Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome..where in Calif?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Snegrah, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Fellas:
    I just had a quote on rechroming my grill from a 51 Chev. pass. car. $775.00 :eek: :eek: :eek: . Maybe that's the going rate but I wasn't aware of it. My question is, when I was at the Pleasanton last month I saw a few chrome guys that had complete 51 grills. Anyone know of who they were? I wasn't paying attention cuz I thought I could get my grill done for $100.00...ok $250.00. :eek:

Bumper Boyz need not apply.

Thanks.
    Tom

2. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

When I priced re-chroming the grill for my 52 I ended up painting it.

California = strict emissions/regulations as far as chrome goes from what I was told.

I got my bumpers from a shop in LA...but I think they wanted 500 to re-chrome my grill.

oooh...you are in pacifica? I used to live there on top of the hill by a liquir store. At the bottom of that huge ass hill was the ocean and a fish and chips place. neat town...foggy but cool.

3. Lotus:
    Ocean and Fish & Chips joint still there...so is the coolness.
    Tom

4. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

Could have been Best Chrome (San Martin) at Pleasanton.

Try Sherm's Plating in Sacramento or Valley Plating in Santa Clara for rechroming.

Good luck!

5. stay away from san joaquin chrome plating in lodi,the will destroy your parts

6. studhud

studhud

Specialized metal finishing in Atwater Ca Ask for Ramone They do great chrome and stainless takes awhile bur worth it. LTR Dave

7. Yep, Best's was one of them! Thanks And I 'll call the others as well.

EL MERCURY 51 - Thanks for the heads up.

8. I've seen the same guys out at Turlock...they'll cut you a deal if you give 'em your old grille as a core. I can't attest to the quality of their stuff, but it looked good and at least wasn't the Bumper Boyz...

I bought a one-piece bumper from 'em that someone had traded in as a core for $125...really good condition and still is after 3 years.

Bryan

9. Keep hearing about the Bumper Boyz, what's up with them? Just asking.

10. Do a search. It's actually entertaining. I appreciate the heads up on questionable buisnesses.

11. Stay away from Best Chrome, they were fucking miserable to deal with and butchered some trim on my '38 that was hard to replace.

12. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

13. OLLIN

OLLIN

I went to this place in Inglewood CA. They did a bunch of stuff for my triumph. Kind of expensive but they did a good job. I think the guys name is Tony. A lot of the lowrider clubs go to this place.
    Supreme Plating Co
    [SIZE=-1]maps.google.com
    330 E Beach Ave
    Inglewood, CA 90302
    <NOBR>(310) 671-3640</NOBR>
    [/SIZE]

14. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

15. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

Search the HAMB. There's a list of like a hundred of them on here somewhere.

16. metwiz

metwiz
    from Salinas CA

There is only 1 place in CA as far as I'm concerned, Sherms in Sac. The thing to think about with chrome is cost vs value.

17. studhud

studhud

Yep Let us know how much they quote you? I'm curious. I know that 296 V8 on here was quoted $2500 to chrome his 35 ford grill that was straight, not rusty and had only a small ding. Seems way to pricey to me? I cant wait to here how much for your 51 grill I bet it isnt going to be cheap. I do know they do 1st class plating it looks reall sweet I've seen it and its beautiful I think the guy I use is as good and not as pricey Just my 2cents LTR Dave

18. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I got a bunch of stuff chromed at a place called SUPIRIOR PLATING
    in Pomona and there prices are good and the work is fantastic!!

I don't have the number tho..

evel

19. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

I think it the place on East End between First and Holt. Pass by it now and then while working at the Tiki Drive In.

20. duecevw

duecevw
    from oc calif

We use south bay plateing in santa ana for are work stuff . Very good work and a good price,they have never let us down...

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sherm's quality is amazing; flawless. But my shoebox grille was over $1000, so your Chev would probably be in the same ballpark.

22. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

I've had really top-notch chrome done by Vernes Chrome Plating in Gardena, CA. They even straightened a bumper of mine that looked like it had been in a severe collision, then beat back into shape with a sledge hammer. They're not cheap, but their work is good and they're one of the few places I know locally that can do a killer job on pot metal.
    http://www.verneschromeplating.com/

23. thebestchrome

thebestchrome

hey there my names ricardo delatorre i am the owner of the best chrome in san martin ca... i see this conversation took place a few years ago but either way i would love talk this out, i dont remember butchering anyones chrome/polish trims. if you were unhappy with our work we could of worked it out. i take great pride in my work and always want my customers to come back.

here is my email and office number please let me know about your experience asap.

[email protected]

office hours are 9-5pm M-F and 9-2pm saturdays

(408) 686-1104

24. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

~'00 I had my '54 210 bumpers and bumper guards rechromed at East Bay Bumper on Davis street in San Leandro, near the dumps. IIRC $75/guard, and $250 for each bumper. The chrome is great and the turnaround was fast ~week. One of the guards was hammered, dings and the crown was flattened, can't tell by looking at it now. I *think* the actual chrome shop is in San Jose, they were referred to me by a Harley Davidson rider who is part of a 'club';)

25. I know people in this area that send their chrome work to Sherm's. 2,000 miles one way. Will not use anyone else.

26. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

Walkers chrome in Shasta Lake, Harold used to be in the Bay Area, he relocated because of EPA crap I believe. I drive there (3 hours)., worth it., Good guy, quality work. Last stuff I took he was 6-8 weeks out, hellava polisher as well. Good luck whereever you go. Gary

27. Torkita 48

Torkita 48

Looking for platers in my area to chrome some pedal car and pedal plane parts for my son. I'm in Antioch Ca. I heard from friends Best Chrome is who they use. I might just take the 1 1/2 drive to visit them.

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I shopped some pot metal parts for my '56 around to multiple LA platers. Verne's wanted $3000+ to plate six parts; I got them done for about $1200 at Artistic Silver Plating in Long Beach. Not as perfect as Sherm's, but very nice for the price. I'd go back to Artistic for routine work, and use Sherm's for the stuff I really cared about.

Verne's -- I know his work is very nice, but seriously overpriced IMO.

29. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

check with Ogden chrome in UT, they pay for shipping and did a great job on my bumpers

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

back up to original post -expecting to get a grill plated for $100-250??? where ya been-not Sherm's price for sure-as suggested, do a long search here-you are not the first looking for a chrome deal. South of the Border is where many of the swap meet bumper guys get their stuff done. but, you need a good connection to trust that route. just like getting upholstery done down there.
    keep your eyes open in the parts for sale section here. also, post a wanted ad too. stuff sometimes shows up on sites like craigslist, or at swap meets. but, don't hold your breath.