Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for info on a Dugan 6 cyl (austrailian)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by REJ, Dec 7, 2006.

1. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I asked about this motor on the HA/GR forum and thought I would bring it over to the main board.
    A friend of mine has one in a Thames wagon and this is the baddest six I have ever seen. It is an all aluminum motor, needle bearings, styled after the 302 GMC motor. I was told that an Austrailian guy built this motor to compete with the Holden motor in roundy round racing. He has since passed on and all of the motors are now extinct.
    Supposedly around 500hp with carbs.
    My friend has a small block Chevy injection system that he modified to fit this motor, running on alcohol and it will go from idle to 12,000 rpms faster than any motor I have ever heard.
    I have goggled the name and have come up with nothing, any information would be appreciated. The name may be spelled wrong, and I have tried several different variations.
    Thanks, robert

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've heard of a Dugan cylinder head for 194-230-250 292 Chevy sixes, but never of a whole engine.

3. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Well, I have seen this motor and know of one more in Canada that a guy was drag racing in a Chevy Beretta. I believe he was turning 7.98 at 167mph in the quarter. He called the car Igor.

4. tlowe

tlowe

i've got one. they are not based on the 302 gmc. they are based on the 250-292 engines. the name was duggan, later was deppe. here are a couple pics. the head has port locations in different locations than a stock engine. they are quite powerful. tom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. rooman

rooman

Duggan heads are quite similar to those designed by Phil Irving for the Holden "red" motor which came in displacements from 149 to 202 cubic inches. That motor is similar in appearance to the 250-292 Chevy but quite a bit smaller and with some components in slightly different locations (distributor etc).
    Duggan also did a head for the 4 cylinder Chevy 11 motor which, again, is simply two thirds of the six cylinder. I think that these were later sold by Arias. If there is a version of the Duggan head for the Chevy six it is probably an outgrowth of that program.

Roo

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

A couple fo years ago took an Iliners International buddy of mine to the actual premesis "Duggan Balancing" in the Melbourne suburb of Coburg.

We spent 3 hours chatting to Frank Duggan's son Warren about his dad's exploits. We saw the SBC V8 replacement heads, and a top secret 292 engine prototype thay had stashed in the corner. Man what a day!!!!

No 292 head stuff, as it all got sold to "Sissels" ages ago.

Duggan also did the Al block, but as stated - its now Deppe, and the 4 cyl - Aries.

I wish I took my camera with me - My buddy took his, but I'm yet ro see the pics yet.

7. tlowe

tlowe

anyone got a idea how many Duggan blocks/ engines are out there? tom

8. I used to know a bloke who raced ski boats. He had a SBC with Duggan heads. Wild ride.

9. Taipan

Taipan

I have a duggan head. It is on a 250 chev 6cyl. I bought it out of a boat, it was used for competition speed skiing, dropped a valve so got it at the right price. It was replaced with a 350 hp crate motor and went around 10 mph slower.

Mine has shaft roller rocker set-up, apparently not very many like this. I have been told only 28 or so made here (in Aus) and stayed here, then patents etc sold/taken to the US and sold under a different name. I think sissle???

I have seen a picture before of the sissle? version. It is different to the Aussie version, but I can't really remember how.

The website for the Aussie version to suit holden 6 is www.jzedholden6.com.au then go to products. He told me that the manifolds are interchangeable.

One day, long term plan to build a belly tanker around mine.

Someone else in Adelaide has one in a holden torana, drag races it, talks 473hp.

Dan

10. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A prominent ex drag racer and speed shop owner had this Duggan headed engine for sale recently. Not sure if its sold or not.

Attached Files:

11. Split Bones

Split Bones

I remember seeing an artical on a US rear engined rail that was running the whole Duggan setup ....block.. head.. etc....I thought the motor was a US deal ...shows you how much i knew ...and could find out about them ...Im real keen on inline 6's...and have plans later on down the track for a Inline F.E.D...using a Valiant (Chrysler) 265 hemi....a killer engine .....and there are alloy heads avaiable for those as well ......round 450-500 Hp with the right induction.....the E49 Charger was at 302 hp of the showroom floor......but these Duggan engines are a whole different deal

12. BigBlock6

BigBlock6

What info do you need to know? JZED Holden 6 Performance 0419008006 now owns the Duggan cylinder head for the 202 and also owns the Chevy 6 and 4 Cyl blocks that we are bringing to the market with a new head for both engines that will make serious power.