Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 shoebox accepting a 5.4 modular motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AWSOME 50, Mar 7, 2007.

1. AWSOME 50

AWSOME 50
    from buffalo ny

hi friends, i am getting ready to do a flathead V-8 to 5.4 modular lincoln blackwood motor 300 hp 355lbs torque,has anybody done the new modular motor engine swap yet that could give me pointers on what might or might not need to be modified,ive been told the pan might need to be changed, any info would be great. thanks. john

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Get ready to duck at all the flying incoming.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

5. Frank

Frank

This is a traditional board about traditional hot rods and customs approximately pre 64 (pre muscle car). That being said, not a lot of people will be very friendly about it, and really its not a forum intended to discuss a swap like this. Its been done, but I couldn't tell you who or where to find out the specifics. You might try www.hotrodders.com.

6. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

Be open minded if it puts one more shoebox on the road everyday for everyone to see its a great idea, beats a sbc.. You may want to try the mustang forum guys several of them have experience swaping these motors. If I remember right ford even made a harness to do a swap for the mod crate motors they were selling.. good luck

7. Ghostrdr

Ghostrdr
    from Missouri

I would bet Painless has something too. seems like a lot of WOW'ers are going that route because of the SBC backlash.

8. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

You need to get in touch with Hank at Hanksville Hotrods, tell him Dano sent ya. ;)

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Gonna need to get rid of that old crap. Not worth much........just send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly.

10. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

you sure you even want a 50 ford? wouldnt you rather have a shiny new continental with blown out air bags? save the early ford for someone with an intrest in building a correct 50.

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Your going to need to cut up the firewall quite a bit.

12. Primo

Primo

Hank at Hanksville Hotrods is the way to go, I had a chance to see his shop a while back and he's a really nice guy to talk to.

13. tjm73

tjm73

Who's definition of "correct"? Yours?

Unkl Ian likes this.
  14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think a carb intake and a non computer distributor are being made so you can get close to traditional with that motor,if I can remember correctly the distributor mounts under the intake on the front of the motor somewhere and I cant remember who made them. Jeff

15. tjm73

tjm73

Ford Mod motors are distributorless. MSD makes an ignition driver for the Mod motors though and you can get a carb intake from Sullivan Performance.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  16. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

it will fit , the engines are wider than they are long. i have one stuffed in a 36 ford for a guy that just barley fits. place called The Detail Zone makes a harness for them. u might have to modify the front cross member there kinda big and bulky if its the stock one. have fun

Unkl Ian likes this.
  17. originalspanksta

originalspanksta

mod motors (esp the DOHC variety) are W I D E.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  18. tjm73

tjm73

This is a dressed out 5.4 DOHC. Nice looking IMO

Attached Files:

19. tjm73

tjm73

This is a 4.6 DOHC next to a 302......

Someplace I have a pic of a 5.4 next to a Boss 429. The 5.4 is slightly bigger. EDIT: found it

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Spridle

Spridle

HotRodChassis did one too. Im sure he'd be open to a few questions.

21. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Yeap, they are a WIDE motor. Hank should be jumping in on this thread anytime, i think he's got some pix of the '51 in his shop with one in it.

22. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

The 4.6/5.4 Mods have coil packs, Jeff. No dizzy..... Personally, I wouldn't go this route because of the hassles of wiring the EFI for under 350 cubes. I'm guessing that if a Modular would fit under a Shoebox hood, so would a 460..:)

Jan

23. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

You have to remember,the 5.4 is much taller than a 4.6

24. mungo

mungo
    from Australia

The dressed up 4.6 looks great,i like these engines and would much prefer them over those little orange turds

25. old beet

old beet

I put one in a 39 Ford Ute last year, sure have a lot of shit hangin on them. Oh well, wasn't my car. Give um what they want!!......OLDBEET

26. bantam

bantam

Prior to joining the HAMB I acquired a zero mile fresh 1992-1993 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car 4.6L V8. I too was going to put a mod motor in my shoebox. Two things made me change my mind: the passion for traditional motors shown by the HAMBers and the pain and expense of getting my non-Mustang mod motor to work in my application. Probably just going to sell my motor now that I have rebuilt a flathead for my 49 Ford. Good luck if you pursue the project.

27. wvenfield

wvenfield

The pic of the dressed up mod motor isn't bad but the flathead is a work of art.

It's like asking what base you should paint over your Rockwell so it doesn't show through the landscape you are painting.

Now you may be a wonderful artist and the painting might be wall worthy, but you don't paint over a Rockwell.

If you don't have a work of art and want something to hang, by all means, paint away.

28. Painless has it. The owners son has a mod in his 63/64( i don't 'member the 'zact year) Galaxie

29. Hanksville Hot Rods

Hanksville Hot Rods
    Alliance Vendor
    from Denver-ish

Hey, John, it was nice speaking with you today. You have a solid plan and based on the steering setup and sheetmetal that you are using, I'm sure it'll work. In addition to the Sullivan 1x4 intake, Kar Kraft will soon release 2x4 and 2x3 carb setups. I'll send pics of our SOHC install shortly. LMK if you have any other questions. Good luck and have fun!

Hank

30. Hanksville Hot Rods

Hanksville Hot Rods
    Alliance Vendor
    from Denver-ish

Jeff, I'm not sure if this is the distributor you're talking about, but www.modularmustangracing.com has a front-mounted cam-driven dizzy. You can run it w/ a carb or FI. Very pricey but it's a sweet setup. I'd still recommend the MSD box instead, since it's only around $350 or so and made for use w/ a carb.

Hank

Attached Files: