Register now to get rid of these ads!

mopar distributor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xfLeEtwOOdx, Mar 8, 2007.

1. xfLeEtwOOdx

xfLeEtwOOdx

i am planning on installing a new distributor and coil from Mallory and need some help determining which one to get.
    the car is a 1967 plymouth fury II - 318 ci mostly stock - 2 bbl carb, dual exhaust. planning on upgrading to a 4 bbl carb.
    i have a hyfire IIIa already, but i am not sure if it is the right application for my car.
    any help is appreciated.

fLeEtwOOd

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Mallory has few different ones. Some will work with the Hyfire and others won't. Go to Summit online. There will be links to instructions/hookups for all the different models.

3. Mozes

Mozes

Mallory Has A Electronic Conversion That Replaces Your Points And Mounts Under Your Stock Cap, There Pretty Cheap Compared To A New Distributor And It Should Be Compatable With Your Hyfire. Easy To Install To.. Call Paw Or Summit, They Will Let You Know For Sure.

4. xfLeEtwOOdx

xfLeEtwOOdx

i can get a deal on new mallory parts, and would like to boost my ignition system. this is the reason behind my questions.
    from the little research i have done so far today, i am looking into getting:
    - new distributor
    - not sure about unilite or mbi
    - not sure about mechanical or vacuum advance
    - not sure which model for my specific application
    - new promaster coil
    - possibly the new 'e series' coil
    - not sure which model
    - determine if my 'hyfire IIIa' will work with the new distributor and coil
    - if it will not, i am willing to get a new hyfire
    - new plug wires
    - not sure which ones to get

thanks for the help

5. I don't see a need to spend big bucks on aftermarket ignition parts when stock Chrysler electronic ignition stuff works just fine. Using MoPar's electronic ignition conversion distributor and a Mopar Performance ignition box, that 440 never misfired and I've spun it up to 7200 RPM!

If I were you, I'd just scrounge the parts (distributor, ignition box, and wiring) off almost any '73 or later small block application - just avoid the "lean burn" junk. BB ignition box and wiring is the same, but the distributors won't interchange with SB. I thought some stock ignition boxes have a rev limiter in them ~5500 RPM.

In fact, I've also used MoPar electronic ignition parts to convert points-equipped Fords over to electronic as well...

6. I ALWAYS use spiral core wires - less resistance and yet they supress radio noise. Moroso Blue Max wires are what's on that 440 that I mentioned.

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I agree with 30dogeboy, why spend the money?. Clean up the engine, install the four barrell use the factory igntion with good parts ( maybe have the distributor curved for best performance) spend the spare dollars on a gear change ( the most hp per dollar) or a camshaft etc. A stock engine dont need more spark......:)

Oh well you DID ask ??:cool:

8. I totally agree, forget the Mallory stuff with your combo and stick with mother Mopar conversion. It's cheap, easy and bulletproof. Unilite is nothin but trouble, been there done that, and there's plenty of similar stories on Mopar dedicated boards.

Here's the instruction for hookup

9. Junkyard electronic distros are so dirt cheap and plentiful, and work great, I have no idea why anyone would bother with the aftermarket ones. While scavenging after the big Englishtown swap meet, I found a whole milk crate of them that were left behind. That's how plentiful they are.

10. xfLeEtwOOdx

xfLeEtwOOdx

i guess i am not coming across clear enough.
    i know a person that can hook me up with mallory parts [really cheap], it would cost me more money to go out and get ANY other parts.
    i am simply asking for some advise on which components to get from mallory.
    here is what i have figured would be the correct parts to get:

distributor | comp 9000 – 86 series – unilte [#8657901]
    coil | promaster e series [#30440]
    hyfire | i have a 'hyfire IIIa'
    plug wires | pro sidewinder [#935 – should fit my car] - It was recommended to me that I get ‘spiral core’ wires. I am flexible on the wires, but need them to fit the distributor I get.

any help to assure me that these are the correct parts, or other MALLORY recommendations is much appreciated.

thanks.

fLeEtwOOd