Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody porcelain coat headers anymore ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NICKEYCHEVY60, Mar 24, 2007.

1. I want to re-do my headers with porcelain as they were done in the 60's.Anybody do them?Would prefer Chicago area.

Attached Files:

2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

There is a place in Kansas City, but it will not be cheap. Just powder coat them.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

3. guiseart

guiseart

...ceramic? Never heard of porcelain-coated exhaust, but then again I'm pretty stupid.

4. just like on a a bathtub

5. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Afraid Porcelain coating is now only being used in bath and kitchen appliances.
    The introduction of Ceramic coatings - far superior - for automotive exhaust headers is the best.

Most powder coating outfits can apply it, the process is similar.

It's available in a number of colors, and stands up for a long time.

6. I have another set. I will try the powder coat.These are just too cool and the coating is VERY thick.Just trying to keep this car as it was originally done.

Attached Files:

7. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

That's cool! I've never seen that before, I'll have to remember that for possible future use.

Here's a couple of web pages that should help you out a little.

porcelain enamelers listed by state.
    http://www.porcelainenamel.com/sourcmap.htm

I spoke to these people a few years ago about having a barber pole re-enameled. I wound up selling it unrestored but they were very helpful and were willing to do it. Might be worth giving them call.

http://www.customceramic.com/

8. Great! Thank you!

9. jonski und29

jonski und29

Did you ever find out any history on the car?

10. Just for information as I recall it only worked well on cast exhaust. Steel tube headers either took to much vibration or got too hot or both, but I don't remember it staying well on tube headers.

Anyway just for information.

11. Yes.I was able to find the original owner.He didn't think the car existed anymore.He has been very helpful providing pictures and information.Supposedly there was a TV in the car,now I have to find one. The car did shows in the midwest during the 60's.He sold it in '69 to a Ford dealership.It racked up between 50-60 trophies,(he sold them in a garage sale:( )was in the 1963 Hot Rod Custom Car Yearbook No.1 page 219 in it's second transformation when it was know as Golddigger.When it was customized again it was painted orange and called Sundown.It was stored in a trailer since 1983 and now I am in the process of rebuilding it.I will be doing an update soon and will post more pictures.

12. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Jaguar used to porcelain coat their exhaust manifolds. They were cast iron.
    Over time the porcelain would start to show tiny cracks, especially if you drove through rain puddles. The sudden cooling was hard on them.

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I had my Stovebolt Eng. cast iron headers coated with porcelain. Black. I wanted it to have a bit of a "classic" look to the engine. Looks great, will last forever, and CHEAPER than jet coating...which, so far, I haven't seen last extremely long on any of the cars I've worked on!
    $150 for the 2 manifolds.

14. indyjps

indyjps

Ive refinished antique bath tubs with a spray epoxy. dont know if it will stand up to the heat but it worked great for tubs. I always used harbor freight spray guns after I ruined a good one not being able to clean it out well enough. pm me if youre interested it will take some time to find the info for you.

15. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

So who dunnit for ya??? There was a guy in Tulsa I think back in the 70's who did headers and such that isn't around anymore and I would like to get some done too.
    I learned the hard way you don't touch porcelined headers while hot.They will remove hide.LOL

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

There were only 2 places I could find that did it, back when I had mine done. I checked in Hemmmings, and there are 2, but one is new, not one of the ones I checked out. I don't remember which of the 2 I chose, but both were well established, and reputable.

Prairie Auto Porcelain
    Faribault MN
    507-334-9309

The new additon is Caps Coatings
    877-647-2628
    no adress listed

17. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Thanx,I'll have to look into it.
    I really dig white tubes.

18. burger

burger

Can headers be porcelin coated or just manifolds? Is there some issue with the wall thickness or C.I. vs. steel?

Thanks,
    Ed

19. Slate

Slate

Cords had their exhaust manifolds covered with porcelain. Someone is still doing it, as these cars are restored/maintained. Those Hemming's references are probably your best bets.