Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Timey radios for hot rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Feb 25, 2007.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I want to put a radio in my '34 truck, and I don't want it to look so modern that it's out of place. Knobs, dial, done. Preferably FM stereo. The attached photo of an older Blaupunkt looks about right, but in nice condition they're VERY expensive. Horror stories about Custom Autosound's products keep me away from there.

I read the thread about iPods, but I'm an old fart and don't understand that stuff. I'd like to be able to discuss alternatives with somebody who knows more than I do, but with a circa-1970s technology slant.

Any other bulletin boards, or vendors, that you'd recommend consulting on this topic?

Here are a couple of pictures to illustrate the destination and an acceptable style of radio.

Attached Files:

2. klazurfer

klazurfer

I will also use a late seventies / early eighties style radio in my roadster . ( On-off & volume on the left knob , and dial on the right knob ) I will hide it under the dash ( out of sight ) , and then use a thirties Firestone/Stewart warner radio-head that clamps on the column to controll the radio .( The radio head comes with 2 cables ( like speedometer-cables ) attached to knobs . It also has a dial . )
    Will try to come up with a pic .
    Klaz:)

3. Once upon a time, when 8 tracks meant you were asking for your window to get kicked in and the 8 track swiped, I put one into a 59 Ranchero.

It was mounted on a hinged deal and swung 90 degrees up under the dash then latched in place.

Perhaps the same would work for a modern AM/FM/CD player. in your car.

Just fold it up when you're not using it.

4. klazurfer

klazurfer

5. TheBirdman

TheBirdman

Lot's of modern radios have wireless remotes, Some even have the ability to use an external receiver sensor that could be mounted in a small hole...then mount your head unit out of site, like a glove box so you can still get a cd in if you want. A good stereo shop could help you out with a reasonably priced unit with those capabilities.

TheBirdman

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am not going the old time radio look in my 55 ford convertible but I am going to mount a pioneer reciever with CD under the seat on the drivers side and use a pioneer marine remote in a factory block off plate,even though the radio has a wireless remote I could not see what station its on and the marine remote I am using as a readout so I can see whats going on with the radio and controll it too from the dash. With the radio mounted under the seat I can use the CD function and see whats going on with the marine remote in the dash. If I had the dash out for painting I would of filled the hole for the original radio and just cut it out to fit the modern radio but my dash was nice and did not require repainting. Jeff

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

Come on Old Farts pull the trigger and get an Ipod... it doesn't take much to figure it out, once you do you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

It's like not using an indoor toilet cause you're used to going to the out house!! duh!!!

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

No. I'm certainly capable of using an Ipod, but I don't want one in my vintage truck. I've been using a round knob to turn the radio on, and five preset buttons to select my favorite stations, for fifty years, and it's comfortable to me. I also like the looks of a traditional radio.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Klaz, that Firestone head is great!

9. I'm sure there is at least one place over there that puts modern guts into old radio facias/housings. Can't remember who, but I've seen pics.

Haven't bought a car sound thingy for over 20 years myself, but I look at the ads and catalogues and I don't think a knob exists anymore!

Nothing in the roadster, would be a waste of money due to all the other racket, but the sloper custom, that's another matter. I'll want something more period for that, if not hidden as well.

10. Lessee . . . IPOD's are used mostly by those on foot? :rolleyes:

Music in the garage - CD's there.

Talk shows in the pickup - AM section of the AM/FM/CD gizmo.

Soft noise from the wind and the sounds of a sweet running engine in the roadster.

Did I get it right...? :D

11. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Hey CG- Thanks for the plug ;-)

50Fraud- Sound like you want just an older looking AM/FM radio is that correct? I have an 80's GM Radio (I think from a Citation or similar) that may fit the bill for ya. Looks similar to the Blaupunkt you posted above. I'll take a look at it tonight and let you know if its in good shape. If it works and you want it, I'll send it to you. If I remember correctly, it has an 8 Track player attached to it by a cable... If you dont want the 8track, im sure I can convert it to an Ipod input.... just incase you decide to try one. I'll post what I find tomorrow.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Here is the one I plan on using. It's a 30s/40s Motorola universal-fitall add on probably sold at Pep Boys. The rotary dial and knobs clamp on to the dash edge just like a gauge panel with flexible cables that run down to the box that mounts on the firewall along side the heater. I've be assurred by the radio upgraders that it can easily be upgraded to AM/FM stereo. It ain't cheap but about the same price for a quality stereo. I bet they have a system that will take the Ipod now. You can get them with multi-disc players as well.

I like the early 50s Ford factory radios with the round push buttons. They have the look. It seems to me that old factory radios aren't commanding the big bucks that they once did. A converted 51 Ford radio would be a nice period piece. IMHO

Try to buy a radio with 2 knobs today.:rolleyes: I can't figure out how to turn them off let alone turn down the volume. (A real hazzard when bringing customer cars into the shop.)

13. tomcat46

tomcat46

Do you have any more info on that motorola unit?

A little background; My grandfather, who passed away in '65 was a radio nut. He did communication research for AT&T and the Army. My grandmother passed away this summer. So, my Dad and I got the task of cleaning out Granpa's shop, which really hadn't been touched in 40 years. We filled 2 garbage cans just with all the wire strung around the shop for antennas, speakers etc.! It was a rat's nest of wires through all the joists.

I got to take the junk that nobody wanted and would have gone to the dump. Old worthless stuff like ford script model A tools, boxes of "new" radio tubes, old amps etc. You know, all the "trash";) .

So, one thing I found in the rafters was this Motorola '65' radio unit. I thought it would be cool in my '46 chevy. Then I realized it had a 110 volt power cord coming out of it. I'm pretty sure this is a car unit, like you have. So I have no idea how he wired it for 110.

Anyone have any ideas about this thing? The remote control thing is for country and city, music and talk. Inside it has an amp and tuner, no speaker.

Thanks for any input on whether this is a car radio.

Tom
    [​IMG]

14. kropduster

kropduster

on my 53 chevy, i am going to "french" a newer cd player in the orignal spot on the dash. since the factory block off plate is wider than the radio it leaves me some room to glue a couple magnets. just cover the radio up when not in use.

15. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

on my 53 i'm gonna gut the stock radio and put in a line level power amp that'll still work with the power/volume/what not but i'll run some rca jacks out the back and run an ipod through it. they have FM receivers now i'm told and well, a record player isn't practical so i figure it's time for an ipod.

16. Chevychopper

Chevychopper
    from Smyrna, DE

ryan's got the idea. Instead of putting one of the late model radios in the dash of my 57, i kept the old radio in place and just mounted a new head unit under the seat. its got a remote and my ipod plugs right in. no-one is the wiser. I did the same to my 31 Chevy and used drive-in speakers i restored hung in the back.

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm no radio man for sure, but my guess is that is a remote speaker for some household/commercial radio. It is a cool housing and I'd just mount a modern 12 volt speaker in it and use it.

18. cleverlever

cleverlever

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks, Joe, you understand correctly what I'm after. Any chance you could post or send a picture of the Citation radio?

Tony

20. OldsGuy

OldsGuy

I work at a Motorola Commercial Radio Shop. Had a few "oldtimers" look at it and they agree that it is what we call a "sweet music" radio. In other words an AM radio for personal use. If you can get a speaker for it and find that it works, then you would have to use a power inverter to change the 12vdc to the 110ac which that thing would need. More than likely all the capacitors are dried up and the radio doesn't work. There are people that refurb old radios and I am sure that one would be pretty easy for them to do, they can still get tubes from what was once the Soviet Union. Very cool look though....

21. Be aware that the Citation radio is a vertically oriented device. It would look quite loopy mounted in a traditional manner.
    Cosmo

22. Used to put mine under the seat. After a while you got pretty adept at hitting it with the 8 track ( actually 4 track in my case).

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Joe said it looks similar to the Blaupunkt I posted, so perhaps it's not from a Citation after all.

Tommy, you too have a killer looking control head. Have to admit that that's a tempting approach.

24. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Hi 50Fraud

Sorry I didnt post sooner. I pulled the radio out yesterday and tested it... It works, even the 8 track player worked. needs a quick cleaning and its yours if you want it. I will try to post a pic soon... my camera is MIA right now.

The radio is very similar in appearance to the one you posted above and it is compact in size. AM/FM operation with 4 speaker output. The 8 track player is in a little plastic housing to mount under the dash. If you want, I'll figure out how to remove the 8 track and use it as an Ipod/ portabel CD/ sat radio input.

As soon as I find my camera I'll post the pics.

-Joe-

25. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Yeah the radio I have is not verticle so it must not be for a Citation but it is defintiely a Delco from that era... maybe Sunbird or Olds omega... Anything after 1976 became so "Common" between cars that I dont even keep track of them. I would say that it is around a 1978/9 maybe even into the lower 80s.

26. Dirty Old Nash

Dirty Old Nash

FYI: You can buy a little adapter for iPod/mp3 players that broadcasts short range FM. They are usually powered by both 12v and AA. Just tune your car radio to the adapters frequency and listen to whatever you want. I got one last year at some big box electronics store for $20 and we used it in our decrepit '84 motorhome all the way to Bonneville. A real lifesaver - there's nothing but Country & Jesus stations in the Mojave and Nevada.

27. Squablow

Squablow

Squablow's discount old timey AM/FM radio warehouse and emporium can service all your discount old timey AM/FM radio needs.

Any of these pretty faces strike your fancy? Don't worry if they're dusty, they just need a good cleaning. As you can see, there's more on the shelves if you don't see what you need. At least one of these has built-in 8 track if that's what you're looking for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Joe and Squablow, you guys are both aces. Thank you for your kind offers.

Joe, I'd still like to see the Delco before I bite; I don't want to bother you with shipping it if it's not what I'm looking for. I really think the Blaupunkt faceplate and knobs are just about right. Not like they match the SW/Haneline stuff that's in the dash, but they're similar in flavor.

And Squablow, let me hold off until I've finished this conversation with Joe.

Again, many thanks!

29. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Sorry... Heres a pic of it. The 8 track player is not connected to it except by a cable, I just put them ontop of each other for the picture.

Attached Files: