or rather didn't find) most of the turn signal mechanism. I saw no evidence of a keeper, just a nut.

and Tiny, the columns on these is part of the steering box, not real easy to just replace. Much easier to wire than you could imagine, though.

5. wayfarer

wayfarer

The nut's off and the bolts are all the way in, I think the splines might be a little screwed up and that's what's holding it in. I'll soak it and try again. 53sled, do you have some kind of wiring diagram for the column? I still need to hook mine up to the new harness, but all the wires in my column are white and the only schematic I've been able to get lists colors for the wires.

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

after I got it all done I noticed the white stuff comes off to reveal... colored wires. :D
    I used an old post by squirrel (try searching for 6 wire turn signal, if I find it I'll link it) and it was actually real easy.
    edit:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168871&highlight=orange+blue