Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paso? Why not move the Party?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry O, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Terry O

Terry O

Their closing the Drive-in? Maybe it's time to just move the party? It's just a matter of time before this show gets shut down anyway, just like the drive-in. Money rules and eventually the wealthy residents will over shadow the vote of the few businesses that profit once a year from us. Without the drive-in, Paso is rich in tradition but what else? I wonder if there isn't a little town that wouldn't welcome the infusion of cash that this show brings, a town with atmosphere like the drive-in gave Paso. Ryan's Revolution last year up in Petaluma set in an old park from the '40's was very cool especially with the old bandstand and old oak trees. I've never been much for doing business with someone who acts like their doing me a favor by taking my money. Just a thought..........

2. smokindave

smokindave

amen to that.

3. Interesting this topic came up, my wife and I were just talking about this. I have always loved Paso Robles. I went there as a kid growing up in SoCal and later for the car show. First one I went to was in 1997 and then 2 more times after that. It is a great show, a great town, but finding a hotel room after 2000 was next to impossible, always pissed me off that Paso Robles Inn never took new reservations and obviously started to become more crowded. the closing of the A&W saddens me. It was one of the best highlights on Friday night......anyways the problem I see is if the show moves, where does it go after such a long history and would it really be any better by moving?

4. that... and good ol' burger is gone too. its very depressing

5. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

LOL I know I'm not one of those rich guys. Good ol Burgers lives on in it's new store at the same location and they added a Pizza Parlor and yes a Starbucks in the same complex. The burgers are as good as ever.

The old A&W lot has finally been totally leveled. Nothing has been happening at the site.

The bowling alley had a small fire last night. Something out back, no big deal as far as I could tell. But I'm not sure I can speak the language to go to the bowl anyway. ;)

The town is slowly but steadily being rebuilt from the earthquake. The deadline for retrofitting is coming soon. But it's coming around.

A big note: there a bunch of new hotels just finished or still being built. I'm guessing that so many rooms are being built that they may have exceeded the future demands. Which might help out on the prices when all these new rooms are finished and they can't keep them filled.

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Im not sure that Paso is "going to be shut down anyway", but the town does get over on all of us that go...but we keep going. Hell, I had to prepay my hotel bill last week and it's over $600 for the weekend. I'm at the Holiday Inn, not the Ritz. It's fucked, but it is my only real vacation each year, and I get to see my friends and just hang out, so I save up and pay it.

If there was something else that weekend I would continue to go to Paso to support Penny and WCK. They work their asses off and don't see any of the pillaged profits from the town. If they moved, I'd follow. Fuck the city of Paso Robles' businesses and their price-gouging ways. I have no loyalty to those greedy assholes. In fact, the Holiday Inn prices are going up an additional $100 per night for 2008 to $289 a night, as per the letter they sent me. JESUS CHRIST! I've stayed in 4-star hotels in London, Paris and New York that were less expensive.

Would it happen in the next town over if Penny and WCK moved? Maybe, but it's not that way for Antioch. In fact, some hotels give a discount when you mention Billetproof.

2007 will be my 13th year and definitely not my last.

7. If the rooms got easier, it could indicate the show's dying. Also, moving it may kill it too. It was still called A&W after the name changed to 21st St Drive-In, but i don't think it'd be "Paso" anywhere else. I'm a newbie for Paso, having started in 2001, but it's my favorite weekend of the year and i do a lot of stuff.

8. OLLIN

OLLIN

that's why I show up friday night at 8pm.....party 'til 3 am, sleep in the car until 8 am, walk around and look at the cars until 4 pm on saturday and arrive home before 8pm. Done that the last 3 or 4 years. Usually if we need to shower we find some friends with a room and bring beers or something..
    Ive stayed in SLO previous years, and it sucks. its not worth the 30 minute drive each way, especially if you've been drinking.

9. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

There'll be another drive-in of some sort, lets face it Paso wouldn't be Paso without Paso..you get me?!
    The City of Paso Robles makes more in money in that weekend than any other, they would be fools to want it gone. But then again there are many that do some pretty stupid things to piss off the locals, which sorta ruins it for others. There's a story every year...hey member when.....:rolleyes:

10. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

I didn't realize you guys were getting raped that bad. With the Paso Inn owner I would expect that. Hey Kirk I've got a spare room!

There's a new LaQuinta with about mabe 100 room. Finished

The Holiday Inn Express added a bunch of rooms. Finished

Next to the Hampton Suites there is about (guessing) a 150 to 200 Room Hotel which is 80 to 90% completed. Might be completed by May.

And on the south end of Spring Street there's a mamoth hotel with another 150 to 200 rooms being built. 60-70% complete. Won't be done this show.

It's going to help some this show, but should improve the furture outlook on rooms and rates.

11. gage78

gage78

I know I'm a newbie and believe me I'd rather be talking about my plans for my 32 pickup, but I did have to point a few things out here, First off the lack of new reservations at the Paso Robles Inn is largely due to the fact, that WCK actually reserves the majority of the rooms there through a preexisting contract they have with the INN. Also the room rates at the Inn are the same every weekend, they have a weeknight rate and a weekend rate they don't jack the price up just because of an event. I checked last night as I sat at the front desk there. The few remaining rooms are taken by the people lucky enough to call at the first of the year in this case jan 07.

Sorry guys just had to set it straight, I work at the Paso Inn, and the memorial day car show was one of the major reasons I stayed here in paso when I got out of the army a little over a year ago.

Sorry I can't get you a room at the Paso Inn but if anyone needs some help finding a room let me know and I'll check around for ya

12. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

Ill be sleeping in the back of my Volkswagen golf lol...bit cramped though...:p

13. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

I think one reason the location works so well is that its a drive for everyone. Nor-Cal and So-Cal can see each others cars. Sort of a meeting place for us. I really don't see friends for LA Area I have met any other time besides then.

14. atomickustom

atomickustom

My wife and I managed to hit Paso Robles the year before the earthquake, and the whole time we were there we could not understand the apparent attitude of the town toward the show - they acted like it wasn't going on, and seemed to treat it like a major inconvenience. My wife (who'd never been to a big show before) basically kept asking me "why aren't they making a big deal out of this?" I just kept saying I don't know. We both got the feeling that the show was viewed more of a nuisance than a spectacular event pulling people from all over the country to their town for a weekend.

15. People come from all over the world for Paso, I know at least 10 people making the trip from England this year again...

Paso's my favorite weekend of the year (followed by Billetproof) and it really pisses me off the way the town treats folks who make the trek each year.

16. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Probably the reason locals don't dig the show is that it's not the only car show the town hosts. It seems like there is an event of some kind most every weekend. It would get a little old pretty quick.
    NOT GONNA' STOP ME FROM GOING THOUGH!!:D
    Sorry, but the Lonestar Roundup will NEVER be Paso! See y'all in May. -stick

17. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

Didn't mean to step on your toes gage78.

But the owner of the Paso Inn has alway seemed to be the greedy bastard from my view point. But hey I've never had the need to stay there. But I'm sure if it wan't for him the stink hole at the library might have been plugged and no longer an issue. But he wants the hot water shipped over to his place at the cities expense and now it seems to be a stalemate. Stale as in stink!

18. Fenderskirt

Fenderskirt

Don't talk about moving the show - I haven't made it there yet! I'm slowing knocking things off my list (done VLV, Lonestar, Hotrodarama, Speed week) Next was either going to be Paso or the Reunion. It ain't easy getting to these things from so far away :eek:)

19. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Don't worry. Paso aint going anywhere.
    At least not for awhile.
    This shit comes up every year about this time.

Craig

20. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

I say this every year this comes up, my friends and I haven't stayed there since the late 90's....we just drive up and down the coast Friday and saturday...it's kind of our lil tradition...we never show so we have fun driving....plus gas is actually cheaper than rooms....about an hour and half for us....see you all there...hopefully with my four wheeled pile of rust or even without.

21. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

There not going to be shutting down Paso, its the only thing that damn city has!! All the businesses make a hell of alot of $ and that will continue to motivate that show!! What all of us in So. Cal. need to do is start totally supporting shows like cruzing for a boozin and make one of them ito the SoCal Paso!!!

22. Is there any place to park a camping trailer near the show?

23. Cruiser

Cruiser

:confused: There are just too many cry babies singing the blues about Paso. It's a great show and will continue to be in Paso. If its a great show a long drive is worth it. Most people build their cars to drive, stay were you can and drive. I've always been treated very well in Paso and will continue to support the show and the West Coast Kustoms. Move the show out of Paso, what a brain fart of an idea.
    "Paso and the West Coast Kustoms Forever"

Cruiser 49:cool:

24. gage78

gage78

It's cool no one's stepping on any toes, Tom Martin did pass away though in april of 05 before the earthquake opened up the stink hole, The Inn actual gets it's mineral or sulfur water from an artesian well located in the back area of the Inn grounds. I'll tell ya what though tomorrow when I go to work I'll get the exact date that new reservations are taken for next years show and I'll let you know. I can tell you right now that the rates vary from $175 up to $330 depending on the type of room you get. Thats the same rate you would pay this weekend or memorial day, I do like the fact that we don't increase our rates just because of an event. even though we should for the damn wine festival.

On to other things though anyone wanna help me find a frame for a 32 pickup

25. studhud

studhud

I used to stay at a dive motel till they overbooked and I lost my rooms:mad: Then my chicky figured if I got to go the show she wanted to stay at a bed and breakfast. I though oh shit thats going to cost$$$$$ But it isnt bad we share a place like a little inlaw unit with two queen beds and a pool its $150 a night split by 4 people with some food and drinks included its actually cheaper than I was paying at motel 6. Its also private and quiet so I can get my beauty sleep. If ya shop around there are some deals still left I know other people who rent vacation homes for the show and thats cheaper too The hotels are a ripoff. I'll go to paso as long as there is a paso:D LTR Dave

26. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

I love Paso & the show & I dont think they are going to be seperating anytime soon. I also think WCC does a great job and has every year that I have been there and if and when they decide to move it, I'll be there.

I had no idea that the room rates were that steep... I am lucky that I have a pal there that lets me park my ass on his floor or in a tent in his backyard so I can spend all that money on food & drink

there is a camp ground, but it's as full as the hotels are. & they have a strict no overnight camping in lots or on the street, but I have parked my RV in front of my buddy's house without an issue in the past

27. Brad B

Brad B
    from Nor Cal

Paso, is the best show of the year for the west coast. People each year bitch. The room thing does suck, but it is supply and demand. They have built some new hotels and there are more rooms now.

I just have a hard time with folks who bitch, it happens every year at this time. Same goes for Billetproof, the show comes up and some folks start to bitch.

Just go to the show if you can and enjoy it. WCK works there butts off.
    Now go and get the cars ready.

28. Jeff J

Jeff J

It's better show now than it was back in the 80's at the park out in the hot sun with hardly any shade ! And the rooms where just as expensive and as hard to get then as they are now! Rich & Penny worked hard to keep it a good show! Let's give them the support cause Penny sure needs it! And the crew that puts this on.WKC:cool:

29. williesplace

williesplace
    BANNED
    from campbell

PASO will always be Paso,when it come to the show.They go together like 6 carbs on a Hemi or Supremes with white walls or Flake on kustoms,its just right,hope it never changes.Besides Billet Proof this the only other show I look forward in going to..........Its just like the high gas prices,everybody complains about it but still buys it.The hotel rooms are high but we still reserve them.If it was that easy and cheap it would be to boring...............Paso Baby Forever!!!

30. FONZI

FONZI

Seems like this comes up every year. I don't think may people realy know (maybee Kirk does) what it takes to put on a show like Paso. It is WORK. Paso is by far the best show every year. For me (and many others), it is tradition. We wouldn't be on this board if we didn't dig tradition. Changing the venue in my opinion would kill the tradition. For me the fun is the drive with all my pals. Then, the adventure of finding a place to sleep (or fall down). I have never had a hotel room in all of the years that I have went. I have either camped or bunked with like minded folk who had room. Hopefully, I will never have to stay in a hotel.

FONZI