Register now to get rid of these ads!

21 st. drive in in paso closed down

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnnyP., Sep 3, 2006.

1. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Why not take over the super market parking across the street. They have a bbq going the same time as the cruise and you don't have to walk far for beer! -stick

2. Is the "Jack in the Box" inside the cruise route?

3. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

The drive down to Paso with my friends and hanging out at A&W/ 21St. was by far my favorite part of the weekend.....This will be my tenth year in Paso, If the room rates continue to rise and the places we've enjoyed hanging out continue to dissapear this could be my last year....... sad to say.....

4. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

It is getting kind of restricted, for the last two years they will not let you park at the Shell station anymore, now the drive-in is gone, where else you gonna go, its not like you can just find a parking spot anywhere you want, many more goldchainers are moving in that area and before you know it, that show will be moved somewhere else then disappear entirely...I hope I'm wrong but...it's not looking that promising:confused:

5. Yup, the Shell station thing was the first slap in the face for us.

6. R.I.P. A&W. I happened to mention to the Shell station owner what I thought about his decision last year.
    [​IMG]

7. What he say? (you have the BEST pics)

8. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

The fairgrounds would be the answer if we could get all the bicycles out! The fairgrounds would take a ton more cars all the vendors and there is food right across the street plus that big parking lot across the other street.
    I'd also bet the city makes tons more money with the car people then they do with those bicycles. We could hang out over by K-Mart where there is the fast food stores near.
    Now all I need to do is pass this onto Penny!!!

9. He said the parked cars were affecting his business, I told him he had lines out the door all weekend with people spending money in there so it didn't seem to be hurting business. I think he is a new owner, I think I hate him. Parking at the Shell station, another great American tradition gone forever.

10. A lot will be lost to move away from the cruise area i think. For that matter, we can hang out at a McDonalds in our own individual town. You need the ambiance of being in the middle of the activities

11. R.I.P. Shell station...........
    [​IMG]

12. Shit, the parked cars WAS his business. From what i've been told, there's NOT a lot of profit in gasoline for the station owner after the oil companies hump them. But beer, cigs, ice, magazines, etc=money. And you are right. A non-stop flood of people in and out with their arms full ALL weekend!

13. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

jack in the box is still there. i dont really see too many cars hanging out there though. and the grocery store is being remodeled too, so that parking lot is all fenced in too. and the 21st paking lot is now removed too. just dirt now. i had a buddy that work at pioneer gas station (shell) and he said that not letting people park there was the worst decision he couldve made. a lot of the locals are trying to get rid of this carshow. they want the nice cars back and all the "rat rods" to leave. along with all the trash people leave around and all of the drinking in public. personally i think the show has gotten a little out of hand since our life style have become "popular". hate to say it though. maybe 21st getting torn down might have been a good thing...

man i think this flu thing is getting to me, im going back to bed.

14. time to find a po-dunk town like paso use to be and move....the drive in and shell were the best part of the weekend...Colinga ????

15. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Nah, you got a point. I've been going to Paso since the early '90's, it has changed dramatically since then, the crowd, the age, and attitude. Your town makes good money but, I would imagine the locals cringe when May comes around(local biz probably 'no'). There has been recent rumors of the shows future, I don't think I would listen to all of them but, I'd have to say were going to see some changes soon. But still, I have to say there is no other show better, It is known world wide, and if there's a kustom car heaven, it's in Paso.

16. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

...only on memorial weekend. last year i saw a lot of locals that would give me attitudes all the rest of the years and even got yelled at at a stop light "your about 50 years too late". then i see the same people all "greased up" for the car show. reading OSR and such. think ive seen more local old cars in the past month than ive seen the whole time ive lived here. i actually never realized how big this show was until i went to wyoming for school everybody asked if i ever made it to the car show. i would tell them i still have rolls of film from the past 5 years still un developed. now everybody not even into the "kustom"s know about it.

17. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Not so sure about Jack in the Box. Last year my brother and I were kicked out of the drive through lane beacause they said we were being too loud. They refused to serve us and threatend to call the cops if we didn't get out of line. We weere just BS'ing with ech other. Never even said a word to anybody at the window. I didn't get the feeling that they liked the "car people" too much.

18. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

No, I know its only that weekend but, its a place where all kustoms go to be seen. It's things like OSR that are ruining that event. Sorry OSR fans...but come on, its the gayest mag our there. If I see another multese cross or tattooed hag, I'm going to puke.

19. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Well, I've let this thread go on long enough to not keep my mouth shut anymore.
    Moving Paso out of Paso has been talked about a hundred times.
    I can't say that it'll never happen, but the town is a big part of the show. The park is just too much fun. Now that the A&W is gone, the town might not be as big a part of the show as it once was.
    Every year, the town squeezes us for a little more money. I don't know how long Penny will put up with it. Was about an additional 5 Grand this year.
    The cops n locals don't like the rat rodders. They have made that clear for several years.
    Here are some interesting view points.
    Rat Rods only make up about 20% of the paid attendance for the show.
    They make up about 33% of the cars running around Paso.
    They also make up about 75% of the drunken, loud, I'm a bad ass, Rebel Without A Clue attitude, that is giving the town a bad taste for the show. Because of that, the town hates anything in primer.
    Paso wouldn't be Paso without Rat Rod's either, but they don't contribute that much to the club, and they are making things worse than they were without em.
    That said, I doubt Penny would ever create a rule about how finished a car is to be in the show. So Rat Rods will stay.
    I just wish we could get some of them to behave a little more like adults, and less like drunken teen-agers.
    And before you accuse me of hating Rat Rods, forget it.
    I own one.
    Drive it daily.
    But my own fucking club asked me not to put a plaque on it, due to the stigma that Rat Rodders have created.

20. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

perfectly stated. thanks.

21. "Rat Rods only make up about 20% of the paid attendance for the show.
    They make up about 33% of the cars running around Paso.
    They also make up about 75% of the drunken, loud, I'm a bad ass, Rebel Without A Clue attitude, that is giving the town a bad taste for the show. Because of that, the town hates anything in primer"

you nailed that one i seen alot of jackets at that show with no cars to go with them...I like the nor-cal meets so-cal half way aspect of the show...the kustoms rule...

22. studhud

studhud

This is year 12 for me ! Paso Has changed over the years the money and yuppie scum has moved in. The town has been way updated with new restuarants an business everywhere. The car show is one of about 4 events that makes that town serious cash! The drive in made more money the weekend of the car show than they did probably in a month of regular business. The merchants dont have a problem with us (they make cash) its the people that hate us taking over there town. What about parking around the park before the cruz and taking over that area? There is food bars ect all around the square. LTR Dave

23. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

i believe all that area is full of cars parked to see the cruise night. and i do belive that it it also blocked off.

24. gage78

gage78

word is that the scolari's that's replaced Ralphs is supposed to be open before may

25. gage78

gage78

word is the scolari's that's replaced Ralphs is supposed to be open very soon, should be done before memorial day rolls around

26. Paso just won't be the same for me. R.I.P. A&W!
    [​IMG]

27. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

All good things must come to an end...

[​IMG]

28. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

It doesn't look like Scolari's will be open by then which might be an opportunity. I'm guessing all major construction will be completed and this is just a pipe dream by someone who does not have enough time to comit to anything else. But maybe someone can contact the owners and make some kind of deal to use the parking lot on the night of the cruise. Right now it has a bunch of construction materials and equipment which should be gone by then.

Portapotties on one end and a Barbeque consession on the other end and the rest of the area for Hot Rod parking. Cars Limited to cruise entrants and anyother qualifing cars.

It's all a timing thing and if the store owners are willing to do something. Could become and annual thing for Scolari's. But it will take someone to approach the store owners.

Just a note, not everyone in this town is down on this car show, I'm willing to say the percentage is about as high as the same number of people that cause the problems in town that weekend. It's not high but gets noticed.

Just an idea.

29. HMMM, if only we knew someone who lived in Paso. If only we knew a HAMBer in Paso. If only we knew a HAMBer named CalifCarl who lived in Paso to execute this devious plot