Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don't Call Them Rat Rods:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the-rodster

the-rodster

2. synthsis

synthsis

wow, even for the elderly that is some HUGE font size.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

From this months "Hotrod and Restoration", in their own words, "the voice of the hot rod, restoration and performance marketplace.

Notice the quotes from Kirk.

Long, but a nice read.

Rich

4. Yawn.............

JOE:cool:

5. i dont particularly like the term myself, but unfortunately u hear it over and over from people who dont know much about the scene or hasnt built a rod. im sick of hearing it and wish it would just go away, people come into my home garage/shop asking me what year my "rat rod" is and i usually start by saying it's not a rat rod, normally a good punch in the kidneys solves it right quick lol

6. No shit, I had to go out in the backyard and look through the window to read it.

7. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

This is FUNNY!!! I tell ya you guys crack me up!

8. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Too bad we're the only guys going to read it. It would be nice to edumicate the gen pop.

9. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Worthless article...

If you spend your time worrying about what some ignorant fuck says about your car, you aren't having enough fun rot rodding and should take up needle-point...

10. Piss on the general population. Too many of them migrating to rodding and ruining it. That's right, I said it. :eek:

I liked being the guy that dug bias plies and flatheads back in 1987... Nowadays you can't swing a dead cat without getting it all covered in pomade. There are too many jokers chasing 'the lifestyle' without a real appreciation for traditional rods, not the rolling scrapyards some call rods.

We've all seen the 'cartoon rods' running around looking to shock for shock value sake. Some of these rolling nightmares make me shake my head like John Q. Public in 1954 and leave me muttering to myself about those "damned hot rodders". What are some of these guys thinking? There's a fine line between hot rod and caricature and the general public doesn't know where it lies. Hell, some of us don't know where it lies.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match about this with anyone, what I've said is my opinion and we all know what those are akin to. (*) ;) The general publics perception of rodding is based upon that bearded guy's TV show and the "rat-rod" image. These are not the best examples of the rodding I know and love or the people that make rodding what it truly is. Dragging the general public into it will just make things worse.

The general public doesn't get the fine nuances of rodding nor do they want to. If they really wanted to learn they'd become rodders, not wannabes. This isn't to say that some of our pompadored & perfectly cuffed bretheren aren't true rodders, but there are a lot of hangers-on it seems. It's always been that way.

One should be a rodder because it's in your DNA and vibrating from your very soul - not because it's "the thing to do".

11. My eyes are burning!!!!!:p :eek:

12. Low

Low

here we go again.

13. Yea yea.
    Hell if the show fits and all that crap.
    Why would anyone care call it miss priss or call it donk its still a rod if it is and its still not if its not.

14. slammed

slammed

Rat Rod's Rule! Now 'bout them TOYOTA'S taking over the planet........

15. luckydevil

luckydevil

can anyone resize this so I can read it without getting dizzy?

16. Ratty

Ratty

"It started almost ten years ago ..."

Only in his world , the Low Flyers were doing it in the UK in the early 80's . Do hate a poorly researched article .

17. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

this is the first time i ever heard of the word rat rod ..... where have i been.

18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...can I call my car a Traditional Rat Rod?...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. 47studes

47studes

Viva Rat Rods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Screw the general population. Most of them will never understand why we build these cars anyway. Pisses me off everytime someone asks me "when are you gonna finish your car?" or "paint my car" or "get some wheels" or "when you gonna put in a v-8?" I tell em it's MY car, that they should go out and buy their own car and fill it with all the billet they want.

21. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Are you kidding? I think you're on the wrong board, try Ol Skool Rodz. Might be more your speed.

22. JamesG

JamesG

We need a new feature on here that when ever the word ratrod or any form of it is used on here, you recieve a horrible virus that melts your computer.

23. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Good idea, 'cept it needs to be able to differentiate between if someone is promoting the idea or shitcanning it.

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahahaha...thanks Mike, I have a new sig!!!

25. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

Got bandwidth?

Tucker

26. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Pretty funny, actually. Most of these guys think we build cars like this because they're cheap and that's all we can afford. They should check some prices on ebay and at the swap meets these days. '32 grille shell sold for $1800+ last week and lots of other parts are just as rediculous. Not sure about anyone else, but I build cars like this becuase that's the way I like them. Billet parts, shiny clear coat paint in modern colors, digital gauges, etc. all make me extremely ill. Doesn't matter if it's a '32 Ford or a '68 Dart. Money doesn't have anything to do with it.

27. motomech

motomech

im restoring my rat rod to its former rat rod glory!

28. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Can't read it...and I think they should call them rot rads. Poor thangs.

29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I get a little annoyed by a twenty something that is convinced that he knows how we built them in the '50's. If you belonged to a club, there was a safety check or tech inspection at the drag strip. Some, not all, of the retro, traditional, cartoon cars, you name it, would have never passed muster with most drag strips/car clubs.

I appreciate the imagination and fabrication skills that go into some of these rat rods, but they're no where like the ones built 50+ years ago. That's not all bad, by the way.

30. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Define me..........Define me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.