Register now to get rid of these ads!

SCROUNGERS...club profile.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Cool post Kev. A neat profile of the group. Was lucky enough to see a lot of those cars in the flesh a few years back...hopefully again not too far away.

2. Here is how the T altered looked before the blower. It looked awesome with the streeet T as tow car! Thanks NZHRM.
    [​IMG]

3. Mal and Chris own the remains of this beautiful dragster that was imported from Canada into NZ in the early 70's and raced on gas by Robin Unkovich at the then new Champion Dragway south of Auckland. The tail and the Hemi are long gone and other stuff has been changed but a restoration is planned......one day.
    [​IMG]

4. Awesome Kev great shots thanx for sharin !!

BTW is Hadyn Mitchell in the Scroungers ? Does you have any shots of his Deuce 3W ?

Rat

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

6. Bloody great post Kev.

The scroungers have certainly scrounged up some great cars and parts.

Binga

7. SimonSez

SimonSez

Cool post - it's an impressive collection when you see it all together in one post !

Here's a more recent pic of the dragster from when we went to Mal's place on the North Shore club shed raid a few years ago.

Attached Files:

8. What a bunch of maniacs! Awesome photos. I must travel to N.Z. some day...

9. 55olds88

55olds88

Hayden is/was with the Detonators I'm not too sure if they still exist, but he is still around and his coupe is very cool in any company......
    Cool Post Kev, when you comming back down for a visit ??
    Still kicking myself for not giving you a call when we were last over Squeak gave me your # too.....
    Blowout's next weekend woo hoo !!!

10. RatBone

RatBone

Very cool Kevin! You still have all us guys in socal!

11. The Scroungers are the coolest club in NZ, in my opinion, because they are maybe the only club that has NO street rods in their lineup. The majority of clubs in NZ boast a mixture of trad rods, street rods, customs and muscle or pony cars. With a temperate climate, we are able to drive our rods and customs all year round. The downside is that we are fairly heavily regulated, all modified vehicles must undergo a certification process for safety, and all vehicles have to undergo a six-monthly fitness inspection. Also, gas is comparatively expensive here.
    Good on ya Kev for sharing the Scroungers with us, and for the fab pics!

12. 55olds88

55olds88

Hey Bassman, hows the ticker ? are you heading up for the Blowout ?

13. 55olds88

55olds88

With any luck some pics attd of Mikes Sled, 50 (from memory) Buick front guards and hood and a mid 60's Impala/Pontiac chassis and a whole lot of talent........ now if I could only lock him in my garage for a couple of weeks !!!

Attached Files:

14. Retrorod

Retrorod

Kev, that is the ultimate in "cool". The cars, the owners and everything that goes with it!

I'm amazed at times when discussing hot rods with people who are "automotively challenged", the majority think that hot rods and customs are only an American thing. A couple weeks ago on a Friday afternoon, the wife and I drove her roadster down to Bob's in Toluca Lake (Burbank) where we ran into a couple guys who were absolutely shocked to hear that some awesome hot rods exist all over the world! I guess these people would have never checked out the H.A.M.B.. It really is a small world when guys from NZ, Great Britain, Sweden and Norway plus many other countries have this much in common.

15. Kevin,A couple of those fellows look familiar. Were they not at Squeak's shop during the Reunion. I think Colin was there and I gave him a ride to the track. Neat stuff my friend. Thanks for sharing with the class. That roadster is tits by the way. The 32 should have been chopped though. Dale

16. Curbspeed....Yep, Colin and Chris were here for the Hot Rod Reunion. We also had some fun days checking out several shops and places of interest in So Cal. Here they are visiting with Bill Jenks who Chris worked with for several years in the 80's. Believe it or not these 2 guys, Chris and Colin, hold the world record for stuffing old car parts into and on top of a rental car and still being able to fit in and drive it!
    [​IMG]

17. Blue

Blue

Awesome post! I didn't realise the Scroungers are so small in numbers. Truely a rare breed.

18. A trip to The States doesn't include Disneyland and Universal studios for these guys. Here they are checking out the scenery at Mike Griffith's place..........
    [​IMG]

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow, that is my kind of place.

20. Madness.....

Great post and thanx for the heads up !!

Rat

21. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

The Scroungers Rule!!! Colin and Chris are really nice guys as well. I have so much respect for these guys building traditional cars, in places were it is not so easy to.
    Jimmy White

22. Awesome read and pics too!Thanks eh.
    [​IMG]
    Do you have any history on this car when it was in Canada?
    Looks like Wilf Tuckers old car from right here in Victoria BC......Shiny

23. brainfrz

brainfrz

What a great post. I hope this leads to more Clubs openning up the back door and letting in the common folks. Sure neet to see some of the olds shots and the new. Thanks so much for the post.

Jon

24. roadduster54

roadduster54

Kiwi Kev i would love to see more pics of Chris Piaggi's roadster if you dont mind. Great post!

25. Here you go, from Jammin Gears magazine.
    [​IMG]

26. roadduster54

roadduster54

wow thats cool! thanks!!

27. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Killer post Kev. :cool:
    As you can imagine all us wannabe hooligans down here are amping for The Hot Rod Blowout next weekend. :D

28. Split Bones

Split Bones

Great Post Kev ......the Scroungers are the perfect example of Less is More