Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spindles - what can and can't be modified.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by maddog, Mar 27, 2007.

1. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Being reasonable new to building hotrods, but not new to fabrication, I am curious what you seasoned builders think can and cant be done to spindles and have them remain safe to use.

Love to see some pictures as well.

Thanks

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You can machine the stub axle to accept different hubs and bearings.
    You can remove the steering arms, drop the steering arms or weld on new steering arms.
    You can rebore the kingpin bosses to mount on an axle with larger kingpins, within reason, you can bush the kingpin bosses to mount on an axle with smaller kingpins.
    You can machine the bosses to accept a larger axle, within reason.
    You can even cut off the stub axle, bore the spindle and insert a new stub axle, pressed in or welded depending on your method of assembly.

3. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Well that makes sense to me. There is a lot of talk of safety, and a lot of guys that would only recomend this "kit" or that "kit", but somebody makes that kit, so why cant I do it myself?

My specific interest is welding different arms on some spindles I have. Also fitting later spindles to an older dropped axle.

Would you have any pictures of some of these modifications? Like to see how others approach this.

4. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

most things can be done, but with steering, always make sure you over engineer everything.
    i like the 'belt and braces' approach- have something to back you up in case one bit fails. hard to do with steering though.

i do not like welded steering components. if it can be fixed mechanically i.e. bolted/pinned, i always do that instead. you never know how strong that weld is til it breaks!!