Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falcon drop spindals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard, Feb 28, 2007.

1. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

falcon springs aint worth a shit after you cut them to get them low enough, before I bagged mine I used 80's model chevy 1/2 pickup springs, as for the bags I used 2500# firestones.

2. Richard

Richard
    from Rocklin,CA

3. Richard

Richard
    from Rocklin,CA

I don't know how many were cut but my old springs are 12' overall and the car had a nice low stance. It also rode well.

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

hell no! i made my own mounts to use regular bags and mounted the shocks off to the side. there was a post onthis topic a week or so ago, search for falcon airbags or something.

5. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

how many coils did you have to cut out of them to make that work? how low did you go? i wanna drop my '64 like 3 in the front...

6. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

DONT go w/ cutting the front coils!! The previous owner of my Ranchero cut the coils. It sits about 3" lower than stock.

The cut coils ride harsh. That harsh ride has cracked the lower seat which the coil sits on.

Dearborne Classics sells custom lowering coils. A local spring shop in your nearby town can probably make you a set too.

In the back I have 3" block. This too is a bad idea because of the scrub line. Currently, if I were to blow out a rear tire, I would be ridding on the shock stud. There is only so much that can be cut off.

I supose that by increasing the wheel dia. I could avoid the scrub line safety issue.

Just my 2 cents
    -----
    The other Falcons and Rancheros pictured on this thread look great. Good to see others working on these machines.

7. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

I dont know how many coils are on a stock spring, because mine were cut when I purchased it.

My Ranchero has 6 coils, so you can do the math.

I personally dont like the ride. It's very harsh due to the lack of the extra coils. As I understand it, a spring gets stiffer as you remove coils. Think of it like this....Say a spring w/ 10 coils suport 10lbs. Each coil is supporting 1lbs. Now remove 3 coils. Now the 7 coils are supporting 10lbs, thats basicly 1.5lbs per coil. This equates to a harsh ride which makes for a choppy ride that can cause control problem in certian situations.

Custom made coils will lower your car just as good, but retain the ride quality. A good ride will reduce wear on other parts like wheel bearings, a-arm bushings and steering components.

Currently, I noticed that the lower spring purch had a huge crack in it. The crack happens to be directly under the coil end. I'm sure that this crack is due to the excessive force created due to the cut coil.

I've got lots to do to my car and money is tight, so I'm still rolling the cut coils. But I do plan on buying lowering springs for my Ranch sometime soon.

Hope this helps. OH, I have 3" lowering blocks in back. Read the above post on the dangers of that set up.

[​IMG]

nuts_over_glass likes this.